TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
JHawk

Can I replace the hard drive in a series 3 with one from a premier?

My series 3 HD appears to have a bad hard drive(stuck in powering up). A while back I bought a new Tivo premier from Best Buy for $29 open box. Can I take the hard drive out of the premier and put it in the series 3 since the series 3 has a lifetime subscription.

TIA,
JHawk
JHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

I don't know what hard drive comes in a premier. If it is compatible with the series 3 then yes. BUT that is just the hard drive itself. I don't think that the image is the same between a series 3 and a premiere so you'd have to get a compatible image and put it on the hard drive in order to do it.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk View Post
My series 3 HD appears to have a bad hard drive(stuck in powering up). A while back I bought a new Tivo premier from Best Buy for $29 open box. Can I take the hard drive out of the premier and put it in the series 3 since the series 3 has a lifetime subscription.

TIA,
JHawk
NO, unless you put the Series 3 image on the Premier drive. See the upgrade section of this Forum.

If you want to ever use the $29 Premier you purchased you will have to make a copy of that image for future use, why did you purchase that Premier ? I have one (TP) for parts because I have some Lifetime Premiers.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
JHawk

I wanted the remote.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
unitron

If you're going to go to the trouble of replacing the drive in your S3 (after confirming that the drive is the problem and not something else, like the power supply, a very likely candidate), consider finding a WD20EURS somewhere on sale for about $100 and use that instead, and have 2TB of space and a 3 year warranty.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk View Post
I wanted the remote.
Try http://www.ebay.com/itm/111024009031...84.m1497.l2649 for $14
As you will also get a OD button if/when your TiVo provider will give it to you.
I have them and they work great even if you don't have OD

Old 08-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #7
JHawk

Thank you all for the info. I've been messing with the Tivo off and on all day and actually now think the culprit is the Tivo Expander hard drive. I've had nothing but trouble with those things but at least they have a 1 year warranty. Best Buy doesn't hassle me about a return. I should have thought of that expander first.

Anybody want a deal on a new premier sans the remote:-)
Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Try http://www.ebay.com/itm/111024009031...84.m1497.l2649 for $14
As you will also get a OD button if/when your TiVo provider will give it to you.
I have them and they work great even if you don't have OD
Sorry to go off topic but quick question, do these remotes control more then one Tivo? I've been wanting a new remote but mines has a switch for Tivo 1 and 2 and I would need that in a new remote since I have two units in my man cave.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Sorry to go off topic but quick question, do these remotes control more then one Tivo? I've been wanting a new remote but mines has a switch for Tivo 1 and 2 and I would need that in a new remote since I have two units in my man cave.
Not unless you reprogram the ID number between uses. I prefer the older 1-2 switch units with 2 Tivo's in the room
Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
You would need two remotes in the same room, or (not knowing what 2 TiVo you have in your man cave) you could only use one TiVo for watching programs by streaming between TiVos and only use the other remote when you had to program the other TiVo, OR wait until the 6 tuner TiVo is out and replace your two TiVos with that one.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
lpwcomp

Quote:
You would need two remotes in the same room, or (not knowing what 2 TiVo you have in your man cave) you could only use one TiVo for watching programs by streaming between TiVos and only use the other remote when you had to program the other TiVo, OR wait until the 6 tuner TiVo is out and replace your two TiVos with that one.
Or get one of the older remotes with the 1-2 switch, as mentioned by dianebrat. Available new for $18.99 from weaKnees or used from eBay for less.

Don't understand why the OP paid $29 + tax just to get a remote that could have been purchased for half that. However, utilizing the hard drive makes it worth the price.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
Soapm

Quote:
I have a premier and an HD. It's my poor mans version of a 4 channel Tivo though I'm about to get rid of the premier after losing my job. I got a nice severance but $12 is $12 and belt tightening means doing without.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote