TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
SNJpage1

Converting Tivo files

I have a lot of concerts that I tivo'ed and wanted to just keep certain songs. Ive seen a lot of posts on programs that will convert a Tivo file to a usuable one for editing out parts that you don't want. They all seemed a little hard to use from reading the posts about them. So I looked around and for $29 I bought a program from Roxio called Video Copy and Convert 5. Turns out it will convert a .tivo file to a lot of different formats while removing the wrapper. I selected the WMV format. This allowed me to edit it in Windows Movie Maker and then save it as a MPEG4 file that I transferred back to the Tivo. I couldn't get it to fill the whole screen but it fills about 80% of it.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

VideoReDo is a lot easier for this sort of thing. I know it costs more, but you could have opened the TiVo file directly, edited however you wanted, and saved it directly to an MP4 file that would transferred to your TiVo will full screen video.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
lrhorer

That was a shameless plug for a product he produces, but he is absolutely correct. Many, many people here have tried many products, both commercial and freeware, and the overwhelming consensus is VRD is the platform of choice for what you are doing. There are some niche applications where other products work better, but for the price VRD is almost impossible to beat.

Now if they would only listen to my perpetual begging and produce a Linux suite...
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

VideoReDo does work very well.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
That was a shameless plug for a product he produces
I usually try to avoid being a shill, but in this case it seemed necessary.

Dan
Old 10-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
lrhorer

Not to mention almost irresistably easy?
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Dan
Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I usually try to avoid being a shill, but in this case it seemed necessary.

Dan
You forgot to mention the 15 day free trial.

Once he uses it and sees how easy it is...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
mattack

If there was a Mac version, and it allowed frame accurate editing, and played ALL video types, I wouldn't mind the spam.

(Currently, I use MPEG Streamclip, but it won't PLAY some files. mPlayer plays virtually everything, but it has no editing interface, so I have to tediously find the start/endpoints and still edit with MPEG Streamclip.. which works even on the files it can't play.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
You forgot to mention the 15 day free trial
My recollection is the 15 day trial is useless for all except making sure the app works as advertised. I recall only be able to edit the first few minutes of a video or something. (Years ago so my memory is appropriately hazy about the details.)
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
waynomo
My One Time

Kmttg is great for getting the videos off TiVo and decoding to MPG.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
My recollection is the 15 day trial is useless for all except making sure the app works as advertised. I recall only be able to edit the first few minutes of a video or something. (Years ago so my memory is appropriately hazy about the details.)
You have to register for a 'trial key' to get full functionality, otherwise you are limited to 15 minutes of video output on your edit (or something like that).

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 AM   #13
SNJpage1

How hard is the learning curve for using VideoReDo? I dont want to have to do any command line things just want a nice interface to work with.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #14
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
How hard is the learning curve for using VideoReDo? I dont want to have to do any command line things just want a nice interface to work with.
Took me about 10 minutes for the basics, and after editing 3 or 4 videos I bought my license. Best, most intuitive UI for editing videos I have ever seen.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
SNJpage1

Looks like I should have downloaded the trial ver before buying the other program. I have tried the trial ver and it will do what I need to do. I did have a problem after trying it. I started having a problem getting it to run. I had already had it run a couple of times but then nothing. I would click on the desktop icon and nothing would happen. After doing the uninstall/reinstall everything was OK.
Now I just have to decide which ver I want to buy.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

If you have any problems with it let me know. Or you can post over on our forums and either I, or one of my colleagues, will reply quickly.

Dan
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJpage1 View Post
All the most common features are extremely easy. There are lots of configuration options, so setting everything up exactly the way you want or need can take some time, but lots of users can use it right out of the box, as it were. If you are transcoding your material, there are lots of canned coding profiles, as well, and one or more of them may work perfectly for you. If not, you can always tweak them.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #18
jcthorne

Did the full TVSuite version ever add ac3 audio encoding?

I bought and use the basic mpeg2 version extensivly for editing but still have to have meGUI do the mp4 encoding. Would sure be nice to do it all in one program.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

We only do AC3 pass through. So if your source file has AC3 then you can save the file, even to MP4, and retain the AC3 audio. However you can not convert from another format to AC3, or adjust the audio volume on an AC3 file, because we do not have an AC3 encoder. (the licensing for 5.1 AC3 encoder is very expensive and difficult to get)

Dan