TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: About how often do you watch "live" TV (non-recorded/time-shifted/buffered) on a TiVo
I never or very rarely watch "live" TV on a TiVo 61 29.61%
Once every several months 6 2.91%
Once every few months 6 2.91%
Once a month 5 2.43%
A few times a month 17 8.25%
Once a week 11 5.34%
A few times a week 21 10.19%
Once a day 16 7.77%
Several times a day 63 30.58%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #61
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
EP?!?! I typically used the speed that gave you two hours on a standard tape since the quality was better. Especially after I went to SVHS.
Like I say.. I am "theoretically" a video snob, but recording TIME wins out every time. That's why I record virtually all SD even though I have 2 (plus one dead one) HD capable recorders and a HD TV.
Even if I have a 2 TB drive in my Tivos, that wouldn't allow me to store very much HD.

When I was recording analog, I would use higher than Basic (lowest quality) once in a rare while, but not very often.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #62
swerver

Some people sure get worked up when other tivo users watch live tv, personally I don't care and don't quite get why it bugs others so much. On the other hand... using an hd tv with an hd dvr, yet recording and watching sd? That I will never understand...
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #63
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Some people sure get worked up when other tivo users watch live tv, personally I don't care and don't quite get why it bugs others so much. On the other hand... using an hd tv with an hd dvr, yet recording and watching sd? That I will never understand...
Why, my wife uses SD in her recordings, she just does not care, so why should I fight with her over that, we have all HD TVs and Series 4 TPs.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #64
SullyND
L:27-31

I could not care less about HD for anything other than Football, and even there only a little less.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #65
compnurd

99% of what we watch is in HD
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #66
atmuscarella

Well when it comes to TV entertainment (versus news) there are 3 parts to every show:
  • The plot (the story)
  • The visual experience
  • The audio experience
How important each of the above is to someone is certainly personal. I prefer the whole package as apparently do others on this forum. However there are budget limitations to everyone's "home theater". I am guessing that for many people along with not caring that much about the visual or audio experience they have not spent enough money to actually make higher quality video or audio look or sound that much different.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #67
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Only when my parents are visiting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #68
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
You do realize that some channels are still only available in SD, right? Yep, they're niche channels but on Comcast there's a bunch of them. Stuff like Military, NASA, a bunch of Encores, etc.

I agree that there's no point to recording the SD equivalent if HD is available, but some folks are too lazy to remove the SD equivalents from the guide and so their ARWLs sometimes get SD.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #69
mlippert

I voted Once every few months. However, if the poll was for watching an entire show "live" then I should have voted almost never.

Even if I start watching a show live I will inevitably rewind to watch something again, or pause during a commercial.

I never turn on the tivo/TV with the intent of watching a "live" show. When I watch anything live, I inevitably am starting in the middle as it was a result of channel surfing or the Tivo having reverted to live tv and my getting interested in the show, at which point I will frequently go to the beginning of the show in the tivo buffer, or at least as far back in the show as I can.
mlippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:09 AM   #70
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
You do realize that some channels are still only available in SD, right? Yep, they're niche channels but on Comcast there's a bunch of them. Stuff like Military, NASA, a bunch of Encores, etc.

I agree that there's no point to recording the SD equivalent if HD is available, but some folks are too lazy to remove the SD equivalents from the guide and so their ARWLs sometimes get SD.
. . . And I'll bet their TiVo's have a clock blinking 12:00.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #71
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I'm in complete shock that nearly a third of the folks on this board are watching live TV daily. While it seems like some of those are news-oriented, I'm still surprised. Skipping commercials was my number 2 reason for a tivo, number 1 was to timeshift shows that were inappropriate for kids, and managing the buffer is simply too much work (for me).

I wonder how this would translate outside of the walls of TCF? Makes it more clear why Tivo has such a hard time expanding when live TV remains so prevalent.
I'm an ex-TiVo user, but I'll still comment, since I'm using MCE, which is like a stripped-down TiVo with the crashes you associate with Microsoft, so it's a pretty fair comparison.

I watch live news usually twice a day. For me, a DVR is absolutely necessary to enjoy cable TV, but at the same time, there are some programs that are inherently only useful live. I also watch sports occasionally, where a DVR has no use.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #72
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
I also watch sports occasionally, where a DVR has no use.
Totally disagree with this. Soccer is great to pick up overnight and watch "as if" live, while being able to get a bite to eat without missing anything.

Also great to watch football and tennis to see the action and not the fluff and commercials. Just start watching an hour (or two) later and get it in in half the time.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #73
aaronwt
HD Addict

I think any sport is great to watch with a DVR. Anything on TV that has commercials can benefit from the use of a DVR.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #74
Bigg

Quote:
Totally disagree with this. Soccer is great to pick up overnight and watch "as if" live, while being able to get a bite to eat without missing anything.

Also great to watch football and tennis to see the action and not the fluff and commercials. Just start watching an hour (or two) later and get it in in half the time.
I don't want to watch a game where I already know what happens. It takes all of the fun out of it. I won't DVR games at all.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #75
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
I don't want to watch a game where I already know what happens. It takes all of the fun out of it. I won't DVR games at all.
How will you know what happened if you don't jump to the end and choose not to research it? It is no different than a movie spoiler- just don't expose yourself to them.

(Personally, I don't understand why people like sports, but I do understand the concept)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #76
aaronwt
HD Addict

With the social connections like Twitter I guess it could be difficult to watch some sports delayed. A good example was an NFL playoff game. A co-worker had planed on watching it delayed by around an hour on his DVR, but he kept getting tweets during the game from his Mom, sisters and brother who are all located around the country. All tweeting about the game since they were watching it live. So he had no choice but to quickly catch up to the live feed because of that.

For me, there is almost nothing worse than being forced to watch a ton of commercials. For football there is already more than two hours of extraneous crap during a football game between commercials and other things going on. And if you break it down to actual play time it's even worse, since even though a football game is 60 minutes, the majority of that time when the game clock is counting down, there is still nothing going on.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #77
ybtrue

The only "Live" tv I watch is Basketball. Everything else is recorded.
ybtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #78
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
With the social connections like Twitter I guess it could be difficult to watch some sports delayed. A good example was an NFL playoff game. A co-worker had planed on watching it delayed by around an hour on his DVR, but he kept getting tweets during the game from his Mom, sisters and brother who are all located around the country. All tweeting about the game since they were watching it live. So he had no choice but to quickly catch up to the live feed because of that.
Seriously? The solution to that is watch the game, not your phone/tab.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #79
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Seriously? The solution to that is watch the game, not your phone/tab.
Well his family is scattered around the country. His mom is in her late 80's so I can understand doing what he did. Since you are interacting with your family which he does not do very often. If I were in the same situation I would have done the same thing. But fortunately I don't need to worry about it since my Mom and Dad do not use Twitter, Facebook etc. Plus my entire family lives near me. We aren't scattered around the country.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #80
JoeKustra
Cable only

I guess there is one item of this thread most interesting to me: the equality between "always" and "never". What's missing though is the source of your content. If you have OTA only then I doubt your TiVo gives you CNBC or The Weather Channel so you can't use it as a sweet STB to lose the cable company's junk. With cable you may have a selection of 200+ channels, OTA not so much. Even with cable I probably only have two dozen in the guide as favorites. OTA doesn't repeat as often so more reasons to record prime time.

I use my TiVo all day to watch "live" TV. During prime time I let it record shows that I usually watch on weekends and use the TV "live" or listen to CDs or Pandora. A delayed sporting event is ok if you can't watch it live, but it's like recording the news. Recording late night shows is good if you need something to do on a snowy day, or if you are retired, or just hate commercials. Nothing gets me going like The Daily Show in the morning. Like some others, I usually select one or two shows to record by the season for those dry spells.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #81
jrtroo
User

Hell, I even watched the superbowl delayed by nearly two hours. I watched a movie, then was able to watch the game in the same amount of time, while viewing the best commercials. Close the laptop lid and put down the phone.

But, everyone can enjoy it how they want. A football game watched this way lets you finish at about real time and in around an hour.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #82
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
How will you know what happened if you don't jump to the end and choose not to research it? It is no different than a movie spoiler- just don't expose yourself to them.

(Personally, I don't understand why people like sports, but I do understand the concept)
Internet, newspaper, tv news. And it just isn't the same knowing it's not live. I've got a basketball game on now (halftime), and no way I would use DVR functions. I actually don't even have the remotes near me when I'm watching it, just a soda and a quilt. It's juts on for the time it's on.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #83
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Internet, newspaper, tv news.
I guarantee you I see or hear NOTHING about "sports" on any of the above. It is not that difficult.

Quote:
And it just isn't the same knowing it's not live. I've got a basketball game on now (halftime), and no way I would use DVR functions. I actually don't even have the remotes near me when I'm watching it, just a soda and a quilt. It's juts on for the time it's on.
Well, to each his own! I don't see anything interesting, mystical, exciting, or special to some sport activity being live vs. delayed a minute vs. delayed an hour vs. delayed a day. The outcome really has no real bearing on life anyway, so it isn't time sensitive.

Of course, the more it is delayed/time shifted, the greater the chance of a spoiler. That I can appreciate. But, again, that is no different than a movie or people talking about the episode of SVU you have not watched yet or whatever.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #84
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I guarantee you I see or hear NOTHING about "sports" on any of the above. It is not that difficult.

Well, to each his own! I don't see anything interesting, mystical, exciting, or special to some sport activity being live vs. delayed a minute vs. delayed an hour vs. delayed a day. The outcome really has no real bearing on life anyway, so it isn't time sensitive.

Of course, the more it is delayed/time shifted, the greater the chance of a spoiler. That I can appreciate. But, again, that is no different than a movie or people talking about the episode of SVU you have not watched yet or whatever.
It's very time sensitive if you talk to other people about the sports, like I was texting a friend about the game during commercial breaks. Sports are different because the game is focused on a single outcome- win/lose, and it's a live event.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #85
jrtroo
User

What you are saying is that the actual watching live is irrelevant.

However, what you are saying about the social aspect of sports is completely relevant. At that point, I would go out to a bar and really socialize, if possible.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #86
Bigg

Quote:
What you are saying is that the actual watching live is irrelevant.

However, what you are saying about the social aspect of sports is completely relevant. At that point, I would go out to a bar and really socialize, if possible.
My friend was in another town an hour away, and we still texted about the game... Same for Facebook for other alumni.