TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
jerrykur

Problem setting up DTA box with Series 2

Hi,

I have a series 2 box and am having issues getting the IR output to control my new DTA box. I connected the IR blaster cable to the IR port on the back but when I watching live TV and press the channel up/down on the Tivo remote it appears the Tivo is tuner is changing to a different channel on the cable input. Since the DTA box is only outputing a signal on channel 4 this results in loss os signal. Is there a setting in the Tivo I need to set to cause the unit to send the channel control signals on the UR blaster instead of changing the cable tuner channel?

Thanks,

jerry

jerrykur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
ggieseke

You need to run Guided Setup again so that it knows that the DTA is there (cable with box).

Before you do that, hook the DTA directly to a TV and make sure that it's activated and working correctly. If it isn't putting out a signal on the coax your Series 2 won't offer that choice.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
You need to run Guided Setup again so that it knows that the DTA is there (cable with box).
Or "antenna with box" if the OP is just using OTA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
jerrykur

Thanks for the information.

I am running the setup and it is asking for the brand of the cable box. Does anyone know who makes the DTA for Comcast? The only label on the front is Xfinity which is not in the menu.

Update I selected the first option, Scientific General, and now it is stuck in an infinite loop trying to change the channel. How can I get back to the brand selection?

Last edited by jerrykur; 09-27-2012 at 08:26 AM.
jerrykur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
ggieseke

Lie to it and tell it that the channels are changing fine to get through Guided Setup. Then go back to Messages & Settings > Settings > Channels > Channel Changing and pick Comcast Digital Adapter.

That will tell the TiVo to use IR code 10104, which is good for Comcast, Motorola, Pace, Scientific Atlanta, Suddenlink & Thomson DTAs. The Cisco DTA50 and the box that WOW Cable uses are the only DTAs I know of that use different codes.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrykur View Post
Does anyone know who makes the DTA for Comcast? The only label on the front is Xfinity which is not in the menu.
Try the bottom or back panel

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Try the bottom or back panel
Or the FCC ID #

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 09:26 AM   #8
Just a J0e

I am currently going through the same issue with a Series 2 and a Mediacom provided DTA.

There is no manufacturer identification on the DTA. The only info I have is a model# - DCI105geu1

I have searched the Web for this number but so far I have not ID'd the manufacturer.

In the TiVo guided set-up I have tried to use - "Comcast, Motorola and Pace"
While the TiVo does gain some control, it will note go to specific channels.

Does anyone know what Brand DTA the DCI105geu1 is?

I have to admit I haven't called Mediacom to ask them … "help" calls to them tend to be less on the "helpful" end of the scale and more towards "rage inducing".

Old 01-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a J0e View Post
I am currently going through the same issue with a Series 2 and a Mediacom provided DTA.

There is no manufacturer identification on the DTA. The only info I have is a model# - DCI105geu1

I have searched the Web for this number but so far I have not ID'd the manufacturer.

In the TiVo guided set-up I have tried to use - "Comcast, Motorola and Pace"
While the TiVo does gain some control, it will note go to specific channels.

Does anyone know what Brand DTA the DCI105geu1 is?

I have to admit I haven't called Mediacom to ask them … "help" calls to them tend to be less on the "helpful" end of the scale and more towards "rage inducing".
It's a Thompson, but lie to the TiVo and tell it it's a Scientific Atlanta.

The TiVo will probably try about 10 different SA codes before it gets around to trying 10014, which should work.

Later you can go into Settings, Channels, Channel Changing, same cable box, Advanced and try the three different speeds

A = Medium
B = Fast
C = Slow

to see which works best for you.

How are you getting the InfraRed signal from the TiVo into the cable box?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
Just a J0e

Thanks for the pointers.
Tried SCi Atl but it didn't respond. Tried Thompson and during the set-up it could change the channel to numbers 13 and below.
When I tried to control the DTA outside of set-up though, it would only go to channels 2,3,22 and 33.
Then I fiddled with the IR blaster and it worked to change the channel one more time then stopped responding to the TiVo all together.

One time, during the hours of trying to run the auto set-up, I stumbled onto an "Advance Mode" that said it was only for those who knew their exact IR code. If I could just find that menu again, perhaps I could enter the "10014" number you mentioned. Try as I might though, I just can't find that menu now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
How are you getting the InfraRed signal from the TiVo into the cable box?
It's quite an endeavor.
My cable DTA and TiVo for this TV are located in a walk-in closet. I use an old Recoton IR extender to send the Remote's signal to the closet. The Recoton then controls the TiVo through the use of a plugged in IR emitter that hangs down in front of the TiVo. Thiss seems to work like a charm as I have complete control of all TiVo functions from the other room.
I then have the IR blaster (purple connector plugged into back of TiVo - two emitters over and under the DTA) controlling the DTA.
Only it doesn't seem to work so much.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers.
Tried SCi Atl but it didn't respond. Tried Thompson and during the set-up it could change the channel to numbers 13 and below.
When I tried to control the DTA outside of set-up though, it would only go to channels 2,3,22 and 33.
Then I fiddled with the IR blaster and it worked to change the channel one more time then stopped responding to the TiVo all together.

One time, during the hours of trying to run the auto set-up, I stumbled onto an "Advance Mode" that said it was only for those who knew their exact IR code. If I could just find that menu again, perhaps I could enter the "10014" number you mentioned. Try as I might though, I just can't find that menu now.

It's quite an endeavor.
My cable DTA and TiVo for this TV are located in a walk-in closet. I use an old Recoton IR extender to send the Remote's signal to the closet. The Recoton then controls the TiVo through the use of a plugged in IR emitter that hangs down in front of the TiVo. Thiss seems to work like a charm as I have complete control of all TiVo functions from the other room.
I then have the IR blaster (purple connector plugged into back of TiVo - two emitters over and under the DTA) controlling the DTA.
Only it doesn't seem to work so much.

Whe they gave you the Thomson, did they include an IR receiver to plug ito the back of it?

Assuming it has an IR in jack on the back.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:13 PM   #12
Just a J0e

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Whe they gave you the Thomson, did they include an IR receiver to plug ito the back of it?
I believe they may have. At least, I seem to have an extra one (in a bag) laying around.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a go.

UPDATE 1/7/16
Well that didn't work. I suspect that IR unit is a "sending" unit meant to control a TV or some other device and not a "receiver" which is what I need. I need the TiVo to control the DTA.

Went back to using the TiVo IR blaster (purple plug with duel sending units). Set the TiVo back to "Thompson". Which worked … sort of. Couldn't select a channel in the Tivo guide and get the DAT to change to it. Also couldn't hit the TiVo "change channel" button more then once and have the DAT follow it.

Found the "advanced" set up menu again. Code was now set to 10104-B
I fiddle with the settings until I found a combination that seemed to work best.
So for future TiVo Series 2 owners that are trying to make their TiVo control a Mediacom provided DTA (model#DCI105geu1) - here is what I have gotten to work for me.
IR Code: 10104-A
Channel Digits: 3
"Enter" Button: No

Took a lot of time and frustration but this is how much I like my TiVo!

Last edited by Just a J0e; 01-07-2016 at 10:37 AM. Reason: update
Just a J0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:49 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
I believe they may have. At least, I seem to have an extra one (in a bag) laying around.
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a go.

UPDATE 1/7/16
Well that didn't work. I suspect that IR unit is a "sending" unit meant to control a TV or some other device and not a "receiver" which is what I need. I need the TiVo to control the DTA.

Went back to using the TiVo IR blaster (purple plug with duel sending units). Set the TiVo back to "Thompson". Which worked … sort of. Couldn't select a channel in the Tivo guide and get the DAT to change to it. Also couldn't hit the TiVo "change channel" button more then once and have the DAT follow it.

Found the "advanced" set up menu again. Code was now set to 10104-B
I fiddle with the settings until I found a combination that seemed to work best.
So for future TiVo Series 2 owners that are trying to make their TiVo control a Mediacom provided DTA (model#DCI105geu1) - here is what I have gotten to work for me.
IR Code: 10104-A
Channel Digits: 3
"Enter" Button: No

Took a lot of time and frustration but this is how much I like my TiVo!

I'm almost certain that what was included with the Thomson box was an IR receiver, just like they do with the Cisco 170HD DTA, and the jack on the back is where you plug it in.

In which case you can do like I've done and take it and the two heads from the TiVo IR cable, use black electrical tape to hold the long "handles" of those two heads to the body of the IR receiver with the actual IR LEDs in the heads out in front of the "bump" on the receiver so they're aimed at it without being right on top of it, and then use more tape to wrap around all that to make it light-tight, and that'll probably be more reliable because other light sources won't be able to interfere and you won't have to build an IR tent for the front of the Thomson.

And if someone else is in a similar situation but doesn't have the 2 headed cable that originally came with the TiVo, but has a Radio Shack nearby, you can solder their high output IR LED to a 1/8" phone plug and tape that to the IR receiver included with the DTA.

Anode goes to plug tip (center lug) and cathode goes to sleeve (ground lug). Wrap tape around the tip connection before doing the ground connection so as to prevent any accidental shorts. Mount the LED with the leads as short as possible and you can screw on the plastic plug shell and just the tip of the LED will stick out of the hole.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 01-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #14
Just a J0e

As another note - I have since found that it is possible to buy a cable that goes from the TiVo out to the IR "in" jack on the Thompson. Seems like they are homemade cables and sold on Ebay. Maybe like $19.
The one listing I looked at was "sold out" and I didn't peruse it any farther.

I also found a site that gave instructions for making your own. If I run across the link to that again, I will add it here for future reference.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #15
unitron

If you Google

TiVo to Comcast (Pace) DTA Adapter

you discover that the grayeng.net site with the schematic and write up are no longer on line.

I have a copy saved to hard drive, in which the author authorizes personal use of the circuit for the cable, but not distribution of the schematic.

However, I have no control over that image being in various caches around and about the internet, so if you come across the .jpg that shows a mono plug and a stereo plug and a transistor and a couple of resistors in between, you are apparently free to use it as a guide to build your own.

The chances of that happening are probably improved by Googling

TiVo to Comcast (Pace) DTA Adapter

and then clicking on "Images" at the top of the results page.

It's the creation, by the way, of TCF member GGray, and he discusses it in this thread

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=430994

If your cable box or DTA or whatever comes with a thing to plug into a jack on the back panel, and it's not an IR blaster so that it can control something else, then it's an IR receiver, designed to let it receive remote commands even if line of sight to its front panel is blocked, and it's even more simple to use is as part of an opto-isolation circuit which consists of a mono 1/8th " phone plug with the anode of an IR LED soldered to it's center connector (the tip) and the cathode soldered to the outer connector (the sleeve), and that and the non-plug end of the IR receiver cable laid near each other and wrapped in black electrical tape, so that they're held in close proximity, there's a light path between them, and no outside light can get in and no inside light can get out.

The

RadioShack® High-Output Infrared LED
Catalog #: 2760143

which you'll have to find in a Radio Shack store, works fine for this.

You should probably slap some more of that tape across the part of the front panel of the cable box or DTA where its IR receiver is to prevent unwanted input.