TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #91
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Add me to the list...wanted the Chippendales to win, wanted the Twinnies to lose, got half of what I wanted.
Finally got to watching this last night. This sums it up pretty much. Was SOOO glad to see the twinnies finish in 4th, especially with how their disdain for the Beekmans had been more and more prevalent recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I'm glad to see the rockers made it out of Russia.
I was watching to see if they were there, and I'm glad they were

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I thought of it had to do with their tone, which seemed very contemptuous. I also think if they were African-American, and some team referred to them as "the blacks" it would sound racist.
To me, it was definitely in the way that they said it that was very off putting.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #92
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

You can tell how complacent the teams have gotten by always having a clue box or bright yellow clue cards somewhere--they were all clueless (no pun intended!) by the billboard clue. Amazing Race definitely needs more clues like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #93
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I'd love to watch a season of The Amazing Race with all nice-guy teams. We could have the Chippendales, the cowboys, Oswald & Danny, and others. Over the past twenty-one seasons, there are lots of teams that would be nice to watch again.
I could go for an all-star season like that.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #94
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
You can tell how complacent the teams have gotten by always having a clue box or bright yellow clue cards somewhere--they were all clueless (no pun intended!) by the billboard clue. Amazing Race definitely needs more clues like that.
I seem to recall than in early seasons, the clues were more like clues, rather than the detailed directions they seem to get nowadays. I liked that much better.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #95
zalusky

Quote:
I'd love to watch a season of The Amazing Race with all nice-guy teams. We could have the Chippendales, the cowboys, Oswald & Danny, and others. Over the past twenty-one seasons, there are lots of teams that would be nice to watch again.
The thing is its all about the editing to create bad guys and good guys. The people in this season were all good guys and just edited that way.

It would be interesting to have a DVD where you could select who was the good guy and who was the bad guy.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #96
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypacman View Post
The beekmans were a lousy team but could have had the best AR come back of all. I have never seen such a weak team perform so well in the final 2 legs of the race. Kudos to them for picking up their game and actually being competitive.
That's not quite right. Let's not forget the fact that they allowed the twins to catch up with them after doing a sped bump!

And they were the only team that screwed up the pizza challenge.

They had more luck than skill. They were lucky the Texan couple couldn't do the flag challenge.

They earned their win, but I don't think they 'raised' their game to a new level. They were just middle of the road and kept getting lucky.

Last edited by verdugan : 12-12-2012 at 03:34 PM.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #97
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
All the homophobia talk is ridiculous. You're reading way too much into some playful trash talk in the middle of a competition. Lighten up.
Agreed. It's like saying that the other teams are xenophobic for calling the twins "Sri Lanka" rather than "Twins."
Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #98
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdugan View Post
They earned their win, but I don't think they 'raised' their game to a new level. They were just middle of the road and kept getting lucky.
Given how incompetent they had been, being halfway competent would count as raising their game to a new level!

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #99
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Also, who goes to a country and doesn't learn how to at least say "hello" and "goodbye" in the local language?
They aren't necessarily in these countries all that long, so trying to pick that up might be difficult (especially with goodbye, I know personally I'm far more likely to pick up hello and thank you than I would be goodbye).

I did like that they managed to find a way to keep the teams on their toes with the end challenge. At this point teams that have seen previous seasons are almost certainly taking notes on where they've been expecting a challenge at the end where they have to come up with that, so having them find a way to do that and not be the same as previous years is good.

As for the memory/notes thing, I can't remember which years, but there's been at least once (And I'm not convinced it's not more than once) that they've had to do the last challenge without notes. Hmm, looking one wiki for the series, season 19 where they had the vertical wall challenge they weren't allowed notes. I'm too lazy to look for more .
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #100
laria
Librocubicularist

They should make the challege, how to say "FAST FAST!" in the local languages. Everyone will get "Rapido rapido!"
Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #101
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I seem to recall than in early seasons, the clues were more like clues, rather than the detailed directions they seem to get nowadays. I liked that much better.
I'm sure those season were also a lot more expensive. I don't really have any hope they'll go back to that. The race aspect is gone now, we only have challenges. I wish that on "All Star Seasons" they revert back to the race aspect.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #102
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
They should make the challege, how to say "FAST FAST!" in the local languages. Everyone will get "Rapido rapido!"
And "Please, please! This is for a million dollars!!!"
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #103
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
The thing is its all about the editing to create bad guys and good guys. The people in this season were all good guys and just edited that way.

It would be interesting to have a DVD where you could select who was the good guy and who was the bad guy.
Yeah, I am not sure the show is as fun to watch with all "good guy" teams. You really do need those teams in there you root against as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #104
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
Ryan didn't need any editing to sound like a big db.

However, I don't think he was a bad guy.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #105
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I was surprised that most of the teams knew how to say "fast fast" in Indonesian. I think I heard it in at least one or two other languages as well.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #106
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Yeah, I am not sure the show is as fun to watch with all "good guy" teams. You really do need those teams in there you root against as well.
HWSNBN. Colin. Just two examples. I believe Colin's ox is, indeed, still broken.

I don't want my TAR to be WITHOUT these people, I just want them to lose and lose bad at a key point in the race.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #107
Inundated
Face For Radio

I wonder if Jonathan still reads the TAR threads here...
Old 12-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #108
Inundated
Face For Radio

TWOP's Miss Alli with the recap of Colin's Follies, Broken Ox Division:

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...er.php?page=20

Quote:
Just his luck, Colin has wound up with the world's only broken ox working for him. And it's not broken in the sense that it's injured, unless he suspects it of having one leg shorter than the others in such a way that it goes in circles. No, it's broken in the sense that just as you should be able to pick up a Jack-in-the-box, turn the crank, and have the little guy pop out, he thinks you should be able to pick up a rope, tell an ox where to go, and he should go there. And if he doesn't? Well, he's obviously broken. Flawed! Colin has been given nonfunctioning equipment!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #109
realityboy

It was a decent season, but the ending was a bit disappointing. I'm all for rooting for the underdogw if they've just had bad luck, but these guys just weren't good at anything. I liked the way that the other 3 teams worked together and was hoping for a real race between them at the end. I didn't really get the Beekman's being upset that the others were working together. They definitely benefited tron it with the elimination of Abbie and Ryan.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #110
tiams

Quote:
Disappointing.
Very.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Really? Why? The twins were referred to as the "Sri Lankans" by some. Is that racist too?
I agree with the point you are trying to make. Sri Lankan isn't a race, but neither is gay.

Quote:
There are several names that could have been applied to the Beekman Boys including the Beekmans (not actually their last name), the farmers, or even their names. To me, it seems that choosing to call them "the gays" or "the evil gays" shows a level of ignorance or malice.
I called them the Deep-V Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggt007 View Post
i am indifferent to any of those final 3 winning, but the beekmans might put the money to good use on some goats or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
I was sorry to see the Beekman Boys win. I thought they were really mediocre competitors for most of the race. They came in last one leg and never did finish the synchonized swimming. If it weren't for the rocker dudes losing their passport they would have been gone.

I really liked the twins. Yes, they were loud and annoying but they seemed to be having so much fun which is a nice alternative to the drearyness of the Beekmans and the other team who anti-raced together way in last place for two legs. I also felt that their heckling of the boys during the dog food challenge was done with loving competitive hate and that the boys were taking it that way.
agree with all of that.

I hate that instead of the Chippendales winning for their charity, two professional reality TV stars who are also a rich physician and author won.

I hate when a team that twice benefited from a non-elim wins. They also had the advantage of the producers changing the rules to help them. They got very lucky and were helped to win by producers. At one point they were like 12 hours behind! They didn't deserve to win at all. They ran a terrible race and shouldn't have even been in the final leg.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #111
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I hate when a team that twice benefited from a non-elim wins. They also had the advantage of the producers changing the rules to help them. They got very lucky and were helped to win by producers. At one point they were like 12 hours behind! They didn't deserve to win at all. They ran a terrible race and shouldn't have even been in the final leg.
While I was also disappointed they won, they only benefitted from the non-elim once (the other two times were James and Abba and the Twinnies). I also don't see how they were aided by the producers. During the first season of TAR, the producers allowed teams to get so spread out that by the finale, there was a team thousands of miles behind. It was a logistical nightmare and ruined the suspense that should have been present in the finale. Ever since then, they've made sure to design the race so that there are equalizers every couple of legs so that nobody ever gets too far behind. So the Beekmans simply benefitted from the way the race is designed as a TV show, not because of any special treatment from the producers.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #112
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
During the first season of TAR, the producers allowed teams to get so spread out that by the finale, there was a team thousands of miles behind. It was a logistical nightmare and ruined the suspense that should have been present in the finale.
Well, there was still suspense about who would win of the two teams who made it to NYC. Not so much about the guys who were still in Alaska, though.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #113
robojerk

Quote:
Well, there was still suspense about who would win of the two teams who made it to NYC. Not so much about the guys who were still in Alaska, though.
Also the guys in Alaska were that far behind due to their own stupidity. The legs were a lot longer in that season so in the leg to make the final 3 (philiminating team 4) they felt like they could actually check in to a hotel, and sip coffee at a cafe after winning the "Fast Forward" instead of checking in at the mat. If they had moved on they actually could have been with the other teams in in NYC. It was not the fault of production.

The team that was eliminated skipped a challenge. They felt defeated after losing the Fast Forward and thought they were out. They would have been in the finale if they had just completed the challenge.

Last edited by robojerk : 12-16-2012 at 01:29 PM.
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #114
tiams

Quote:
While I was also disappointed they won, they only benefitted from the non-elim once (the other two times were James and Abba and the Twinnies). I also don't see how they were aided by the producers. During the first season of TAR, the producers allowed teams to get so spread out that by the finale, there was a team thousands of miles behind. It was a logistical nightmare and ruined the suspense that should have been present in the finale. Ever since then, they've made sure to design the race so that there are equalizers every couple of legs so that nobody ever gets too far behind. So the Beekmans simply benefitted from the way the race is designed as a TV show, not because of any special treatment from the producers.
They were aided by the producers by not having to wait out their penalty before checking in. They were allowed to check in before the rockers even though they should have had to wait. The rockers should have been allowed to check-in first. In every other season, a team that has a penalty has to wait it out BEFORE they can check in. Since they were allowed to check-in first, the rockers were forced to do the speed bump when the goaters should have been the team that had to do the speed bump. In addition, they didn't have to keep attempting the synchronized swimming challenge. They were given a pass and the explanation was that the pool was closing. Technically, they should have had to wait until it opened again, just as teams who arrive at a closed location have to wait for it to open.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #115
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post

They were aided by the producers by not having to wait out their penalty before checking in. They were allowed to check in before the rockers even though they should have had to wait. The rockers should have been allowed to check-in first. In every other season, a team that has a penalty has to wait it out BEFORE they can check in. Since they were allowed to check-in first, the rockers were forced to do the speed bump when the goaters should have been the team that had to do the speed bump. In addition, they didn't have to keep attempting the synchronized swimming challenge. They were given a pass and the explanation was that the pool was closing. Technically, they should have had to wait until it opened again, just as teams who arrive at a closed location have to wait for it to open.
The producers did pull some shenanigans on that leg, but it was the Rockers who benefitted. Had the rules stayed as they've been in the past, the Rockers simply would have been eliminated in that leg. Then it wouldn't have mattered whether the four-hour penalty was at the end of one leg or the beginning of the next. The only reason the producers had to change things is because that was a planned non-elim leg so they had to figure out an appropriate way to penalize both teams. Since the non-elim was the only reason the Rockers were still there, they were the ones who got it and had to do the speed bump.

And the Beekmans wouldn't have had to wait until the next morning to finish the synchro. They would have simply taken the penalty associated with not completing a challenge, which they probably should have taken as soon as they tried it a couple times and realized it was hopeless.

Finally, the producers strategically place "hours of operation" delays into the race to act as equalizers. They are there to make the logistics of filming the race easier. That's exactly the opposite of what would have happened if the Beekmans had been forced to wait all night and continue the synchro challenge the next morning.

Always remember that this is a TV show first and a race second.