TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #2221
Kracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-ball-fanatic View Post
Lifetime is not transferable.
It was at one point. Is it no longer?

Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM   #2222
L David Matheny

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracko View Post
The rule has always been that TiVo will never transfer product lifetime service to a newer model unit. But if TiVo still has any Series 4 units for sale, the OP might be able to replace his Elite with another (probably refurbished) Series 4 unit, with payment of a transfer fee which would depend on how long he's had it. At least they should still allow that when a unit fails.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #2223
nycityuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Roamios on an annual or monthly subscription come with TiVo's Continual Care warranty.

http://tivoproduction.force.com/Supp...d-Warranty-FAQ
Wow, thanks for the info as I was completely unaware. How long has this been the case?

I seem to have purchased the extended warranty unnecessarily. I acquired my Roamio Pro in January 2014 with a promo that allowed me to transfer the $6.95/month cost from an older TiVo to it and pay only $399 for the unit. I bought the 3 year warranty at the time but obviously can get a broken unit replaced for $49 without the warranty.

nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #2224
Kingpcgeek
Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Roamios on an annual or monthly subscription come with TiVo's Continual Care warranty.

http://tivoproduction.force.com/Supp...d-Warranty-FAQ
I realize that, that was the reason for my original question. I was wondering if the discounted $9.95 rate would still qualify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycityuser View Post
Wow, thanks for the info as I was completely unaware. How long has this been the case?

I seem to have purchased the extended warranty unnecessarily. I acquired my Roamio Pro in January 2014 with a promo that allowed me to transfer the $6.95/month cost from an older TiVo to it and pay only $399 for the unit. I bought the 3 year warranty at the time but obviously can get a broken unit replaced for $49 without the warranty.
Don't feel bad, they did not offer it when you signed up. Its a relatively new benefit.

Kingpcgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #2225
b-ball-fanatic

Is it just me, or does it seem like TiVo, with some of their warranty policies, is trying to steer people away from Lifetime Service?

b-ball-fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #2226
andyw715

Quote:
Is it just me, or does it seem like TiVo, with some of their warranty policies, is trying to steer people away from Lifetime Service?
Makes sense, sell the razor for cheap and require monthly blades subscription.

andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:26 PM   #2227
shurikt

Romio Pro, lifetime service + 3 year warranty: $680.47 including tax. Been a 10+ year customer...

shurikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #2228
HerronScott

Quote:
Quote:
As David indicated, lifetime is tied to the hardware and is not transferable and has always been this way. Their wording in the original terms was vague so they allow a grandfather transfer for Series 1 units activated prior to January 21 2000. They also offered a special lifetime transfer promotion for $199 when the original S3 OLED was released in 2006 (and into early 2007) but this was during the period when they were no longer offering the lifetime service option for new purchases.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #2229
Kracko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
As David indicated, lifetime is tied to the hardware and is not transferable and has always been this way. Their wording in the original terms was vague so they allow a grandfather transfer for Series 1 units activated prior to January 21 2000. They also offered a special lifetime transfer promotion for $199 when the original S3 OLED was released in 2006 (and into early 2007) but this was during the period when they were no longer offering the lifetime service option for new purchases.

Scott
Well they did, once, allow me to move my lifetime subscription to another unit. I don't recall when that was exactly but it was sometime in the 2005-2006 time frame.

Last edited by Kracko; 04-29-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Kracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:59 PM   #2230
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpcgeek View Post
I realize that, that was the reason for my original question. I was wondering if the discounted $9.95 rate would still qualify.
I don't see why not--I didn't see any restriction as to particular monthly/annual subscription pricings:

Quote:
Continual Care Warranty

Roamio Series DVRs that have an active monthly or annual service plan are covered by the Continual Care Warranty, in addition to the 90-day limited warranty. Under the Continual Care plan, an eligible Roamio DVR can be exchanged for a reduced fee of $49 (plus applicable taxes and shipping costs).

IMPORTANT: Only Roamio Series DVRs with a monthly or annual service plan are eligible for the Continual Care Warranty.

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #2231
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
Makes sense, sell the razor for cheap and require monthly blades subscription.
see also: printer/ink

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 PM   #2232
midas
I heard that

Quote:
Well they did, once, allow me to move my lifetime subscription to another unit. I don't recall when that was exactly but it was sometime in the 2005-2006 time frame.
When the Series 1 first came out the language in the lifetime agreement wasn't really clear regarding what lifetime really meant. So some people that bought the early models were allowed a transfer.

midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #2233
HerronScott

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by midas View Post
When the Series 1 first came out the language in the lifetime agreement wasn't really clear regarding what lifetime really meant. So some people that bought the early models were allowed a transfer.
Either you took advantage of the S3 lifetime upgrade offer in 2006 (for $199) or what midas said.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #2234
badhat

I received an upgrade offer email from Tivo last week, where a Roamio Plus with lifetime service would cost $699.98.
I gave it some thought ( I currently have 2 Premieres, and one HD), and decided that I could really use the 6 tuner and streaming options.
I also decided that I should search this forum for better deals, and came across this thread.
I've been a Tivo customer since 2006, so I wouldn't qualify for the 10 year deal -- but I decided to roll the CSR dice and call about it.
It turns out that my online account shows an activation date of 2004 (for the Premiere that I'd purchased used), so with some friendly discussion I was finally offered a new Roamio Plus for $399.99 and the lifetime service for $99.99, totalling $499.98.
I'm totally stoked with this deal; the new Roamio should be here in a week. Woohoo!

badhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #2235
freeze12

Just got an offer today in my email: any romeo and my existing service plan for a price. I took my existing plan at $6.95 a month and a tivo romeo 4 chan for $99.00 because i got rid of cable. Thought it was a decent deal as I am using a premier plus now.

freeze12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #2236
Anotherpyr

Did the recent promotion on roamios for loyal users change? The first email I received stated it was good through June 30th. Now the offer claims it end May 8th. What gives.

Anotherpyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 02:34 PM   #2237
GregComeLately

Behind Curtain #1 or Curtain #2.. which would you choose??

Strictly from a deal value perspective, putting aside for the moment whether or not cable service is being used, which do you all think is better:

A) Roamio OTA + lifetime for $300 ($50 box + $250 lifetime)
B) Roamio (standard) + lifetime for $350 ($150 box + $199 lifetime)

You may include factors such as resale value into your determination as well.

I'll explain why I am asking after I get some responses (assuming for the moment that I'll actually get some responses ).

GregComeLately is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:19 PM   #2238
delgadobb

I'd easily pay the extra $50 for the base Roamio to have the option to use it with a cable card, even if it means feeding some monopolistic regime. The problem with your scenario is it's not an A vs B option for most of us. Those of us (like myself) that were fortunate enough to order an OTA Roamio for $300 didn't have option B. Even if I'm generous & give myself credit for double-dipping at Best Buy (price match to Amazon & discount) to acquire my base Roamio for $100, lifetime was still $400 (below the standard $500). That's $500 total versus the $300 for the OTA Roamio. For most people it will be $150 + $400 lifetime = $550 total. VASTLY different.

So, what's the catch? You must have an opportunity to acquire a base Roamio with lifetime for $350. Enlighten those of us who must live vicariously through you. I say more power to you and 'go for it' if you have a chance to get the $350 deal.

TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #2239
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregComeLately View Post
Strictly from a deal value perspective, putting aside for the moment whether or not cable service is being used, which do you all think is better:

You may include factors such as resale value into your determination as well.

I'll explain why I am asking after I get some responses (assuming for the moment that I'll actually get some responses ).
Go with B. Reason being is that ive seen a few people on the AVS forum with transcripts from tivo web support stating that the Roamio OTA has a 3 Tivo Mini limit where as the base Roamio doesnt. Ive been trying to find evidence on Tivo.com because i am lazy to call and find out since i have a base Roamio used for OTA.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #2240
HarperVision

Quote:
Strictly from a deal value perspective, putting aside for the moment whether or not cable service is being used, which do you all think is better: A) Roamio OTA + lifetime for $300 ($50 box + $250 lifetime) B) Roamio (standard) + lifetime for $350 ($150 box + $199 lifetime) You may include factors such as resale value into your determination as well. I'll explain why I am asking after I get some responses (assuming for the moment that I'll actually get some responses ).
Definitely option "B"!

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:20 PM   #2241
GregComeLately

Thanks for the feedback, all.

A little "miscommunication" from the Tivo CS rep yesterday. I was quoted for what I thought was a new Roamio box, plus the "loyalty deal" of $199 on lifetime service (I have a little over 9 years in). That was the "option B" $149 + $199 = $350 I stated above (actually, $359.35 delivered).

I called in again tonight, thinking I would go for it. Cited the deal Ref# provided to me yesterday, but it turns out the deal was for a "renewed" Roamio w/ lifetime, which was never mentioned. Still pretty darn decent but enough to give me pause & reconsider.

As far as OTA vs. Roamio w/cablecard potential; I haven't had cable in like forever. I would consider it again for perhaps a year or two new sign-up type incentive deal and then happily go back to OTA status again at the end of the contract. So from that perspective, there might still be *some* value in going that route.

Also, if it would enhance the resale value down the line by going with the standard vs OTA Roamio, with lifetime attached in either case, I could justify the initial cost difference from that perspective as well. Not saying I will be looking to sell, but you never know.

Still a slam dunk for deal "B" vs "A"? or too close to call now?

Last edited by GregComeLately; 05-14-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #2242
GregComeLately

I might also mention that I have a lifetime service S3 (on the fritz for the last few months, collecting dust). I'm also one who received the $100 off from Amazon offer for the Roamio, which I went ahead and purchased right before the deadline. Still sitting in the sealed box.

I was hoping to parlay that into a combined loyalty deal, even though I hadn't purchased the box from Tivo.

Dream scenario would have been the discounted $45 Roamio from Amazon + $199 lifetime from Tivo. But a long shot for sure.

I did float to both CS reps that I would be willing to pay $250 or even $300 on lifetime if it allowed me to attach it to the just purchased Amazon Roamio. But they don't seem to have that sort of flexibility.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 AM   #2243
krkaufman

Quote:
I was quoted for what I thought was a new Roamio box, plus the "loyalty deal" of $199 on lifetime service (I have a little over 9 years in). That was the "option A" $149 + $199 = $350 I stated above (actually, $359.35 delivered).
Just to be clear, the Lifetime Roamio Basic for $350+ was actually your OPTION B in the original post, and was the unanimous recommendation from those responding.

Quote:
I expect the recommendations would stick for a renewed/refurb unit at the $50 price diff b/w a Basic and OTA model -- though you should exhaust your options on seeking the discounted lifetime on that Amazon purchase.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #2244
Diana Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
Go with B. Reason being is that ive seen a few people on the AVS forum with transcripts from tivo web support stating that the Roamio OTA has a 3 Tivo Mini limit where as the base Roamio doesnt. Ive been trying to find evidence on Tivo.com because i am lazy to call and find out since i have a base Roamio used for OTA.
Since both the Roamio OTA and the base Roamio only have 4 tuners, they both can only support 3 Minis watching live TV. All the Roamios run the same software, and so far as anyone has been able to determine, the OTA is just a Base without the cablecard bracket. It is pretty unlikely that the two units would behave any differently in regard to Mini support.

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #2245
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Collins View Post
Since both the Roamio OTA and the base Roamio only have 4 tuners, they both can only support 3 Minis watching live TV. All the Roamios run the same software, and so far as anyone has been able to determine, the OTA is just a Base without the cablecard bracket. It is pretty unlikely that the two units would behave any differently in regard to Mini support.
i wasnt talking about live tv. i keep hearing a hard limit of 3 mini's in total for the ota and no such limit for the base.

if i have 5 minis on the base it it obvious that i cant watch 5 live streams on a 4 tuner DVR. but i can watch recorded content on 2 of them while live tv on the other 3. thats what i want confirmation on.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #2246
GregComeLately

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Just to be clear, the Lifetime Roamio Basic for $350+ was actually your OPTION B in the original post, and was the unanimous recommendation from those responding.
Sorry, yes, I mixed up my "B" option with my "A" option in my #2241 previous post. I've gone ahead and corrected that accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post

I expect the recommendations would stick for a renewed/refurb unit at the $50 price diff b/w a Basic and OTA model -- though you should exhaust your options on seeking the discounted lifetime on that Amazon purchase.
Perhaps I will give it one more shot, seeking to escalate the request to a supervisor.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 AM   #2247
buddhawood

10 Year Loyalty Deal

Offer still valid as of 5-20-15
Must call (877) 367-8486 for offer.
Remember to ask for free Tivo slide remote. I was first refused, but I reminded them of how long ('99) and how many units I have had and 1 minute later was approved for the free slide.
Also check if your credit card has price protection, you may be able to get money back by price matching Amazon or other retailer.

buddhawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #2248
tjedmonds

I just got the 10 year deal. TiVo Roamio Plus with lifetime for $499. Box arrives today!

tjedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #2249
Graymalkin
Grumpy Poster

I just heard about this -- at 7 p.m. Pacific time. I'll have to call tomorrow.

Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote