TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
mwhip
All better
 
mwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16,520
"Modern Family" actor removed from home

Ariel Winter who plays Alex Dunphy on Modern Family has been removed from her mother and is living with her sister while allegations of abuse are sorted out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2100311.html
__________________
"It's not stealing if you need it. And you need it." - Inignot

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
mwhip
All better
 
mwhip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 16,520
I find this all very interesting because I follow her on Twitter and Instagram and when she first started dating that guy she was getting hammered on both sites for the age disparity in the relationship. Then abruptly stopped posting photos of them and stopped talking about him on twitter. I also thought it was odd that she dresses very proactively for a 14-year-old.

Most likely this is a case where both parties are probably at fault and both allegations need to be handles separately. Investigate the mother for abuse and investigate the boyfriend and her for statutory rape. One question though, can the statutory be waved if the mother gives consent? That seems very shady.
__________________
"It's not stealing if you need it. And you need it." - Inignot

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,309
Why would an 18 year old boy/man want a 14 year old girl anyway? What do they talk about? Either she's very intelligent or he's pretty stupid.

Mom has a 34 year old and a 14 year old? Sounds like mom was getting her groove on for a good while.
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Why would an 18 year old boy/man want a 14 year old girl anyway? What do they talk about? Either she's very intelligent or he's pretty stupid.
Not that I am condoning it, but she's not your average 14 year old. She's a television star that's making a lot of money. There are 18 year olds that are going to be attracted to that.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
waynomo
My One Time
 
waynomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 5,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Not that I am condoning it, but she's not your average 14 year old. She's a television star that's making a lot of money. There are 18 year olds that are going to be attracted to that.
Remember the Drew Barrymore stories? I don't remember the exact ages (younger than 14), but she could get into any club she wanted to, have anything see wanted, etc.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,372
I caught part of this on TMZ the other day and the interesting thing that they alleged was that the older sister had similar allegations when she was Winter's age.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt
 
jamesbobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,673
Not to mention that Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old, who was his second cousin as I recall.
__________________
Many people suffer in this world, we should not complain about TV.
jamesbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker
 
busyba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 26,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Why would an 18 year old boy/man want a 14 year old girl anyway? What do they talk about? Either she's very intelligent or he's pretty stupid.
18 & 14 could easily be a high school senior and a high school freshman. Nothing odd about that.

This isn't a Courtney Stodden situation.
__________________
"Wow... I so love you" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
brebeans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 487
Wow...some of the responses to this are a bit scary....almost "blaming the victim".

If she's abused or raped, it doesn't matter how old she is, how much money she makes or how famous she is.
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by brebeans View Post
Wow...some of the responses to this are a bit scary....almost "blaming the victim".

If she's abused or raped, it doesn't matter how old she is, how much money she makes or how famous she is.
The "abuse" being discussed here isn't sexual abuse. They're claiming that her mother was verbally and physically abusive, and that she calls her daughter fat and withholds food from her, etc.

The sexual allegations were completely separate from the abuse, and were based on "alleged" consensual sex with her boyfriend.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Not to mention that Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old, who was his second cousin as I recall.
Huh?
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The "abuse" being discussed here isn't sexual abuse. They're claiming that her mother was verbally and physically abusive, and that she calls her daughter fat and withholds food from her, etc.
The forms of abuse included "attempting to sexualize minor". You left that out.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt
 
jamesbobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Huh?
In response to "why would an 18 year old want a 14 year old". Ask Jerry Lee Lewis.
__________________
Many people suffer in this world, we should not complain about TV.
jamesbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
In response to "why would an 18 year old want a 14 year old". Ask Jerry Lee Lewis.
Ah...OK...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post

The forms of abuse included "attempting to sexualize minor". You left that out.
I wasn't even sure what that meant and it sounded made up, so I left it out. Is that saying that Ariel's mom made her dress slutty or something?
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
jamesl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I wasn't even sure what that meant and it sounded made up, so I left it out. Is that saying that Ariel's mom made her dress slutty or something?
that's what I thought it meant

I figure the mom wants here to lose weight, dress slutty, maybe setup an "accidental" nip slip or pantyless limo exit all in the hopes of getting the daughter more press and bigger parts in movies
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
sieglinde
Registered User
 
sieglinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 5,370
State laws differ. The age difference between the adult and the minor, if it is under a certain amount of years can be legal. This is a four year age difference so it probably is not legal. (this prevents consensual sex between teenagers ie a 15 and a 17 year old for example from being criminalized.) I think California is a 2 year difference. Where was the mother in this. I would think that she would not want her daughter going out with an 18 year old.
__________________
Science over Superstition
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
State laws differ. The age difference between the adult and the minor, if it is under a certain amount of years can be legal. This is a four year age difference so it probably is not legal. (this prevents consensual sex between teenagers ie a 15 and a 17 year old for example from being criminalized.) I think California is a 2 year difference. Where was the mother in this. I would think that she would not want her daughter going out with an 18 year old.
I don't think this case has much to do with the minor and her boyfriend having sex. The issue was the way the mother was treating the daughter, and it was only after there was a complaint filed with the court that she then brought up the relationship between her daughter and the boyfriend to try and deflect the charges against her.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
sieglinde
Registered User
 
sieglinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sebastopol, CA
Posts: 5,370
Thankfully the Jackie Cogan laws should be protecting her money that she has made on the show.
__________________
Science over Superstition
sieglinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |