TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
paladintom

HD to Premiere Transfer Over MoCA

I just upgraded to a Premiere 4 and it came with a MoCA adapter so I thought I'd give it a go to see if transfers were faster to my other unit which is a TiVo HD which usually transfers quite slow over wired internet for hd content.

I got everything set up properly and was able to transfer from the Premiere to the HD over MoCA, but the speed didn't seem any faster. If anything, I would say it was only marginally faster, but seemed more even with no random starts and stops which is very common.

My main question is: Is the slow transfer speed due to the HD hardware or a bottleneck in my network? Has anyone here had experience with transfers between two HD's or between a Premiere and an HD? Is the transfer between two Premieres any faster?

What I mean by "slow" is that high def content barely transfers faster than realtime. I do have a fairly complicated network with a couple of switches, but I don't notice any speed issues except when transferring hd shows from TiVo to TiVo.
paladintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
bradleys
It'll be fine....

MoCa will be faster / more reliable than a wireless bridge, but slower than a network connection. So we would need t know more about your setup for a speed comparison.

The premier transfer speeds are a lot faster than the HD speeds - what direction are you going? HD to premier I wouldn't think you would see much improvement. Premier to HD should be improved...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
paladintom

Mainly going Premiere to HD. Tested both ways over wired network and it didn't seem much faster than HD to HD. I have a FIOS router, with one port going upstairs to a switch and then into the Premiere and a Blu Ray player. Another wired router port goes to another switch which splits the HD, PS3, and an Xbox. Never tried testing without the switches - but that's a deal breaker anyway. Maybe I got spoiled transferring SD content over Ethernet for so many years. Transferring HD content never felt acceptable.

I'm debating whether to upgrade the other HD to a Premiere, but if transfers are no faster then it may not be worth it. I do like streaming and remote delete features though.

I'm also very interested in the Mini as an option. Hopefully we'll have pricing before spring when my HD sub is up.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
BigJimOutlaw

The bottleneck is likely the Tivo HD itself. They don't really transfer all that impressively in either direction. The Premiere line is the first with good networking. Anywhere from a 3-5x improvement according to benchmarks.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
austinpike

I just converted my TiVos over to MoCA with a handful of ActionTec MI424WR's - two Premieres, an HD, and an S3. The HD and S3 transfer just barely better than realtime with HD content. Transfers between Premieres are much faster - I would say the 3x-5x number above is accurate.

But it is all so much better than on WirelessN - it would take hours to transfer between the Premieres. Streaming HD was not an option at all. Granted I may not have given them a fair shake - I'm on a pretty cheap 2.4ghz router. But there would be times when some of the TiVos wouldn't show up on the other boxes, just general flakiness. I'm kind of shocked the MoCA thing seems to be working so well given all the stuff I've got hooked up.
austinpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
paladintom

So in your experience, does high-def content transfer from Premiere to Premiere faster than real-time so you can watch while it transfers and doesn't catch up? Also, what about streaming? Is this any faster/slower than copying?

I'm very curious how well the TiVo Mini handles all of this functionality as well.

Many thanks for the replies.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
MoCa will be faster / more reliable than a wireless bridge, but slower than a network connection. So we would need t know more about your setup for a speed comparison.

The premier transfer speeds are a lot faster than the HD speeds - what direction are you going? HD to premier I wouldn't think you would see much improvement. Premier to HD should be improved...
No it will not be slower than a network Connection. Moca will have speeds of about 240Mbps while the Premiere's network adaptor is 100Mbps.(unless you have an Elite/4) Even then the HD will only be 100. So Moca will not be the bottleneck
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladintom View Post
So in your experience, does high-def content transfer from Premiere to Premiere faster than real-time so you can watch while it transfers and doesn't catch up? Also, what about streaming? Is this any faster/slower than copying?

I'm very curious how well the TiVo Mini handles all of this functionality as well.

Many thanks for the replies.
On my system HD xfers from TP to TP at about 2x and from TP-4 to TP-4 at about 3x, I am using the TiVo N adapter with a dual radio router and set up the N adapter on the 5Ghz radio. MRS works great between any of my 4 TP (-4)s. I get from 45Mbs to 80Mbs on transfers.