TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #31
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Anyone who's used the Stream on an iPad knows that the controls are very limited. It's basically 8 second IR and 30 second skip.
What? I'm confused by this. The iOS App offers a scrub bar so you can jump to anywhere in the stream - in fact that's one of the major advantages of watching via the iOS app over watching on the TiVo itself. I must be misunderstanding your statement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #32
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
What? I'm confused by this. The iOS App offers a scrub bar so you can jump to anywhere in the stream - in fact that's one of the major advantages of watching via the iOS app over watching on the TiVo itself. I must be misunderstanding your statement.
For me its missing the frame preview while scrubbing. I guess technically not necessary, but for fast-forward / rewind getting those frames are helpful to know when to stop.

Last edited by jwbelcher : 07-25-2014 at 06:37 AM.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #33
bji

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Good stuff, thanks.

It bugs me that he keeps pronouncing it as "Hex". Maybe that's the community's preferred pronunciation, I dunno; but it makes no sense.

Obvious pronunciation: "Hacks"
Plausible alternate pronunciations: "Hacks-ee", "Haycks"
Impossible pronunciation under any known rules of English: "Hex"
"hex" is an acceptable pronunciation, and if you do a google search you'll find that lots of people pronounce it that way, and that some even claim that it is the "official" pronunciation (although I think the claim is overblown as there isn't an "official" pronunciation that I am aware of).
bji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:58 AM   #34
BigJimOutlaw

Anxious to see how Tivo evolves going forward, bji. We're excited about the switch.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #35
Grakthis

Quote:
I'm not sure they switched away from Flash completely. The Premiere hardware was based around Flash and I'm not sure the CPU has enough juice to run the UI natively. Although it looks like Haxe allows Flash as a target for the compiler, so maybe they are using Haxe to make the UI more hardware independent for future hardware or for porting to MSO hardware while compiling as Flash for current hardware.
This would be my guess. So that now they can compile their UI into a different platform and run it on different boxes. They have already demo'd this, right? Running it on Amazon's hardware.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #36
JosephB

Quote:
The only way that a Roku or Amazon TV could actually watch video from a TiVo is if they used the Stream, as those devices only support H.264 encoding natively. Anyone who's used the Stream on an iPad knows that the controls are very limited. It's basically 8 second IR and 30 second skip. So I'm not sure a full TiVo remote would really be necessary.
You're assuming that is a limitation of the Stream itself instead of the client software to this point. You're also assuming that they can't buffer the video at the client and srub through it from the buffer.

We didn't see video when he was running it on the Amazon Fire TV, but he said it was "the same code" as a real TiVo box, so I assume it's probably closer to using the same APIs and interfaces as the Mini than the iPad app, and you can trick play and RW and FF just fine on a Mini.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #37
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bji View Post
"hex" is an acceptable pronunciation, and if you do a google search you'll find that lots of people pronounce it that way, and that some even claim that it is the "official" pronunciation (although I think the claim is overblown as there isn't an "official" pronunciation that I am aware of).
Congratulations on your first post. Welcome to the forums.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #38
bji

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
Thank you. I have been informed that as an employee of TiVo I should let you know that my comments never have and never will represent TiVo in any official capacity. They are simply my own opinions.

But just so you know, we all pronounce it "hex" here, because we were informed when we started working with this technology that this was the generally accepted pronunciation, and at this point, it's second nature for all of us.
bji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

???? so Haxe is pronounced "Hex"???

I would have never guessed that.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #40
JosephB

Quote:
Thank you. I have been informed that as an employee of TiVo I should let you know that my comments never have and never will represent TiVo in any official capacity. They are simply my own opinions.

But just so you know, we all pronounce it "hex" here, because we were informed when we started working with this technology that this was the generally accepted pronunciation, and at this point, it's second nature for all of us.
Let me take this one opportunity to inappropriately derail this thread by jumping on the fact you're a TiVo employee. After this post I'll treat you just as if you were any other poster.

I hope the Xbox client won't be hypothetical forever. The fact that it's a possibility is probably one of the biggest things I got excited about out of the Haxe slide deck. I'd pay to have Mini-like functionality on my Xbox.

Oh, and ESPN3, HBO Go and Amazon Prime streaming for Roamios. That's all

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #41
kulick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
???? so Haxe is pronounced "Hex"???

I would have never guessed that.
The language creator is French. When he says it, it sounds a bit more like 'ecks' to me, but I just say 'hex'. With any pronunciation, it's still pretty cool technology.
kulick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #42
jwbelcher

feeling the engineering presence today.. indeed very cool tech. can't wait to see what's in the pipeline.

Last edited by jwbelcher : 07-25-2014 at 05:29 PM.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #43
JWhites

Can someone do everyone a huge favor and update the Wikipedia TiVo website to reflect currently accurate information? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TiVo_di..._TiVo_Premiere
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #44
JWhites

Quote:

Careful, now people are going to yell at you when TiVo doesn't deliver on their deadlines.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #45
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveak View Post
Hope he doesn't get scared away like the last one. I miss TiVoBill.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #46
bdraco

Thanks TiVo & all the devs that worked on this. The UI is much more responsive. I'm very happy to see the change as I expect it will lead to faster and more reliable updates (not that I've had any problems lately).
bdraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #47
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I meant that it wont be able to offer the full TiVo experience, with 3 levels of FF/RW, skip to tick, etc... So it wont be exactly like the Mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
You're assuming that is a limitation of the Stream itself instead of the client software to this point. You're also assuming that they can't buffer the video at the client and srub through it from the buffer.

We didn't see video when he was running it on the Amazon Fire TV, but he said it was "the same code" as a real TiVo box, so I assume it's probably closer to using the same APIs and interfaces as the Mini than the iPad app, and you can trick play and RW and FF just fine on a Mini.
It's not a limit of the Stream per say, it a limit of on the fly transcoding. There will always be a lag when you have to transcode from MPEG-2 to H.264. There are buffering and timing issues, plus the added overhead of two network transfers happening. And buffering wouldn't really work because any time you skipped beyond the edge of the buffer it would have to refill, and the bigger the buffer the longer that would take.

But there are some tricks I can think of that "might" be able to recreate the true TiVo experience. One would be to do FF in the decoder. (RW is a bit trickier) So basically the decode leg would FF just like a regular TiVo, only decoding the frames that would actually be displayed, and then feed those into the encoder as if they are consecutive frames. So as far as the encoder, and player, are concerned it's a regular stream playing at 1x, but what you'd see is the video playing at high speed like it's FFing. They'd have to use a relatively high bitrate though as the constant hard scene changes involved would trip up a low bitrate encode and you'd end up wit a smeared, pixelated, mess. The timing could also be a bit tricky to make it look smooth, but I'm sure they deal with that already just displaying FF on the TiVo itself. This also may not be possible depending on how the Stream hardware is designed and how much software control they have over the transcoding process. Although if the Stream can't do it they might be able to do it on the TiVo side by manipulating the MPEG-2 stream being sent to the Stream.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote