TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
dtle

1600 Penn - OAD 01/10/2013

So the pregnancy is scandal worthy...FIRST SLUT!

No wonder we though she was a teen. She's smaller and shorter than her younger pre-teen sister.

Only laugh was when the son blabbed out everything at the press conference. I'm giving it one more episode, only because FLOTUS looks so hot in that dress.

Last edited by dtle : 01-11-2013 at 09:46 AM.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

I got a giggle when Skip thought that the correct answer was: "Expiration dates are there for a reason."

And also when the Prez and the Joint Chiefs were talking family instead of national security.

And the microwave.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
astrohip
Stuart F

There is way too much of the schlub. He's funny in small doses, but gets really tiring when they feature him in 90% of the scenes. And the way they write this is a little too cartoony for me.

I got my wife to watch this with me; she's not big on new sitcoms, likes to stick to her faves, but I did a quick segue on the TiVo from BBT to 1600 Penn. "It's not really that funny."

I'll give it one more. Needs to be much better, much funnier, or SP killed. Plus a prediction: Show won't make it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Thought it was a lot better than the pilot. Guess they made some adjustments to make the oldest daughter not appear so young. But i guess she too is out of college? First Family with two young adult children, both out of college, and living at "home".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
Thought it was a lot better than the pilot. Guess they made some adjustments to make the oldest daughter not appear so young. But i guess she too is out of college? First Family with two young adult children, both out of college, and living at "home".
Martha MacIsaac the actress that plays Becca is 28 in real life, but I don't think they made her look older. I was having problems believing that she could be in college cause she looks so young. I did get a few laughs out of the 2 episodes, so I will give it a few more to see if it gets better.

Last edited by Bettamojo5 : 01-11-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Bettamojo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Azlen

Josh Gad seems to play the same role in everything he's in. It's also the same role that Jack Black seems to play in just about everything he is in.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Josh Gad seems to play the same role in everything he's in. It's also the same role that Jack Black seems to play in just about everything he is in.
I'm assuming Josh Gad is the guy that plays Skip. If so, I just watched this episode and this is exactly what I was coming here to say. I don't remember what else I've seen that guy in, but he plays that exact guy with that exact nervous, stumbling voice.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #8
MarkofT

Huh. What the DirecTV DVR recorded looked like the pilot episode.

Or did they mash together 2 - 1/2 hour shows into a 1 hour episode?
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I'm assuming Josh Gad is the guy that plays Skip. If so, I just watched this episode and this is exactly what I was coming here to say. I don't remember what else I've seen that guy in, but he plays that exact guy with that exact nervous, stumbling voice.
Hmm, I just went to IMDB and it looks like the only other thing I might have seen him in was one episode of Modern Family. Everything else he's acted in, I haven't seen. I guess that one episode of Modern Family made an impression on me. I feel like I've seen the guy in a lot of stuff.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just watched 2 episodes of West Wing and then this episode. Gosh the Presidents look alike! It was kind of eerie.

There was definitely too much of the goofy brother/son. He got annoying very quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #11
weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofT View Post
Huh. What the DirecTV DVR recorded looked like the pilot episode.

Or did they mash together 2 - 1/2 hour shows into a 1 hour episode?
They were two separate half-hour episodes, and the first one was the pilot.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
newsposter
Poster of News

no laugh track means this gets thumbs up from me!

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I liked this episode a lot better. They toned down a lot of what was over the top. I'll stick with it.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I just watched 2 episodes of West Wing and then this episode. Gosh the Presidents look alike! It was kind eerie.
When do we get to the episodes where the aliens attack and we find out that the president was once a fighter pilot and with the help of Will Smith stops the alien invasion?
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
When do we get to the episodes where the aliens attack and we find out that the president was once a fighter pilot and with the help of Will Smith stops the alien invasion?
I can see that coming too!!

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
Lee 2.0
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post

Lee 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #17
mattack

There was much less of Gad, which made it better. Funny thing is, I had the thought that this was better than the first one, but still ended up killing my SP, mostly because I have better stuff to watch (/catch up on). It's not horrible, and I probably do continue to watch "worse" stuff, it's just not very good. The cast (the prez and the Dharma & Greg chick) would be things to keep me watching if I were tempted to.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #18
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee 2.0 View Post
however since Americans dont know when to laugh without one, i predict cancelation shortly

!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Quote:
however since Americans dont know when to laugh without one, i predict cancelation shortly
Lots of shows w/o laugh tracks are successful. The trick is... they need to be funny. D'oh!

But the mere absence of a laugh track doesn't make a show funny either. 1600 Penn will live and die on its own success. A laugh track will not affect it one iota.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #20
newsposter
Poster of News

sooo if other shows could survive without one, why do they do it? i'm assuming it costs at least 1 penny to insert a track into a show and 1 minute of time to implement

i dont even watch the biggies so i cannot comment per se, but would big bang and that charlie sheen one be as popular without the tracks?

just wondering

!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #21
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I'm done with this show. Got through half of tonight's new episode and deleted it. I can not stand that Josh Gad character and he's like 70% of the show.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I'm done with this show. Got through half of tonight's new episode and deleted it. I can not stand that Josh Gad character and he's like 70% of the show.
Tonight's episode was the most depressing 30 minutes of sitcom I've ever seen. Not only did we not laugh once, we were unlaughing. It was sad, nothing funny happened, and there were a fair number of scenes where the writers left the characters feeling miserable (which didn't do wonders for us viewers). What were they thinking?

I had no idea this was going to be the Josh Gad show. Too bad he can't carry it. I felt like I was watching a comedy act where the comedian knows he's bombing.

SP deleted. Post haste.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #23
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Tonight's episode was the most depressing 30 minutes of sitcom I've ever seen. Not only did we not laugh once, we were unlaughing. It was sad, nothing funny happened, and there were a fair number of scenes where the writers left the characters feeling miserable (which didn't do wonders for us viewers). What were they thinking?

I had no idea this was going to be the Josh Gad show. Too bad he can't carry it. I felt like I was watching a comedy act where the comedian knows he's bombing.

SP deleted. Post haste.
Ummmm...guys this is the thread for LAST WEEK'S episode.

I haven't seen this episode yet, but, after reading that Gad was one of the creators of this show, I had the feeling he was going to wind up with the most screen time. He had WAY too much over the top screen time in ep1. Ep2 was better in that he was somewhat toned down. But if what you say is true about ep3, I will probably be gone too.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
dtle

For those who is saying that Josh Gad plays the same character every time, he's going to be in the new Steve Jobs movie, playing Steve Wozniack.

Aston Kutcher plays Steve Jobs.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Ummmm...guys this is the thread for LAST WEEK'S episode.

I haven't seen this episode yet, but, after reading that Gad was one of the creators of this show, I had the feeling he was going to wind up with the most screen time. He had WAY too much over the top screen time in ep1. Ep2 was better in that he was somewhat toned down. But if what you say is true about ep3, I will probably be gone too.
Sorry about that. Luckily it's a sitcom without a dramatic arch, so I don't have to beat myself up about spoiling, but nonetheless, you are correct, and I should be threadcrapping in the proper week's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
For those who is saying that Josh Gad plays the same character every time, he's going to be in the new Steve Jobs movie, playing Steve Wozniack.
And it's quite possible he'll rock in that role. I have nothing against the actor. He's just too over the top for this role, and is way too intense for a 30 minute ensemble sitcom.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #26
marrone
Phased Member

I agree. He's way too over the top. Not really that funny.

-Mike
Old 01-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #27
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

We saw an ad and the bit they ran was so un-funny and un-interesting, my wife and I just looked at each other and said "is that really the BEST joke in the episode?"
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #28
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Finally watched ep 3. Too much Josh Gad again. He was back to being over the top. I'll give it one or two more episodes. There was enough funny in ep 2 to keep me interested for now, so I'm hopeful. The problem is, as I said, Gad is one of the creators (and I think writers?) and if that's the case, you KNOW you're gonna get a heavy dose of him.

Jenna Elfman looks pretty awesome though.