TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
malayphred
Underpowered User

I'm confused about "bridges"

Being confused is a normal state for me, so this is not that unusual.

But, I am trying to wrap my head around the "bridge" devices and how I can connect my S3 and Premier to communicate with my wireless router. Right now I am using a Tivo N adapter on my Premiere and a Tivo G adapter on my S3. I am going to purchase a new Premiere unit and also hook it up to the existing network (somehow) and don't really want to shell out another $90 for an N adapter.

I have gathered that hard wiring the DVR's to my router is the preferred setup, but routing the ethernet cables will be problematical due to the distances and home architecture layout. I have done a bit of research into the MOCA system, but am not convinced it's the way to go for me (but my mind can be changed).

Can someone explain the "bridge" system to me? A diagram would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance. You folks here on TC are the best
malayphred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
cheese toast

A bridge is basically another wireless router in bridge mode. You would connect devices to it and it would make those devices wireless. Not all routers can be bridges and getting it to work can be tricky. I went another route, powerline networking. It runs at about 170Mbps and is fast enough to stream HD. I have one WD LiveWire connected to my router and another behind the entertainment system. Both are 4 port and work very well. Plus it's expandable by adding in more units in other areas. The starter kit runs $60 on amazon and includes 2 units.

To learn more about home networking, check out this site: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/h...me_Network.htm
cheese toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

MoCA is the best way to go. It is very simple, plug & play, and pretty much bulletproof.

Just install one moCA adapter near your router, hook up the ethernet cable to the router and coax cable. Now you have set up MoCA. Where ever you need access to your LAN(ethernet), install another MoCA adapter to the coax, and an ethernet cable to the device. That is it!

Exceptions: MoCA is built into the TiVo Premiere 4 and XL4, and the upcoming Mini. So in these instances, the MoCA adapter has to be installed by the router only.

Last edited by Davisadm : 02-24-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote