TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #31
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post
Although I agree with the sentiment here, you are putting words in her mouth. I just rewatched this episode. She actually says "At this point, I want to keep the fact that I'm smart and have a doctorate a secret because it has been working for us ..." (approximately 5:30 into the episode -- hard to tell for sure since show started late due to basketball).

So, she doesn't refer to her PharmD degree as a PhD.
NO ONE I know who is a pharmacist says they have a Doctorate. Period. And only insecure people who have a PharmD use the Dr honorific.

Honestly, a PharmD is much less work and time than a comparable PhD in nearly any field. In many cases, you do not have to have an undergrad degree to get a PharmD is you score well on the PCAT or have sufficient prerequisite credits.

Additionally, while not authoritative in any sense, Wikipedia agrees with what my Pharmacist friends say ( some old BS degree holders and some PharmD holders)

" The designation PharmD is sometimes erroneously likened to a PhD degree which is an advanced scientific degree in this field (i.e. Ph.D in Pharmacology or Pharmaceutics). The former degree was a Bachelor of Pharmacy and required slightly less schooling and different curriculum. "

Decide for yourself but if people in the business don't say that, why should she. FWIW, at 24, it appears she just graduated and has probably never practiced her profession.
rosieambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #32
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieambles View Post
" The designation PharmD is sometimes erroneously likened to a PhD degree which is an advanced scientific degree in this field (i.e. Ph.D in Pharmacology or Pharmaceutics). The former degree was a Bachelor of Pharmacy and required slightly less schooling and different curriculum. "

Decide for yourself but if people in the business don't say that, why should she. FWIW, at 24, it appears she just graduated and has probably never practiced her profession.
So she could have a doctorate in one of those other things and not a PharmaD?

She is young but maybe she is just really smart and graduated early. FWIW, her bio page on CBS says she works in a long term care facility as a pharmacist and that she graduated with a doctorate in Pharmacy.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #33
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Just like a law degree (JD) is technically a doctorate, I'll bet the Pharm.D degree is also technically a doctorate, although no lawyers call themselves doctors and I doubt Pharm.D holders refer to themselves as doctors either.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #34
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
So she could have a doctorate in one of those other things and not a PharmaD?

She is young but maybe she is just really smart and graduated early. FWIW, her bio page on CBS says she works in a long term care facility as a pharmacist and that she graduated with a doctorate in Pharmacy.
At her age, possible but unlikely. If she has a PhD not a PharmD, it would be in something more specific. e.g. some specific area of Pharmacy practice like Toxicology or Chemotherapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Just like a law degree (JD) is technically a doctorate, I'll bet the Pharm.D degree is also technically a doctorate, although no lawyers call themselves doctors and I doubt Pharm.D holders refer to themselves as doctors either.
A few do but it's not commonly done. The issue is that the industry doesn't find it to be standard practice. I think she said it because she doesn't know better. Fwiw, being a pharmacist at long term care facility is not exactly the top of the industry. Someone the opposite in fact.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #35
laria
Librocubicularist

She was also a Buffalo Bills cheerleader, which I notice made no appearance on her bio.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #36
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieambles View Post
I think she said it because she doesn't know better.
Once again, what she said is "I have a doctorate" which, by everything we have seen is true. She didn't say she has a PhD. She didn't refer to herself as a doctor. She said "I have a doctorate" which appears to be true.
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #37
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post
Once again, what she said is "I have a doctorate" which, by everything we have seen is true. She didn't say she has a PhD. She didn't refer to herself as a doctor. She said "I have a doctorate" which appears to be true.
A technicality from my POV. We disagree. I know many pharmacists and I asked them about this. None said they had a doctorate or called themselves Doctor. I think this is the crux of the issue.

Regardless. she continues to make herself look stupid when she says she's the brains of the outfit.

Last edited by rosieambles : 04-01-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #38
rosieambles

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
She was also a Buffalo Bills cheerleader, which I notice made no appearance on her bio.
TAR wanted a hook for the team. Brains and the Beast hadn't been done before.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #39
rosieambles

Wow, there are some angry pharmacists out there.. LOL

http://www.theangrypharmacist.com/ar...cists_are.html