TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #31
Jon J
Curmudgeon

Could only make it through about 20 minutes.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #32
Craigbob

I'm not sure what to make of it. I agree with much of what was posted above. Marilyn came across as very Wedensday Addams like. None of the family was like the original series counterparts.

There was a very big Pushing Dasies feel to it. I liked it and I didn't. I think it needs more time to grow into something. Too bad it won't get the chance.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #33
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon J View Post
Could only make it through about 20 minutes
I wasn't expecting much, and was not disappointed. I watched it, but there is no way I would ever set up an SP for it, or even watch an additional episode. It was schizophrenic, going from a comedy, to serious horror, to light horror, to comedy again--and it didn't succeed at any of them!

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #34
waynomo
My One Time

Just watched the other night. I grew up with the Munsters and Addams Family. I always like the AF more. However, I really enjoyed how they updated and re-invisioned the family. In the original Marilyn was completely normal. (Her only quirk was not seeing the quirkiness of her family.) Here she was a little twisted. I liked that. I thought Portia was a great Lily.

I think it would be tough to make it a long lasting series, but I would love to see them try.

I was pleasantly surprised by the whole thing.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #35
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigbob View Post
I'm not sure what to make of it. I agree with much of what was posted above. Marilyn came across as very Wedensday Addams like. None of the family was like the original series counterparts.

There was a very big Pushing Dasies feel to it. I liked it and I didn't. I think it needs more time to grow into something. Too bad it won't get the chance.
I'm just not seeing pushing daisies. Someone please explain what was pushing daisies about it.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #36
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
I'm just not seeing pushing daisies. Someone please explain what was pushing daisies about it.
The cinematography

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #37
Michael S

I'm in the I liked it category also. The only thing I didn't like was Grampa turning into a gargoyle like creature. If NBC doesn't have much faith in this why don't they ship it off to Syfy? It might find a audience over their.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #38
Craigbob

Quote:
As someone else mentioned the cinematography, but also the feel of it maybe the writing/dialog had something to do with it. But I kept expecting Ned the piemaker to show up, or one of the other quirky characters from PD.

I agree it was a very schizophrenic show, almost as if the writer/director couldn't make up their mind on how to play it.

I think the woman that played Lilly was hot. I don't recall seeing her before.

Marilyn felt like she walked out of a Tim Burton movie with the way she was presented.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #39
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
I'm in the I liked it category also. The only thing I didn't like was Grampa turning into a gargoyle like creature. If NBC doesn't have much faith in this why don't they ship it off to Syfy? It might find a audience over their.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for syfy. The pilot cost $10 million to make.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #40
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive for syfy. The pilot cost $10 million to make.
Syfy has had shows that cost $10 million to make.

Of course, that was for an entire season...
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #41
TonyD79

Quote:

As someone else mentioned the cinematography, but also the feel of it maybe the writing/dialog had something to do with it. But I kept expecting Ned the piemaker to show up, or one of the other quirky characters from PD.

I agree it was a very schizophrenic show, almost as if the writer/director couldn't make up their mind on how to play it.

Marilyn felt like she walked out of a Tim Burton movie with the way she was presented.
So, any sort of brightly colored show is Pushing Daisies. BTW, this had nowhere near the pallet of PD. I could make a better case for it looking like Suburgatory.

And there was not a single character that wasn't a "realistic" take on the existing Munster characters. PD was the opposite. Every character was an exaggerated normal person.

I submit that people are comparing it to PD because of the creator, not because of the show.

As for lily, you never saw arrested development or know of Ellen degeneres, her wife?

Oh. I think you got it closer. More like Tim Burton than Bryan Singer.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #42
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
You need to watch a little show called "Arrested Development."

Old 11-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #43
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Or a show *much* more to my liking, "Better Off Ted."
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #44
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

She was awesome in Better Off Ted also, man can she rattle off dialog when she needs to.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #45
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Or a movie called Sirens.

I don't know if the movie is any good, but the pictures from it are.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #46
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:

That's a worthy smeek since it was that good of a show
Old 11-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #47
Craigbob

Quote:
So, any sort of brightly colored show is Pushing Daisies. BTW, this had nowhere near the pallet of PD. I could make a better case for it looking like Suburgatory.

And there was not a single character that wasn't a "realistic" take on the existing Munster characters. PD was the opposite. Every character was an exaggerated normal person.

I submit that people are comparing it to PD because of the creator, not because of the show.

As for lily, you never saw arrested development or know of Ellen degeneres, her wife?

Oh. I think you got it closer. More like Tim Burton than Bryan Singer.
Not every brightly colored show is Pushing Daisys. But the lighting, camera angles, set design all felt like PD to me.

Never saw Arrested Development, nor do I follow the personal lives of people on TV so she is an unknown to me.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #48
Craigbob

Quote:

I think you're right. I've never seen it. But that picture gives me a reason to.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #49
astrohip
Stuart F

NBC Officially Passes on Mockingbird Lane

http://tvline.com/2012/12/27/mocking...-series-order/
Quote:
Mockingbird Lane proved to be a dead end.

NBC has decided not to order to series the reboot of The Munsters, which had been shepherded by Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies).

“I tweet with a heavy heart,” Fuller said on Thursday. “NBC not moving forward with #MockingbirdLane. From producers and cast, thank you all for enthusiasm and support.

The Mockingbird Lane pilot — which NBC aired as a pre-Halloween special — drew 5.4 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating, giving the network its best demo in the Fridays-at-8 time slot in two years. After its debut, TVLine readers gave the sneak peek an average grade of “B+” in our poll.

The modernized Munster family featured The Defenders‘ Jerry O’Connell as Frankenstein-ish Herman, Arrested Development‘s Portia de Rossi as his vampire wife Lily, Spy Kids: All The Time in the World 4D‘s Mason Cook as their budding werewolf son Eddie, British actress Charity Wakefield as cousin Marilyn (aka the normal one) and The Riches‘ Eddie Izzard as the ravenous Grandpa.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #50
busyba
The Funcooker

That's too bad. I'm disappointed, although I'm not surprised. It looked wicked expensive to make.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #51
Michael S

Well submitted for your approval Bryan Singer will be doing not only sight but of sound at the next flagpole up ahead Bryan Singer will be doing a reboot of the Twilight Zone.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/19/cbs-twilight-zone/
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #52
Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
Well submitted for your approval Bryan Singer will be doing not only sight but of sound at the next flagpole up ahead Bryan Singer will be doing a reboot of the Twilight Zone.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/19/cbs-twilight-zone/
Again?

The only way this might work is if they make it a continuous arc like American Horror Story. It can't be a single episode, shock the viewers at the end, format. There's nothing that can be attempted today that will consistently surprise the audience or be creative as a one and done.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #53
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family View Post
Again?

The only way this might work is if they make it a continuous arc like American Horror Story. It can't be a single episode, shock the viewers at the end, format. There's nothing that can be attempted today that will consistently surprise the audience or be creative as a one and done.
The last reboot had a good idea. They had a follow up episode of one of the old episodes with the original actors. It was "it's a good life", where the boy had psychic powers.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #54
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Of course. It never fails, it seems most anything I like these days gets the axe.

/kicks rock

Oh well, I don't think this show was really suited for NBC. It's seems like it would be more up FOX's alley.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote