TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
gregor1

Benefits of buying from TiVo?

The other day Bought a refurb Premiere from another website only to notice a few hours later that TiVo has a deal on refurb Premiere units. The TiVo deal includes a wireless-g adapter and free trial of hulu. Neither of that is important to me. I will get a wireless-n adapter for the TiVo. This leads me to wonder if there is any other benefit from purchasing directly from TiVo? Do you get a deal on subscription?

Thanks!
gregor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor1 View Post
The other day Bought a refurb Premiere from another website only to notice a few hours later that TiVo has a deal on refurb Premiere units. The TiVo deal includes a wireless-g adapter and free trial of hulu. Neither of that is important to me. I will get a wireless-n adapter for the TiVo. This leads me to wonder if there is any other benefit from purchasing directly from TiVo? Do you get a deal on subscription?

Thanks!
The current deal from Tivo requires a subscription but I think they give you a break on the monthly cost. Buying from Tivo, if you don't already have a qualifying box, can get you the MSD discount for future boxes/service.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
The current deal from Tivo requires a subscription but I think they give you a break on the monthly cost.
All TiVos require a subscription, and the price is usually the same (for the subscription) regardless of where you purchase the DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Buying from Tivo, if you don't already have a qualifying box, can get you the MSD discount for future boxes/service.
Again, doesn't matter where you purchase it, you will get MSD on the second TiVo activation on your account.

Depending on your State, tax or no tax, and shipping charges along with the actual price of the TiVo will determine where I purchase. I have never purchased directly from TiVo, due to the fact they charge tax to AZ residents.

Also when you purchase directly from TiVo the Activation and your 30 days and 90 days starts when it ships. From any other retailer it starts when you Activate the TiVo online.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX

Also when you purchase directly from TiVo the Activation and your 30 days and 90 days starts when it ships. From any other retailer it starts when you Activate the TiVo online.
interesting to know. I've never really thought about that but it makes perfect sense to buy elsewhere in that case.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
gregor1

Thanks for the helpful insight.

It's been nearly 5 years since I've had a TiVo! I was on-board when they were giving them away at the beginning. I'm anxious to see what they can do now.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
gregor1

One more question:

For the Premiere boxes, are the only compatible wireless adapters the TiVo wireless adapters? Or, are there others that I could use?

Thanks!!
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Any Wireless N Bridge or Gaming Adapter will work, You do not need the TiVo N Adapter.

I am using the D-Link DAP-1522 Extreme 4-Port Gigabit Dual-Band Wireless-N Bridge/Access Point
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DAP-152.../dp/B001769K3O

For me the D-Link DAP-1522 is also capable of MRS streaming between Premieres without issue.

There are also several Wireless N Routers that can be configured as a Bridge.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #8
mattack

That's at *least* 3 times as much as you need to pay for a router that you can use in bridge mode.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
That's at *least* 3 times as much as you need to pay for a router that you can use in bridge mode.
........And your recommendation for a better 4-Port Gigabit Dual-Band Wireless-N Bridge is...........

Old 07-11-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
takeshi

Quote:
How do you know what CoxInPHX's needs are? Or did you mean "Tivo requires" instead of "you need"?
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #11
mattack

I don't know what his needs are, but basically, a router is a router.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

The DAp1522 has gigabit ports, can be used as an AP or Bridge, can be used with 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, and provides excellent speeds. I use eight of them at home. Four in AP mode and four in bridge mode. If I connect an elite to the bridge, I can get identical transfer speeds through the bridge as when I'm connected directly to my gigabit network.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
I don't know what his needs are, but basically, a router is a router.
Please list your top 3 picks of N routers to configure as a bridge and whether you use stock firmware or Tomato or DD-WRT and save us all some money.
1)
2)
3)

Old 07-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
mattack

Well, this is the one I currently have now.. though admittedly I kind of slacked off and bought two due to the 'built in' bridge mode.. because my previous router died a while ago..

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Techno.../dp/B003ZM17R0

But *two* of these was less than the one that the guy previously mentioned. I had a different one with ddwrt on it. I don't remember which one it is at the moment.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The DAp1522 has gigabit ports, can be used as an AP or Bridge, can be used with 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, and provides excellent speeds. I use eight of them at home. Four in AP mode and four in bridge mode. If I connect an elite to the bridge, I can get identical transfer speeds through the bridge as when I'm connected directly to my gigabit network.
I think you need to qualify that. If there is no congestion on the wireless network and no interference, one may obtain similar speeds on a TiVo, because the network bottleneck is the TiVo itself. In general, however, the overall available throughput on any wireless system is a fraction of that available on even a 100M wired LAN of any size, let alone a 1G network. As long as little else is going across the wireless network, one may indeed attain similar performance from a TiVo as one would on a wired network, but add in another 1 or 2 TiVos transferring video at the same time and maybe a download from the internet to something, and the speeds will drop precipitously. The link signal quality can also vary over time, with a resultant drop in speed to the affected client.

A wireless N network under ideal conditions can achieve something close to 300M of throughput TOTAL, and that means adding together upstream and downstream traffic, including TCP acknowledgements, which are typically about 15% - 20% of the downstream bandwidth. Thus, a perfect Wireless N network might deliver 260M of payload, or so. Meanwhile, the maximum theoretical throughput of a symmetrical 1G switch realm is equal to the number of hosts times 1000M. A 24 port Gig switch with a non-blocking matrix and ideal traffic patterns can deliver up to 24,000 Mbps. In the real world, 3000 - 4000 Mbps is not uncommon.

Last edited by lrhorer : 07-15-2012 at 02:05 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

I use five APs in my condo. So I won't have congestion issues or signal strength issues. And so I can always get the fastest speeds from my wireless devices. One of the things a properly setup WiFi network will have is multiple APs. Most people only have one AP in their dwelling which of course is going to always have issues if it has to cover an area that is too large or there are too many devices connected or the devices are too far away.

The vast majority of people do not have WiFi networks that are setup properly. And that is why they have issues.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote