Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #91
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
I think Don had a paternal epiphany for Bobby at the movies when Bobby said, "When people are sad, they go to the movies." If you watch again, Don looks admiringly upon Bobby for the much of the rest of the scene. Fast forward to later that night in the scene with Don and Megan sitting on the side of the bed and I think Don's epiphany is the source of his despairing soliloquy.

Now, fast forward again to when Don and Bobby are in bed and Bobby says something like, "I'm afraid that Henry might get shot [too]." Don had to be absolutely crushed by that comment. Here he is finally learning to love his son, but Bobby is bonding with Henry, not Don. Don must realize now he screwed up his chance to have a father/son relationship with Bobby, which in turn smacks Don in the gut, reminding him of his own failed paternal relationship.

In despair, Don handles it by going out onto the balcony, isolating himself. "Oh, my God, what a failed human being I am" Don must be saying to himself as he looks out on the violent world in despair itself.
(With the sirens blaring in the background. Seemed very ominous.)

(Just watched this ep last night.)

Surprised there wasn't more discussion about this in this thread; Don being the central character. I thought he has been particularly distasteful in his personal this season. And then we see some real emotion about his kids.

He then has a moment of realization in his personal life about. Was it just for Bobby? Or did that include Sally and Eugene? I could actually relate to that whole bit. Not that I am saying that I didn't love my children, but that the time goes so fast and I certainly didn't really appreciate for what it was at the time.

Will this be short term thing or real epiphany? Seems to be any time he has a choice to do the right thing he does the opposite. Was it just a short time reaction to the death of MLK much like Pete's? I think he genuinely saw something in Bobby that sparked some feeling in him.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #92
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Yes, until Pete totally made this about himself and not being able to be with his family. So it was really about what he was going through and not the death of MLK.
Pete tried to take advantage of the situation the same way others tried to (such as Peggy's realtor -- excuse me, Realtor), and avoided trying to (such as Ginsberg). But his call to Trudy was sincere underneath that. He needed someone to connect with in the wake of the event and she was the logical choice.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #93
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
......Will this be short term thing or real epiphany? Seems to be any time he has a choice to do the right thing he does the opposite. Was it just a short time reaction to the death of MLK much like Pete's? I think he genuinely saw something in Bobby that sparked some feeling in him.
I think Weiner might have laid the groundwork to motivate Don's paternal growth for the rest of the season. For the rest of the season we might see Don spending more quality time with the kids - unless of course he feels his relationship with the kids is a lost cause and just give it up to Henry.

My bet is Don tries briefly, but then falls back into character. Don fundamentally is handicapped by his own failed, non-existent relationship with his own "parents." Don had no role models when it comes to parenting.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #94
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
My bet is Don tries briefly, but then falls back into character. Don fundamentally is handicapped by his own failed, non-existent relationship with his own "parents." Don had no role models when it comes to parenting.
I think you are right. It is his flaws that make him interesting. The one thing we can expect is for Don to disappoint us with his personal decisions.

It's funny. This is in contrast to his professional life. He seems to be the conscience of the 2 ad agencies he has worked for.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #95
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDC View Post
I like both very much but the styles are so different that I can see someone liking one but not the other.
This.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #96
Mr. Soze
The Devil you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I get that. But I still wanted Harry to punch him in the face 4 or 5 times.
I think it would actually be the 4th or 5th time he'd be punched in the face. Lane, his train buddy whose wife he banged, and the train conductor. I hope I haven't missed any - I rewatched the Lane fight at least a dozen times.

Harry definitely is sucking around for his first though.

My second favorite Mad Man scene.

Pete and Lane

Last edited by Mr. Soze : 05-06-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Mr. Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #97
markymark_ctown

classic...don closing the curtains!
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #98
stellie93

Thanks for that! I love Roger's line. And you see Don start to get up and think he's going to stop it, but then he goes for the curtains. And Roger lights a cigarette. Funniest scene ever.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote