TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #571
infin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
No, they are stored using both drives at the same time, parts on 1 drive and other parts on the other.
so no way of combining the backup files?
infin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:21 AM   #572
Cybernut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 32
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Yes, I see your point however with the much larger drives, you have so much more at stack and with more and more cable companies setting the copy once flag, backing up with Kmttg/desktop isn't as good as it once was. My cable provider just inflicted the copy limits on me this last January and I wasn't aware of the woes of such until just recently.

If my 3tb drive in my Roamio dies with no backup, I will be a basket case.
eboydog - Luckily for me on FiOS it's still just Cinemax & HBO that's flagged as copy-once. But even for copy-once shows, kmttg has devised a pretty good solution several versions ago but you'll have to spend a little bit to get that benefit.

Basically you'll need to buy a slingbox and then use kmttg to capture the slingbox signal. Read up on kmttg's wiki if you are interested in this feature. It may be a bit more manual process than regular kmttg operation but it works.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #573
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by infin View Post
I have a series 2 with 2 upgraded 250gb drives in it, the drives are dying so i went to go back it up. It made me select "full" option since it detected both drives. The image it backed up is only 240gb, did it only backup one drive? or is this normal? i didnt see a way to select both drives to backup at once, i just selected the main one.
To back up both drives you have two options:

1) Do two separate Full backups (one for each drive).

2) Connect both drives to the computer and choose Modified Full backup. When it asks you to select a drive pick the primary drive. It will see that it's married and ask you to select the second drive.

Either method will result in a separate VHD file for each drive, which you can restore one at a time. Modified Full should be faster and result in smaller files since it skips the unused sectors.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:59 AM   #574
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
If my 3tb drive in my Roamio dies with no backup, I will be a basket case.
I may be able to bodge something together after I finish the drive-to-drive copy and expand program. With the right drivers you could also use Linux and dd or ddrescue to image the drive to a single raw file.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #575
steve614
what ru lookin at?
 
steve614's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 10,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
...but if you purchase a HD movie off Amazon which is tied to the box, if you lose the drive, you lose the purchase (Gravity HD I paid $20 bucks for!). I doubt Amazon will refund my money or offer an additional download ability in say, two years from now should my Roamio drive go bad which it will eventually since no hard drive last forever.
I think you are mistaken about this. It is my understanding that Amazon limits the number of copies you can have on any device to 2 (at least this is true for my copy of Prometheus).
I have one copy on my TivoHD and one still available for download to another device.
I assume if I were to delete the copy on my TivoHD, the download count would go back to 2, because I wouldn't have a copy of the movie on any device.
Having said that, I am not going to test this on the small chance I am wrong. If anyone else can confirm what I said above is true, please speak up, otherwise my curiosity may get the better of me.
__________________
The Man Prayer: I'm a man ...... I can change ...... If I have to ...... I guess.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #576
Dago Red
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Parsippany, NJ
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I think you are mistaken about this. It is my understanding that Amazon limits the number of copies you can have on any device to 2 (at least this is true for my copy of Prometheus).
I have one copy on my TivoHD and one still available for download to another device.
I assume if I were to delete the copy on my TivoHD, the download count would go back to 2, because I wouldn't have a copy of the movie on any device.
Having said that, I am not going to test this on the small chance I am wrong. If anyone else can confirm what I said above is true, please speak up, otherwise my curiosity may get the better of me.
I have done this a few times before. After you delete the program, you need to also remove it from "Recently Deleted". Once the Tivo syncs again with Amazon, the download counter should increment. In any case, Amazon has great customer service and if there is any issue, they can adjust it manually.
Dago Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #577
eboydog
Busy watching TiVoTv
 
eboydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
I have done this a few times before. After you delete the program, you need to also remove it from "Recently Deleted". Once the Tivo syncs again with Amazon, the download counter should increment. In any case, Amazon has great customer service and if there is any issue, they can adjust it manually.
Interesting, I made the assumption that once downloaded there was no further synchronization. I understand what you are describing I just assumed there wasn't any further communications to Amazon once it confirmed the content had been loaded on a particular device. I will see check that later with a free download to see if such works, in fact I will try that on my PC as I had recently reload it so the downloads on it were removed.

It would make sense that there would be some type of assurance that content you purchase remains viable in situations were it can be lost once it's on your Tivo.
__________________


TiVo 3Tb Roamio basic
TiVo 2Tb Roamio basic
2 TiVo Premiere's
TiVo Stream
2 TiVo Mini's
eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #578
Cybernut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 32
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
...

It would make sense that there would be some type of assurance that content you purchase remains viable in situations were it can be lost once it's on your Tivo.
So I think the lesson from this is that if you are upgrading your drive, it is best to manually remove all Amazon purchases BEFORE replacing the drive. However, that may not always work as in the case of a TiVo drive failure when you cannot access the drive any more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
...In any case, Amazon has great customer service and if there is any issue, they can adjust it manually.
I completely agree about Amazon's legendary customer service on situations like this. An example was around the past Holidays, I had purchased a movie on Amazon using a free credit value I had accrued from other Amazon digital purchases. But after I made the purchase (I hadn't downloaded it to my device yet but it had been purchased) I called them when I realized that it was not the HD version of the movie and asked how I can cancel the purchase and re-purchase the HD movie. They manually cancelled the purchase for me and then asked me to re-purchase it again. I did and expected to pay $2 out-of-pocket since my free Amazon credit was only for $10, but to my pleasant surprise Amazon covered the additional $2 or $3 the HD version cost - so I got the HD movie for completely free

I have no doubt if one's movie's download count needed adjustment manually in the event of a TiVo drive failure, a quick call to Amazon's customer service would resolve the issue - they'll be able to remove the download from the Tivo device allowing you re-download again. I know for Amazon mp3's you don't even need to make a call - you can simply re-download the song from the Amazon digital library after logging into your account and going to your digital orders section of your account.
Cybernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |