TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
Keith Elkin

Cablevision Cablecards & Upgrading Tivo

I currently have two Tivo Series 3 units which I am replacing tomorrow with a Tivo Roamio and a Tivo Mini. I remember when I first got these Series 3 units that it required a tech to come on-site to install and configure them, has this changed? I'm hoping when the new boxes come tomorrow I can just pull the multistream card from one of my Series 3's, place it in the Roamio, and call up tech support to have it switched to the new box.. Is that how they do it these days or do I have to schedule an appointment with them to come onsite?

While I'm on the topic of cable cards, anyone know if the EXTREMELY ANNOYING "This channel is not authorized" message still randomly appears taking you out of what you're currently watching on the Roamios? Happens all the time on my S3 and drives me F'in insane..
-Keith
Keith Elkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
mattack

The message doesn't randomly appear, it appears when you go to a channel you aren't authorized for.. heh.. If you mean the abrupt change to the actual cable card screen.. that's from the cable card I think..

But if your card is actually paired, and you go to an unsubscribed channel, it now gives you different messages (there are two slightly different ones I see -- one directly says you don't have access to the channel, one seems to mean the same thing but says something slightly different -- I suspect they're getting back a different error # from the cable system.)

In short-- yes you should be able to just call in and get it paired with the new device. If they have a special "cable card hotline" (like Comcast does), call that instead of the regular customer service #.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
malba2366

This happens on my roamio sometimes too with Cablevision. It is definitely not only on channels I do not subscribe to. I called and was told this happens when the cable card temporarily loses its authentication with the cable system.
malba2366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
Keith Elkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The message doesn't randomly appear, it appears when you go to a channel you aren't authorized for.. heh.. If you mean the abrupt change to the actual cable card screen.. that's from the cable card I think..

But if your card is actually paired, and you go to an unsubscribed channel, it now gives you different messages (there are two slightly different ones I see -- one directly says you don't have access to the channel, one seems to mean the same thing but says something slightly different -- I suspect they're getting back a different error # from the cable system.)

In short-- yes you should be able to just call in and get it paired with the new device. If they have a special "cable card hotline" (like Comcast does), call that instead of the regular customer service #.
Well it does for me.. I'll be watching a movie thats already recorded or live TV and the screen will come up on its own, I did not tune to ANY station...

Aside from that I'm looking to find out from someone with knowledge about Cablevision if they can handle this over the phone. I'm well aware other companies do, last I checked Cablevision didn't... I'd like to find out if that changed. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I call to activate the new units.
-Keith
Old 09-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
AdamNJ

Check what firmware version is on your cablecard from the menus, post it here

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #6
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Elkin View Post
Well it does for me.. I'll be watching a movie thats already recorded or live TV and the screen will come up on its own, I did not tune to ANY station...
Do you have suggestions on?
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #7
mbernste

Quote:
Aside from that I'm looking to find out from someone with knowledge about Cablevision if they can handle this over the phone. I'm well aware other companies do, last I checked Cablevision didn't... I'd like to find out if that changed. I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I call to activate the new units.
-Keith
If you're switching to a Roamio from an S3, you're going to want an M card since they can handle 6 streams and you only need a single card. For that you will need to bring your old card to an Optimum store and swap it out. With regards to doing the installation and pairing of the card you can do it via a phone call to Cablevision. When you call tell them you just got a Roamio and you need to pair your card, most likely they will send you to a tier 2 tech to do it for you, just be at the screen that gives you your cable card information. You should also jot down the card's serial number and have that handy.
mbernste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
Keith Elkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbernste View Post
If you're switching to a Roamio from an S3, you're going to want an M card since they can handle 6 streams and you only need a single card. For that you will need to bring your old card to an Optimum store and swap it out. With regards to doing the installation and pairing of the card you can do it via a phone call to Cablevision. When you call tell them you just got a Roamio and you need to pair your card, most likely they will send you to a tier 2 tech to do it for you, just be at the screen that gives you your cable card information. You should also jot down the card's serial number and have that handy.
Thanks, that's very helpful information, good to hear that Cablevision will walk you through it over the phone and not require an onsite visit now. I'm pretty sure I have an M card already, I originally had 2 S cards in each box but swapped them out later on due to technical issues.. I'll have to double check tonight.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Thanks, that's very helpful information, good to hear that Cablevision will walk you through it over the phone and not require an onsite visit now. I'm pretty sure I have an M card already, I originally had 2 S cards in each box but swapped them out later on due to technical issues.. I'll have to double check tonight.
If you already have M-cards in your S3, then you can just use one of those in the Roamio.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #10
blacknoi

Quote:
I have 2 Roamios and 1 mini on cablevision in NJ.

This happened to me when I didn't delete channels that I subscribed to, that the Tivo was trying to record as suggestions on a tuner I wasn't actively watching.

So for some more background, I used to subscribe to the sports pack, and had 'thumbs upped' a few programs on MavTV... then I dropped that package but didnt immediately hide those channels from my guide.

The tivo would then periodically try to record suggestions on the channels I didn't have access to.

Hiding the channels I didn't sub to fixed my issue. I was able to prove this was the issue by first clearing the "not authorized error", hitting info, then looking at the other tuners to see what channels they were on.

Quote:
-Keith
I upgraded to Roamios back in January from a Tivo S3 and a Tivo HD. The M-card in the HD I just popped into 1 Roamio and called cablevision to pair the cc to the new tivo. No issue there.. The S3 had 2 s-cards in it. Those I brought back to a walk in center to trade for 1 M card. Got home, called cablevision to pair the new M card and I was good to go.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #11
Keith Elkin

Here's my MCard info:

HW Model 0900 Ver 0010
Mode: MMODE

NDS M-Card for Cablevision
NDS s/w version:
3.92.15 Oct 08 2013 18:20:55
Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #12
Keith Elkin

Quote:
I currently have two Tivo Series 3 units which I am replacing tomorrow with a Tivo Roamio and a Tivo Mini. I remember when I first got these Series 3 units that it required a tech to come on-site to install and configure them, has this changed? I'm hoping when the new boxes come tomorrow I can just pull the multistream card from one of my Series 3's, place it in the Roamio, and call up tech support to have it switched to the new box.. Is that how they do it these days or do I have to schedule an appointment with them to come onsite?

While I'm on the topic of cable cards, anyone know if the EXTREMELY ANNOYING "This channel is not authorized" message still randomly appears taking you out of what you're currently watching on the Roamios? Happens all the time on my S3 and drives me F'in insane..
-Keith
Glad to see that Cablevision got their act together and didn't require an onsite tech to come to swap out my card to a new unit like they had to do in 2009. Even better, I love that I was able to transfer my season passes from my old Tivos to the new Roamio Plus with just a few clicks! Very happy...

Now I'm setting up the Tivo Mini... let's see how that goes..
Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #13
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Glad to see that Cablevision got their act together and didn't require an onsite tech to come to swap out my card to a new unit like they had to do in 2009.
Don't thank Cablevision for that iota of sanity. I'm pretty sure the FCC forced all cable companies to allow self-installation of CableCards.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote