TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
OjaiDJC

New HD for an old Series 1 TiVo

I was given a Philips TiVo Series 1. The prior owner had installed a larger 160MB hard drive, but when I hooked it up, it would not complete the boot up process. He had given me two older smaller drives. I hooked up just one of the smaller drives (labeled A) and the device completed booting and set up and seemed to work fine. Only problem is that the older drive makes a loud whining noise. So here are my questions: Can I just go out and buy any new hard drive, or do I need to buy a specific kind (size or make)? Will the device will automatically format and set up the new hard drive once installed?
OjaiDJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
You need a PATA (IDE) drive, or a SATA drive with a SATA to IDE adapter. The TiVo Upgrade Center is where such things are discussed.

You will also need a disk image which you use with MFSlive software to install onto the drive. Again, please go to the Upgrade Center for discussion of disk replacement techniques.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OjaiDJC View Post
I was given a Philips TiVo Series 1. The prior owner had installed a larger 160MB hard drive, but when I hooked it up, it would not complete the boot up process. He had given me two older smaller drives. I hooked up just one of the smaller drives (labeled A) and the device completed booting and set up and seemed to work fine. Only problem is that the older drive makes a loud whining noise. So here are my questions: Can I just go out and buy any new hard drive, or do I need to buy a specific kind (size or make)? Will the device will automatically format and set up the new hard drive once installed?
List the brands and model numbers of the drives you have.

Also, do you have a computer to which you can hook up hard drives temporarily? Does it have the older PATA/IDE controllers, or just the newer SATA ports, or both?

Have you ever opened up a computer to replace or add something? Like a hard drive, more memory, et cetera?

The TiVo itself will not format the drive for you, but we can show you how to do it yourself with the help of software written for that purpose, and can direct you to where to download the necessary software for the TiVo drive itself.

Be aware that for some reason a Western Digital Caviar Blue will not work in a Series 1. Works in a Series 2 just fine, and probably in newer TiVos as well, but there's something about them that the ultra-finicky Series 1 does not like.

That's true for both PATA/IDE and SATA Caviar Blues.

Speaking of finicky, only a SATA/IDE adapter with a Marvell chipset will work in a Series 1.

Also, does this Series 1 you were given have a lifetime subscription?

If you give TiVo the TiVo Service Number from the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in, they can tell you the current account status.

If it does have Product Lifetime Service, find out if it was purchased on or before January 20, 2000. If so, it is eligible to have that lifetime sub transferred one time to another TiVo, even the newest ones.

(lifetime means life of the TiVo, not of the owner, and it was a failure to be specific about this in the beginning that led to that "grandfather" clause for lifetime subs purchased before that cutoff)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote