TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #91
astrohip
Stuart F

I've said this before, maybe not in this thread. I'm ok with bundling, but sports needs to be its own bundle. Mandating ESPN and its huge fees is unfair to those of us who have no interest in sports.

I watch no sports, except the occasional game on the OTA networks. I can't remember the last time I tuned to ESPN or Comcast SportsNet or yada yada. Yet I know there are $20 or so of my monthly bill just for those channels.

And I know there are people who say "you want sports, someone else wants to unbundle this or that", but sports are the only channels that demand (and get) huge fees. The only other ones that compare are the premium channels, and they are (rightly so) available ala carte.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #92
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I've said this before, maybe not in this thread. I'm ok with bundling, but sports needs to be its own bundle. Mandating ESPN and its huge fees is unfair to those of us who have no interest in sports.

I watch no sports, except the occasional game on the OTA networks. I can't remember the last time I tuned to ESPN or Comcast SportsNet or yada yada. Yet I know there are $20 or so of my monthly bill just for those channels.

And I know there are people who say "you want sports, someone else wants to unbundle this or that", but sports are the only channels that demand (and get) huge fees. The only other ones that compare are the premium channels, and they are (rightly so) available ala carte.
What about TNT and TBS?
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #93
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
What about TNT and TBS?
Look at the chart in post 51. You could get the next 10 most expensive non-sports channels for not much more than what ESPN charges for ESPN and ESPN2.

Code:
1.21	TNT
0.97	Disney
0.82	FOX News
0.62	USA
0.59	TBS
0.57	CNN/HLN
0.52	Nick
0.46	FX
0.39	MTV
0.37	Discovery
6.52	Total

Last edited by DevdogAZ : 10-31-2013 at 04:07 PM.
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #94
aindik

I was just pointing out that you are paying for sports when you pay for TNT and TBS.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 AM   #95
tvmaster2

this thread has become a metaphor: wasn't Fox Sports 1 the topic...is anyone watching? lol
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #96
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
this thread has become a metaphor: wasn't Fox Sports 1 the topic...is anyone watching? lol
Welcome to the forum. We tangent a lot here

I don't think I watched more than a few minutes of FS1 since it's been on the air. But I'm sure I will next year when they start carrying a bunch of baseball games.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #97
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

I've been watching "Fox Soccer Daily" pretty regularly. For the most part, I think it's better than "ESPN FC", but that might just be because the host is really cute.

Everything non-soccer FS1 does is either (a)of no interest to me, like UFC; or (b)is something ESPN does way better. I'm not nearly as fond of the jokers hosting Fox Sports Live as most sports TV critics are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lambertman : 11-01-2013 at 11:13 AM.
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #98
NYHeel

I would definitely pay $20 a month for the ESPN networks but I'm glad I don't have to and that I can pay about $60 a month for every channel including premiums. I think it's a bargain.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #99
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
I would definitely pay $20 a month for the ESPN networks but I'm glad I don't have to and that I can pay about $60 a month for every channel including premiums. I think it's a bargain.
That is a bargain. Most of us pay upwards if $100 if we have "every channel including premiums."
Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #100
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
..... I'm not nearly as fond of the jokers hosting Fox Sports Live as most sports TV critics are.
I love Jay & Dan, but I knew of them before FS1L, and they've definitely been reeled in a fair amount from what they were like on TSN.
It's sports for goodness sake, not brain surgery. Be idiotic, fun, irreverent, oddball and wacko...the nuttier the better. Even their podcast as been dialed back.
Is it religion or copyright law that makes everything so bland in the U.S.?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #101
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
You can save $10 a month with DirecTV by eliminating some sports channels. They have the Choice ($64.99) and Entertainment ($54.99) packages. With Entertainment you get ESPN and ESPN2 but that's it for sports. You don't get Big 10 Network, other ESPN channels, Fox Sports 1/2, your local Fox Sports, MLB or NFL. All other channels are the same comparing Entertainment and Choice.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is online now   Reply With Quote