TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 PM   #1
True Colors

quick question..... help needed with my MoCa setup

There are 3 rooms in my house involved here.

1) side room, includes Verizon FIOS router which cannot be moved

2) bedroom, has a Tivo Roamio with the MoCa bridge enabled. There is currently no ethernet cable going into this room. I do NOT wish to add any ethernet cables to this room.

3) living room, has a Tivo premiere. There currently IS an ethernet coming into this room from a different room. This setup looks terrible.

My goal is to get rid of the ethernet cable coming into the living room from a different room.

Here is what I have in mind....

I would like to establish a MocA to ethernet connection in my living room. ALSO, i would like to add a 4 port ethernet switch to this exact same area.

I already have in my possession a couple of Actiontec ECB2500C MoCa network adapters.

http://www.actiontec.com/251.html

Sooooooo........ what is the best way to proceed here?

Is this a simple matter of using a COAX splitter in the living room, and running one coax line from that to my Tivo Premier, and then the other side of it to the Moca Adapter that I already have, and then connecting an ethernet switch to the MoCa adapter?

Or is there a better way to do this?

Any assistance that you can provide in this matter will greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

No need for a splitter. Simple setup

Connect the coax to the TV-in on the adapter.
Connect the TV-out to the Tivo.
Connect the ethernet to a switch.
Connect your toys (Tivo included) to the switch.

*I'm assuming the Fios router is connected via coax and thus would be creating the moca network already. The Roamio should be set to "moca", but don't select the "Use this DVR to create a moca network" option.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-15-2014 at 11:20 PM.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

The Verizon Fios bridges your network to moca right? If so all you need is connect you Actiontec moca adapter for your premier's coax. Will need a two way splitter, one for the Premiere and the other to the moca adapter which in turn the moca adapter connects to a ethernet switch.

Your Roaming is currently a moca client, not a gateway right? (just objected by coax)
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
True Colors

My tivo roamio is currently serving as my moca bridge.

When I very first set up the roamio, I had a coaxial cable cable from the wall connected to it and also I had an Ethernet cable connected to it as well. I went into the settings of the Roamio and told it to enable moca. Then I unplugged the Ethernet cable. That was it. It was literally just that simple. Back at that time, I did not even have any moca adapter devices. The roamio did all the work.

In my living room I do want to have a hard wired connection, but I can no longer run an Ethernet cable into there from another room. It just looks too bad.

So in a nutshell, I want to extend my existing moca network into my living room. And then tack on an Ethernet switch onto that.

I think that big Jim has told me what I need to know. I do not need to add in a splitter because the particular model of moca adapter that I have already covers that.

Now i just need to run down to the electronics store and pick out an ethernet switch.

I will give it a shot and report back.

Thanks again.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #5
BigJimOutlaw

Just so we're on the same page, the Fios router is the host/bridge. Everything else (Roamio) is a moca client. The Roamio can't be a bridge without ethernet running to it, but you wouldn't want to do that anyway since the router is already doing it for you.

In any event, once you have the ethernet switch you're good to go.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-16-2014 at 01:45 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote