TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
mwhip
All better

"Modern Family" actor removed from home

Ariel Winter who plays Alex Dunphy on Modern Family has been removed from her mother and is living with her sister while allegations of abuse are sorted out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2100311.html

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
mwhip
All better

I find this all very interesting because I follow her on Twitter and Instagram and when she first started dating that guy she was getting hammered on both sites for the age disparity in the relationship. Then abruptly stopped posting photos of them and stopped talking about him on twitter. I also thought it was odd that she dresses very proactively for a 14-year-old.

Most likely this is a case where both parties are probably at fault and both allegations need to be handles separately. Investigate the mother for abuse and investigate the boyfriend and her for statutory rape. One question though, can the statutory be waved if the mother gives consent? That seems very shady.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
cheesesteak
Meh.

Why would an 18 year old boy/man want a 14 year old girl anyway? What do they talk about? Either she's very intelligent or he's pretty stupid.

Mom has a 34 year old and a 14 year old? Sounds like mom was getting her groove on for a good while.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Why would an 18 year old boy/man want a 14 year old girl anyway? What do they talk about? Either she's very intelligent or he's pretty stupid.
Not that I am condoning it, but she's not your average 14 year old. She's a television star that's making a lot of money. There are 18 year olds that are going to be attracted to that.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Not that I am condoning it, but she's not your average 14 year old. She's a television star that's making a lot of money. There are 18 year olds that are going to be attracted to that.
Remember the Drew Barrymore stories? I don't remember the exact ages (younger than 14), but she could get into any club she wanted to, have anything see wanted, etc.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
JYoung
Series 3

I caught part of this on TMZ the other day and the interesting thing that they alleged was that the older sister had similar allegations when she was Winter's age.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Not to mention that Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old, who was his second cousin as I recall.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
18 & 14 could easily be a high school senior and a high school freshman. Nothing odd about that.

This isn't a Courtney Stodden situation.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #9
brebeans

Wow...some of the responses to this are a bit scary....almost "blaming the victim".

If she's abused or raped, it doesn't matter how old she is, how much money she makes or how famous she is.
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by brebeans View Post
Wow...some of the responses to this are a bit scary....almost "blaming the victim".

If she's abused or raped, it doesn't matter how old she is, how much money she makes or how famous she is.
The "abuse" being discussed here isn't sexual abuse. They're claiming that her mother was verbally and physically abusive, and that she calls her daughter fat and withholds food from her, etc.

The sexual allegations were completely separate from the abuse, and were based on "alleged" consensual sex with her boyfriend.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
Not to mention that Jerry Lee Lewis married a 13 year old, who was his second cousin as I recall.
Huh?
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #12
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The "abuse" being discussed here isn't sexual abuse. They're claiming that her mother was verbally and physically abusive, and that she calls her daughter fat and withholds food from her, etc.
The forms of abuse included "attempting to sexualize minor". You left that out.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Huh?
In response to "why would an 18 year old want a 14 year old". Ask Jerry Lee Lewis.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #14
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
In response to "why would an 18 year old want a 14 year old". Ask Jerry Lee Lewis.
Ah...OK...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post

The forms of abuse included "attempting to sexualize minor". You left that out.
I wasn't even sure what that meant and it sounded made up, so I left it out. Is that saying that Ariel's mom made her dress slutty or something?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I wasn't even sure what that meant and it sounded made up, so I left it out. Is that saying that Ariel's mom made her dress slutty or something?
that's what I thought it meant

I figure the mom wants here to lose weight, dress slutty, maybe setup an "accidental" nip slip or pantyless limo exit all in the hopes of getting the daughter more press and bigger parts in movies
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
sieglinde

State laws differ. The age difference between the adult and the minor, if it is under a certain amount of years can be legal. This is a four year age difference so it probably is not legal. (this prevents consensual sex between teenagers ie a 15 and a 17 year old for example from being criminalized.) I think California is a 2 year difference. Where was the mother in this. I would think that she would not want her daughter going out with an 18 year old.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
State laws differ. The age difference between the adult and the minor, if it is under a certain amount of years can be legal. This is a four year age difference so it probably is not legal. (this prevents consensual sex between teenagers ie a 15 and a 17 year old for example from being criminalized.) I think California is a 2 year difference. Where was the mother in this. I would think that she would not want her daughter going out with an 18 year old.
I don't think this case has much to do with the minor and her boyfriend having sex. The issue was the way the mother was treating the daughter, and it was only after there was a complaint filed with the court that she then brought up the relationship between her daughter and the boyfriend to try and deflect the charges against her.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
sieglinde

Thankfully the Jackie Cogan laws should be protecting her money that she has made on the show.