Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
New TV, but can't figure how to connect to TiVo

Just bought an LG 32" at BB. I went to connect cables and found that the new tv had usb ports and not a round port (with little wires) for the TiVo like my old tv. I have a TiVo HD and it's set up as a wireless.

Right now the TiVo is not connected but the cable is. I still can't get any channels and figure that's because it used to all go thru my TiVo. I am not sure if that's correct though. I also have a ps3 and that is connected to the new tv and is working fine.

Thank god my spare TiVo is working and can record Walking Dead tonight!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

HDMI cable from the Tivo HD to the TV
No cable connection needed for the TV (feel free to ignore the USB ports)
Old 10-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Just bought an LG 32" at BB. I went to connect cables and found that the new tv had usb ports and not a round port (with little wires) for the TiVo like my old tv. I have a TiVo HD and it's set up as a wireless.

Right now the TiVo is not connected but the cable is. I still can't get any channels and figure that's because it used to all go thru my TiVo. I am not sure if that's correct though. I also have a ps3 and that is connected to the new tv and is working fine.

Sounds like the little round port was probably S-video. That has gone away on most newer TVs. Since you posted in this forum, I'm assuming that you have a Series 3 Tivo of some sort. It should have HDMI, composite, and component video connections and so should your TV. If the HDMI works, use it. It's a single cable for both video and audio and is digital. Second choice would be component (red/green/blue for video and red/white for audio). Only use the composite video (yellow video and red/white for audio) as a last resort because you lose resolution. Your new TV remote should allow you to select the appropriate input from the Tivo.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

If the TV has more than a couple of USB ports you may be confusing them with HDMI ports which are not quite rectangular but close. Just sayin' and I may be dead wrong.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
poppagene
User

Quote:

All of the 32" LG tvs at best buy have 2 hdmi ports and the tivo hd also has an hdmi port. You will run an hdmi cable from the hdmi port on the tivo hd to either hdmi port on the LG tv.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
HerronScott

Here's a picture of an HDMI port.

You just need to buy a cheap HDMI cable.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks! It was an S video port because my old tv was just that old. I picked up a HDMI cable and the connection is great!

Now I have to remember how to synch my TiVo remote to take over doing everything - it will change channels and such but for sound and power I have to use the tv remote.

One step at a time. Thanks for your help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Thanks! It was an S video port because my old tv was just that old. I picked up a HDMI cable and the connection is great!

Now I have to remember how to synch my TiVo remote to take over doing everything - it will change channels and such but for sound and power I have to use the tv remote.

Betts - the remote control setup should be fairly simple for you.

Press the TiVo home button.

Once there, look for Help and Setup or something similar.

Within that area, look for "Remote Control" or similar.

That should then walk you through the setup process for programming the remote to control your TV, assuming the TV is compatible with one of the codes that is shown.

Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:

Try different remote codes from the list for LG. I found with my Samsung that the first code worked the power on/off but I had to use a different code to also get the input selection and volume control. Once I found the best code the TV remote went into a drawer.