TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #9211
pdhenry
Worker Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Then there is the reality.
"Digital Service" appears to be an AO fee for the second Cable Card to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #9212
lstone19

Having made four changes to my Comcast service this month (added a Cablecard (new Roamio), dropped two of the old digital to analog SD devices, added Internet, dropped two Cablecards (TiVos replaced by Minis), I thought they were getting things all screwed up regarding the COEs as after the first change, the confirmation email I received showed them (but just two), but the other three confirmation emails didn't show them. But then I noticed something that I also see in some of the bills posted here. COEs, rather than being shown with dates of service (the current billing month), show with just a single date (in my case, just three days before the billing date).

I'm speculating that rather than being a part of your monthly recurring service, something runs each month just before the billing date and applies any applicable COEs. In my case, the first change (adding a Cablecard) was made on 7/3, the same day the COEs were added (but I'm guessing after the COEs were added so at that time, there were just two cablecards on the account). The bill then went out on 7/6. I made change two on 7/11 - at that point, there were no COEs on the current part of the account. Changes three and four followed later in the month.

If I'm right, then around 8/3, they will do the next month's COE run and seeing one Cablecard on the account, will apply one COE. I'll find out late next week if it goes right (and if there are any pro-rated COEs for the partial months two were on the account).

In short, rather than being a part of the recurring monthly charges and credits, they're one-time credits applied automatically every month.

lstone19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #9213
RayChuang88

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Only in 2 trial cities in Georgia: Augusta and Atlanta. Outside of those two cities Comcast has no plans currently to switch to Mpeg4.

That may change, or they might drop the project like they did with switched video. Though if they do drop it, they might switch to HEVC, which I don't believe is compatible with any TiVo model.
Incorrect. I just got a notice from Comcast/Xfinity that Sacramento, CA will switch all their HD channels to MPEG-4 compression as of September 8, 2015. In short, I have to ditch my TiVo HDXL for a new Roamio model (there goes anywhere between US$300 to US$600 (glyph of dollar bills sprouting wings and flying away)).

TiVo HD XL (157 hours HD)--so to be retired
Roamio Pro (475 hours HD) coming soon
RayChuang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #9214
morac
Cat God

Official Comcast CableCard Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang88 View Post
Incorrect. I just got a notice from Comcast/Xfinity that Sacramento, CA will switch all their HD channels to MPEG-4 compression as of September 8, 2015. In short, I have to ditch my TiVo HDXL for a new Roamio model (there goes anywhere between US$300 to US$600 (glyph of dollar bills sprouting wings and flying away)).

Apparently that just went out very recently. Most Comcast areas are not transitioning to MPEG-4 any time soon.

If channel 1995 shows up, the area is being transitioned. If it doesn't, it isn't.

http://www.xfinity.com/hdenhanced

The good news about being upgraded to MPEG-4 is it effectively automatically triples the amount of hours the TiVo can store. You could get an older Premiere for cheaper, though once you experience the speed of a Roamio, you'll wonder how you managed without it.

morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:50 PM   #9215
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hafer View Post
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will go with 2 cards. My Series 3 TiVo is the one with a glossy black metal case and LED clock on the front. I am also currently using a TiVo Premiere which already has one Cablecard in it. I am not thrilled about lpwcomp mentioning the possible change over to Mpeg4. My Series 3 TiVo is not a big deal to me, but if I can not use my TiVo Premiere, then that may be a show stopper!
I have had both models of Tivo S3. But I have replaced them with a Roamio and given them to relatives. Now my memory is getting fuzzy regarding the colors of the boxes and the clocks you mentioned.

The S3 OLED (the one that displays the name of the program it is recording on the front panel) requires 2 cards (S or M). The one that does not display the name of the program requires only 1 M card. However, it has two slots and can use 2 S cards. You don't want that because you would pay a 2nd card rental fee. S cards are generally not available any more and you would use a single M card instead.

Tivo HD November 2007 - donated to family
Tivo Roamio Pro 2014
Tivo Mini (2) 2014
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:47 AM   #9216
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Do you have 2 TiVo's since you are getting 2 customer owned equipment discounts? That would explain the additional digital service charge.
I hope you're correct. Of course, with the transition the older TiVo will be no longer usable, so we'll go down to just the one TiVo. It seems you're saying that that would save us $7.50 a month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Interesting that they actually list the HD technology fee with no charge. Do you have any Comcast STB/DVR's?
No. We haven't had their DVD in here for two or three months, now.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:51 AM   #9217
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
The good news about being upgraded to MPEG-4 is it effectively automatically triples the amount of hours the TiVo can store.
Uh, okay that's troubling then. Is that going to get in the way of using my old TiVo Series 3 as a media extender, pulling content from my TiVo Roamio once the content is MPEG-4?

Old 07-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #9218
HerronScott

Quote:
Uh, okay that's troubling then. Is that going to get in the way of using my old TiVo Series 3 as a media extender, pulling content from my TiVo Roamio once the content is MPEG-4?
I would say yes except for the local stations which I understand are supposed to stay MPEG2.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #9219
morac
Cat God

Quote:

The Series 3 can't play MPEG-4 so I would say your setup won't work anymore for HD channels. A Mini will work.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #9220
bicker
Gruff

Okay so I've got a bunch of questions about the Mini (which I'm asking over >there<) ... but a question about MPEG-4: Can I safely assume that streaming from Roamio to Mini will be more responsive since there is 1/3 the amount of data to transfer?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #9221
John Hafer

Well, I ended up going for 2 Cablecards for my TiVo Series 3 (and I do have the one that displays the program name recording on the front panel). Now came the fun part of getting them activated....

Put in both cards, no problems and all went OK, then called Comcast and the CSR activated them but only one tuner worked. I stayed on the phone until he finally got the other tuner working (with the other card), but before hanging up, I wanted to make sure nothing happened to my other TiVo (which is a Premiere) that I had been using for over two years. Low and behold, I went and checked and all of a sudden, that one said, "This channel is not authorized" and the picture was frozen. He had to monkey with that card on the Premiere but finally got it going, so I was happy, so I thought....

Then after hanging up, I went back to my Series 3 TiVo and found that once again, one tuner was not working. So I called Comcast back and this time a different CSR said that one of the cards in the Series 3 was paired with the card in the Premier and asked me to start swapping cards. I did not want to do that so they then went through and repaired all 3 cable cards, one at a time until everything worked. I stayed on the line until I made sure both tuners worked on both the Series 3 and Premier TiVo's and the Xfinity On-demand still worked on the Premier. All seemed good so I thought.....

After ending the call, and thinking all was good, I went to check my e-mail only to find all of a sudden I had no internet! Called back Comcast to see if they somehow messed up my internet account but they said all was OK. So a Modem and Router reboot fixed it. Strange though, in that I have not had to reboot my Modem or Router in years. Not sure if sending all those activation signals down my cable caused my internet to crash but I guess I will never know.

Finally, everything seems to be working after 3 calls and a total of 57 minutes on the phone with Comcast. At least they were able to fix it all. I am thankful for that.

John Hafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:32 PM   #9222
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Okay so I've got a bunch of questions about the Mini (which I'm asking over >there<) ... but a question about MPEG-4: Can I safely assume that streaming from Roamio to Mini will be more responsive since there is 1/3 the amount of data to transfer?
I've found the Mini to be very responsive, almost like there was no streaming was taking place, so I don't really see how it could be more responsive.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #9223
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

I've found the Mini to be very responsive, almost like there was no streaming was taking place, so I don't really see how it could be more responsive.
I've not noticed any difference with my Minis whether watching a recording/channel in mpeg2 or h.264 on FiOS.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #9224
MVPinFLA
TiVo Fan

Channel Not Authorized

I have an intermittent problem where I get a channel not authorized message on my Roamio Pro. I don't have any premium channels and the problem occurs on the NBC and CBS HD channels most of the time. It normally fixes itself after a few hours. Sometimes rebooting the TiVo helps; but not always. If Comcast sends a signal with the Tivo unplugged, it will fix it; but not for long. I am assuming that the cable card is bad; but wanted to see if others had experienced it; and if so, what fixed it?

MVPinFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #9225
lstone19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstone19 View Post
Having made four changes to my Comcast service this month (added a Cablecard (new Roamio), dropped two of the old digital to analog SD devices, added Internet, dropped two Cablecards (TiVos replaced by Minis), I thought they were getting things all screwed up regarding the COEs as after the first change, the confirmation email I received showed them (but just two), but the other three confirmation emails didn't show them. But then I noticed something that I also see in some of the bills posted here. COEs, rather than being shown with dates of service (the current billing month), show with just a single date (in my case, just three days before the billing date).

I'm speculating that rather than being a part of your monthly recurring service, something runs each month just before the billing date and applies any applicable COEs. In my case, the first change (adding a Cablecard) was made on 7/3, the same day the COEs were added (but I'm guessing after the COEs were added so at that time, there were just two cablecards on the account). The bill then went out on 7/6. I made change two on 7/11 - at that point, there were no COEs on the current part of the account. Changes three and four followed later in the month.

If I'm right, then around 8/3, they will do the next month's COE run and seeing one Cablecard on the account, will apply one COE. I'll find out late next week if it goes right (and if there are any pro-rated COEs for the partial months two were on the account).
Well, it didn't happen as I expected but Comcast says that's because of all the changes and it will work right next month. Although they did manually apply a credit, the person I was speaking to says it only happens for Cablecards that were on the account the entire month. And in their view, I added Cablecard #3 at the beginning of the month, then removed #1 and #2 so none of them were on the account the entire month. They claim it will work correctly next month. We'll see.

lstone19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #9226
njweb

Exclamation 2 of 3 X1 boxes still showing on Comcast web app?

I have Comcast (X1) service.
I turned in my 3 Comcast X1 HD set top boxes and got 1 Cable card for my new Roamio. The Roamio is working well so far (using MoCA).

My 2 Minis are pending activation ("We're still processing your activation. Try again in 24 hours.").

The one potential issue (hoping it is just a glitch in the Comcast 'My Account' Android app) is that 2 of my 3 Comcast Motorola set top boxes (all 3 of which were turned in 2 days ago) are still showing up in the app!

Perhaps it is just a delay in the account being fully updated (the app is not without flaws).

Just wondering if other Comcast subscribers here had similar issues with their returned boxes still showing up in the account (within the Comcast 'My Account' app at least) and / or still being billed for returned boxes after switching to TiVo?

If so did you call the billing department or other department to sort matters out.

In any case, I'm happy with TiVo so far.
Looking forward to my Minis being activated without a hitch.

njweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #9227
MVPinFLA
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by njweb View Post
I have Comcast (X1) service.
I turned in my 3 Comcast X1 HD set top boxes and got 1 Cable card for my new Roamio. The Roamio is working well so far (using MoCA).

My 2 Minis are pending activation ("We're still processing your activation. Try again in 24 hours.").

The one potential issue (hoping it is just a glitch in the Comcast 'My Account' Android app) is that 2 of my 3 Comcast Motorola set top boxes (all 3 of which were turned in 2 days ago) are still showing up in the app!

Perhaps it is just a delay in the account being fully updated (the app is not without flaws).

Just wondering if other Comcast subscribers here had similar issues with their returned boxes still showing up in the account (within the Comcast 'My Account' app at least) and / or still being billed for returned boxes after switching to TiVo?

If so did you call the billing department or other department to sort matters out.

In any case, I'm happy with TiVo so far.
Looking forward to my Minis being activated without a hitch.
I don't remember my minis having an issue being activated. They were available when the Roamio was. However, we did move from DirecTV; but had been using the Comcast SA boxes before that and were still using their cable modem.

MVPinFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #9228
njweb

Thumbs up Just checked Comcast and see a bunch of credits

Thanks. The 24 hours Mini thing might be because while I purchased the Roamio directly from TiVo, the Minis were purchased from another retailer?

Update - Just checked my Comcast account online:
One sign that Comcast may have properly removed the boxes is some credits online in my Billing section.
I will still need to be sure all 3 returned set top boxes (STB's) are no longer on my account since it is hard to determine based on the limited description details in the NUMEROUS credit line items (see below):

Credits
($59.62)

ADDITIONAL OUTLET - Prorated ($3.83)
ADDITIONAL OUTLET - Prorated ($3.83)
12 MONTHS $89.99 ($19.72)
12 MONTHS $89.99 ($6.56)
12 MONTHS $89.99 ($0.78)
12 MONTHS $89.99 ($0.06)
12 MONTHS $89.99 ($5.89)
12 MONTHS $89.99 ($18.85)
STATE SALES TAX ($0.10

Old 08-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #9229
Thunderclap

I didn't have to activate my mini. I just plugged it in, it found my Roamio, and that was it.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:29 AM   #9230
njweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
I didn't have to activate my mini. I just plugged it in, it found my Roamio, and that was it.
Thanks. I assume you bought everything (Roamio and Mini) directly from TiVo

Old 08-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #9231
Thunderclap

Quote:
Thanks. I assume you bought everything (Roamio and Mini) directly from TiVo

Yep. Directly from Tivo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #9232
snerd

Quote:

I was told by a Comcast CSR that info on 'My Account' is only updated once per month. Depending on the timing, and whether you have automatic billing, you should get a credit on your bill next month.

snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #9233
njweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerd View Post
I was told by a Comcast CSR that info on 'My Account' is only updated once per month. Depending on the timing, and whether you have automatic billing, you should get a credit on your bill next month.

Thanks a lot for the info. Good to know.
We have decided to wait till one full billing cycle has passed to confirm all is well (the credits showing up online are a good start, although I don't know if they represent 2 boxes or 3 boxes being returned).

Since I received a receipt showing the equipment has been returned and credits are appearing, I prefer to wait.
The last thing I want in the interim to do is call them up to remove boxes (that may already have been properly removed) and have them disable cable card or screw something else up inadvertently.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #9234
njweb

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderclap View Post
Yep. Directly from Tivo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
Update regarding activating my Minis:
After reading up in the forums further, I found the 'force' method of having the Roamio and Mini 'call in' ('Connect to TiVo service' option under 'Network').
I did that on both the Roamio and first Mini and also restarted both.
That got the Mini up and running with the exception of VOD.
I then rebooted the Mini again (may have connected to TiVo service again too, although I think I just performed a second restart) and VOD is now also available.
Ironically, the TiVo 'My Account' page online still shows 'We're still processing your activation. Try again in 24 hours.' for both Minis even though I am using the one I hooked up so far and everything is working.

Given that I can control everything (OnePass and recordings etc.) via the Minis and given that my Roamio is upstairs where it gets warmer than the basement, I may move the Roamio from the second floor to the basement and then put the second Mini in its place (on 2nd floor).
This is to keep the HDD slightly cooler. Not sure it will make much difference, but figure it can't hurt...
Am I missing any downside in terms of features lost or performance lost using a Mini vs. the Roamio?

Old 08-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #9235
danterner
Not it!

With just a little pain, I think I'm now up and running again following my recent move.

Set up an installation appointment for the day following the move. Made it clear I would be needing multiple cable cards, and also that the installer would need to relocate a cable jack outlet. The installer showed up with zero cable cards and couldn't relocate the outlet. He did get the Internet and phone service up and running, and was able to do the non-cable card installs. Reset appointment for second install attempt to occur after I had moved the outlet myself. Specified it would be a multiple cable card install.

Moved the outlet. Second installer showed up with zero cable cards. He showed me his phone with its calendaring system on it, to show me that he had ten appointments for the day but he can only ever see the next three and that he can't see the details of the current appointment (specifying cable cards needed) until he actually arrives. All to show me that it he couldn't possibly have known he'd need cable cards for me. Frustrating for us both, moreso for me.

Traveled to the local xfinity store, waited an hour, and picked up three cards for a self-install. Came back home. Two cards work, one is a dud.

Looks like the adventure continues tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #9236
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Traveled to the local xfinity store, waited an hour, and picked up three cards for a self-install. Came back home. Two cards work, one is a dud.

Looks like the adventure continues tomorrow.
FWIW, the consensus opinion is that it is exceedingly rare for a CableCARD to malfunction. If it isn't working in your unit, it is much more likely to be a pairing or provisioning error or an anomaly in your account coding. (For example, the card may still be paired with a previous owner's unit, in which case it must first be un-paired.) If you call Comcast's dedicated CableCARD activation hotline (1-877-405-2298) and are persistent, chances are you can get that "dud" working.

chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #9237
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
FWIW, the consensus opinion is that it is exceedingly rare for a CableCARD to malfunction. If it isn't working in your unit, it is much more likely to be a pairing or provisioning error or an anomaly in your account coding. (For example, the card may still be paired with a previous owner's unit, in which case it must first be un-paired.) If you call Comcast's dedicated CableCARD activation hotline (1-877-405-2298) and are persistent, chances are you can get that "dud" working.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. I started dealing exclusively with the dedicated hotline after a few misfires with the general line - the first rep transferred me away to their "TiVo department" (which I quickly discovered was TiVo customer service itself, which clearly couldn't pair and activate a card for me), and the second Comcast rep once I called Comcast back tried to convince me that while she couldn't help me ("I've never seen one of those TiVo things - is it any good?"), the billing department, of all places, would be able to help "because they can enter codes that I can't." The actual cable card activation hotline rep seemed quite proficient - I dealt with three different people for the three different cards, though I'm pretty sure that person 1 and person 2 were the exact same person using two different names - I wonder if that is possible. When the dud card didn't work (it paired and showed channel information and on their end was showing I had s good signal but I had a black screen with no video on any channel despite waiting a long time, rebooting, unpairing and repairing, etc), we just tried the second and it paired and showed video right away.

| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:08 AM   #9238
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiguy50 View Post
FWIW, the consensus opinion is that it is exceedingly rare for a CableCARD to malfunction.
CableCARDs are the same kind of tech as USB keys. Some fraction of them are going to fail in service. If your cable company keeps track of cards reported bad and tests them before putting them back in service, bad cards will be as rare as your consensus believes. A cable company that doesn't give a crap about TiVos and just puts the cards back in inventory will eventually have a lot of bad cards floating about and TiVo customers will have a lot of problems getting started. Does that sound like anything we've seen here in these forums?

ej42137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #9239
chiguy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
CableCARDs are the same kind of tech as USB keys. Some fraction of them are going to fail in service. If your cable company keeps track of cards reported bad and tests them before putting them back in service, bad cards will be as rare as your consensus believes. A cable company that doesn't give a crap about TiVos and just puts the cards back in inventory will eventually have a lot of bad cards floating about and TiVo customers will have a lot of problems getting started. Does that sound like anything we've seen here in these forums?
I share your cynicism regarding the CableCARDs provided by Comcast for customer-owned equipment.

Thus the prefacing of my previous comments with "FWIW."

Full Disclosure: Just last week I installed a TiVo Roamio for my step-daughter, which I had given her as a house-warming gift. When the first card wouldn't initialize the channels, I took it back to the nearby Comcast service center and got two more cards, the first of which functioned properly. As a troubleshooting measure I wanted to eliminate the possibility of a bad CableCARD before getting into the weeds with a CSR who may or may not correctly diagnose the technical issue.

chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote