TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
unitron

WD20EURS $90 at newegg 'til 5/7/13

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

Use promo code

EMCYTZT3403

to get $10 off of $99.99

Ends 11:59 PM Pacific Time, Tuesday night, May 7th, 2013

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #2
mr.unnatural

Out of curiousity, has anyone used wdidle3 on a WD green drive for Tivo use? It's a utility that allows you to adjust the Intellipark setting from the default value of 8 seconds.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
buscuitboy

I have used wdidle3 for a WD "green" drive. I used it with an older PC that basically was out of commission. I connected my 500GB "green" drive to the motherboard. I burned a wdidle3 .ISO file to a disc and then booted it from the PC's CD drive (that had the 500GB WD drive connected to it). All went well for me to turn it off. I basically was able to find some step-by-step instructions on youtube.

I then put a Series 3 (OLED) image on it and put it in my TiVO. Its been working good for me.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
mr.unnatural

I was curious because Tivo drives tend to seek constantly so it may be a moot point when used in a Tivo. The buffer is always recording whatever channel the Tivo is tuned to so the heads probably never get parked. I believe the only time you really need wdidle3 is if you use a WD green drive in a server. The general recommendation is that you reset the delay to 300 seconds and don't turn it off entirely. Some people have reported problems on certain green drives when turning off the Intellipark function completely.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I was curious because Tivo drives tend to seek constantly so it may be a moot point when used in a Tivo. The buffer is always recording whatever channel the Tivo is tuned to so the heads probably never get parked. I believe the only time you really need wdidle3 is if you use a WD green drive in a server. The general recommendation is that you reset the delay to 300 seconds and don't turn it off entirely. Some people have reported problems on certain green drives when turning off the Intellipark function completely.
The problem with the idle setting is not during active operation, but during boot. The default idle time on green drives is too short, such that during boot, the drive will go idle, and when the system tries to access it again, it appears offline and induces the Tivo to enter an endless boot-loop.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The problem with the idle setting is not during active operation, but during boot. The default idle time on green drives is too short, such that during boot, the drive will go idle, and when the system tries to access it again, it appears offline and induces the Tivo to enter an endless boot-loop.
Hence the recommendation to lengthen the idle time rather that turn it off completely.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Hence the recommendation to lengthen the idle time rather that turn it off completely.
I had a WD drive (not the one on sale as it has the timer disabled) set for 8 sec and in a Series 3 still cause a problem on a warm boot, just turned it off, no reason to leave it on for TiVo use.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
bmgoodman

Just another warning that NewEgg will just toss these drives into a box with some peanuts where they can "rattle" around until they reach your home. Their customer service said the drives do NOT come in the small cardboard boxes with the plastic end caps. At least, they told me that several weeks ago when I specifically asked.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
mr.unnatural

I can personally attest to that fact. It's one of my biggest beefs with Newegg. Unfortunately, just about every other online vendor does the same thing with OEM drives. What's ironic is that bare OEM drives tend to come with better warranties than their retail counterparts. What confuses me is that if a bare drive is packed securely in peanuts so that it can't move about in the box, it theoretically has the same level of shock protection as one packed with the plastic holders. If you drop either box the drive will suffer pretty much the same. The real damage occurs when the drive is loose in the box and allowed to bounce around.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I had a WD drive (not the one on sale as it has the timer disabled) set for 8 sec and in a Series 3 still cause a problem on a warm boot, just turned it off, no reason to leave it on for TiVo use.
8 seconds is the default setting. If you can get away with shutting it off then no harm, no foul. There have been reports of problems shutting it off, so I'd be hesitant to do so. But, as you say, it may be fine for Tivo use. I'd be inclined to believe that the vast majority of feedback with regards to using wdidle3 has been with non-Tivo situations.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
HerronScott

Quote:
8 seconds is the default setting. If you can get away with shutting it off then no harm, no foul. There have been reports of problems shutting it off, so I'd be hesitant to do so. But, as you say, it may be fine for Tivo use. I'd be inclined to believe that the vast majority of feedback with regards to using wdidle3 has been with non-Tivo situations.
Intellipark does come disabled on the WD AV-GP drives (WD20EURS for example) and I used wdidle3 to verify it. I think those are still classified as Green drives as well.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
wedenton

$94 at Amazon

$94 at Amazon and the drives I ordered did come in the small cardboard boxes with plastic end caps. Shipped free with supersaver.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Ditto, just ordered one yesterday from Amazon, even cheaper with Prime for overnight shipping.

Hopefully that'll resolve the spontaneous reboots I had on a TivoHD yesterday...

<sigh> Amazon's great, and refunded the extra $4 for overnight shipping that LaserShip didn't provide...

Last edited by wkearney99 : 05-09-2013 at 08:11 AM.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote