TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 96 votes, 4.95 average.
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #2641
humbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocNo View Post
Apparently when I bought the annual plan they didn't offer that. Still better off getting back into Lifetime.
Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of Lifetime!
I would still call them and ask if your Basic is covered under Continual Care under the assumption that all existing non-lifetime service was converted to Continual Care when that program was introduced. Couldn't hurt, and you may wind up with a "new refurbished" Basic.

humbb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM   #2642
skypros

I had a very similar experience as thefisch
In June I became a customer with a Roamio Basic purchased from Amazon and activated with annual service. Almost immediately the hard drive was 75% full.... I knew I was gonna need a bigger hard drive.
Just by chance Tivo had their hot summer sale that had a Roamio Plus for $200. So I called in and ordered one and kept my annual service.... When my Plus arrived.... I thought at $350 for Product Lifetime Service (PLS), this is a better deal.... So I called in to change my service, It was a cluster of a mess. I was on the phone for well over an hour trying to get PLS @ $350. The problem was the Plus and Pro sold out almost immediately and the "$350 PLS" was no longer in the system... So they Put me on PLS for $400 and said they would refund me $50 in 30 days when my "return period" was over. They actually fixed it the next day somehow and charged me $350 for PLS instead of the $400
Was that Confusing It was for me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
version: I bought a refurb plus during the summer sale and selected the annual plan for $150. I called within the first week to upgrade to lifetime for $350. At first I was told no I couldn't since the plus refurb plus was OOS at that point for the summer sale. The rep explained they could not sell me PLS at that price since they could not select it in the sales system with the product I purchased. After I protested, rep spoke to a supervisor who came up with this proposal: I buy PLS for the current price of $500 (pay $350 in addition to the $150 I already paid for annual service) and then after the trial period they credit me $150. I went along with it and called twice before the 30 days was up to verify that I would get the credit. On the 31st day I called and got the $150 refund on my card within a week of that call.

Bottom line is you have no risk. If they won't do it for you, then just return it. They will likely work with you to avoid the return.

skypros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM   #2643
thefisch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post
So they Put me on PLS for $400 and said they would refund me $50 in 30 days when my "return period" was over. They actually fixed it the next day somehow and charged me $350 for PLS instead of the $400
Did you get any credit for the annual service of $150 you had already paid for? I couldn't tell from what you wrote. They credited me the $150 annual service too so I only paid $350 for service when all is said and done.

thefisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #2644
xberk

I'm thinking of ordering a Roamio basic. Can I switch my existing 2tb hard drive from a Premiere into the Roamio?

xberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #2645
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by xberk View Post
I'm thinking of ordering a Roamio basic. Can I switch my existing 2tb hard drive from a Premiere into the Roamio?
Yes, but you'll lose any recordings that you currently have on it.

tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM   #2646
skypros

Yes, they gave me the $150 back

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
Did you get any credit for the annual service of $150 you had already paid for? I couldn't tell from what you wrote. They credited me the $150 annual service too so I only paid $350 for service when all is said and done.

skypros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #2647
thefisch

That's good. Reading your post again reminded me how quickly the plus and pro refurbs sold out during the summer sale. Not sure exactly when they went OOS though. Funny thing was I ordered mine in late July. They had a package deal under the mult-room solution tab (same look as the tab under the super sale) that was a roamio plus refurb, annual service and a mini. I thought maybe they had restocked the refurb plus but didn't check the main sales tab. The 'add to cart' button worked but I could not edit the cart to change the annual service IIRC which seemed odd. That was fine as I hadn't done my research yet on PLS to be sure. At any rate, the order was placed and shipped and I had to haggle on the phone to get PLS. Strange that they were OOS on refurb plus much earlier but still selling it as a package deal on another tab.

thefisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #2648
xberk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Yes, but you'll lose any recordings that you currently have on it.
If I keep my old Premiere in tack, can I use it as playback only without a cable card by placing it on the network and accessing it from the new Roamio?

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #2649
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by xberk View Post
If I keep my old Premiere in tack, can I use it as playback only without a cable card by placing it on the network and accessing it from the new Roamio?
Yes, as long as the TiVo service is still active.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #2650
xberk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yes, as long as the TiVo service is still active.
Thanks Dave. Seems like the best solution for saving my old movies etc. I suppose I can gradually transfer them to the new Roamio.

Thanks For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #2651
Kracko

Quote:
If you've been with Tivo for a long time (10 years seemed to be the magic number - I'm almost at 15 ) then you can get a new Plus and Lifetime for $500.

Just did it - it arrives Thursday
Got mine last weekend and loving it.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM   #2652
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Motherboard after the power cord popped out. They wanted $150 to replace it.

I didn't have lifetime on it so called in to take advantage of the refurb+lifetime deal and found a much better deal instead

And I'll be stealing a strain relief cord securer thingy off another piece of gear and putting it on the back side of my new Tivo to keep the damn power cord attached this time! I may still try the bake the motherboard trick the Xbox red ring of death owners pioneered - can't loose anything on the dead box anyway.

EDIT: The strain relief thingy I was referring to are called cable clamps. Not sure why Tivo doesn't include one to keep the cords from popping out like mine did
I don't see how it popped out. I've had Minis for over 2.5 years and a Roamio BAsic for almost two years. I take the Basic back and forth to my GFs house. I have never had any of the power cables come out by accident. I have to give a firm pull to even remove the power cables.

And my refurb Basic I got form the recent sale has a snug power cable like my other TiVos. There is no way they can come out without a firm pull on the end of the cable.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote