TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
bsmith1051

Question record 2 area-codes?

I am located in Southern California and can pull in stations from both San Diego and Los Angeles. But is there a way to program my Premiere for both areas? Currently I only have it setup for San Diego (because those stations are strongest) but my wife wants me to add a second antenna aimed at LA so that we can pick up the additional channels there.

I think I would have to buy a second Premiere and 'aim' it only at LA, but then we get into switching between different tuner/DVRs -- which has poor WAF.
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

I think you can buy antennas that you can tune to multiple stations in multiple directions. (Not sure since it has been a long time since I have looked into this.)

If you can find an antenna that you can do that to, then recording the LA stations shouldn't be an issue. I believe that OTA signals are pretty standard. So if the channel doesn't show up you can still program you TiVo to record that LA station. The only downside is that the program guide data won't be there.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
bsmith1051

I know I can receive both areas by tying two directional antennas together, and possibly using some filters. My question is all about making the Tivo 'accept' both OTA regions.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

It all depends on what shows up in their lineup. If they don't have a channel you want then you can request a lineup change, but it could take a while and there is no guarantee they will listen.

Without the channel in the lineup you can still tune it manually, but wont be able to record anything because there is no data.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It all depends on what shows up in their lineup. If they don't have a channel you want then you can request a lineup change, but it could take a while and there is no guarantee they will listen.

Without the channel in the lineup you can still tune it manually, but wont be able to record anything because there is no data.

Dan
Are you saying the channel at least has to show up in the channel list to record it even if it doesn't show up in your guide info because you haven't selected?

And then you are saying that even though you can view what's playing you can't record it?

Have you tested that? I don't really have the ability to easily test that scenario, but it does not seem intuitive that you can't record what the TiVo is displaying. I am not saying that isn't correct. I can't argue the point. It just seems odd.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
wtkflhn

Well, I don't know about California. But here in New Orleans, La. If I go into the channel list and check that I receive the Baton Rouge, La channels, the program data will show up and I can set program recording events.

I have an outside ant and get cable and OTA channels and have that set up in the S3's profile. (guided data)

Don H
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith1051 View Post
I am located in Southern California and can pull in stations from both San Diego and Los Angeles. But is there a way to program my Premiere for both areas? Currently I only have it setup for San Diego (because those stations are strongest) but my wife wants me to add a second antenna aimed at LA so that we can pick up the additional channels there.

I think I would have to buy a second Premiere and 'aim' it only at LA, but then we get into switching between different tuner/DVRs -- which has poor WAF.
I'm pretty sure that the TiVo only needs your area code if you're letting it use the phone to connect to the mothership and that it uses your zip code (or whatever zip code you enter during guided setup) to get an idea of your TiVo's geographical location.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
mattack

I think you'll have to just pick a zip code 'between' them.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
bsmith1051

sorry, I should have said ZIP code rather than AREA code.

If you enter a zip-code that's halfway between two cities, does Tivo allow you to pick both markets? that's what I'm trying to ask about.

@wtkflhn, is your Tivo *only* set for Baton Rouge, or can you select both New Orleans and Baton Rouge?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Dan
You should be able to do a manual record by channel, with no data info.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
Aero 1

this is how it works:

you have to pick one zip code (tv market) in order for the tivo to supply you guide data, in your case, San Diego since that's where your antenna is aimed at.

when you put up a new antenna towards LA and combine it with the antenna aimed at SD, you will have to do a channel scan on the tivo. dont confuse channel scan with guide setup by zip code.

your tivo will still be setup for the SD area and after the channel scan, it will recognize the LA channels and allow you to add them to the channel listing.

You will be able to tune to those new channels with their call signs and appear in the guide with their respective virtual numbers (ie, 4.1) but there will be no guide information for them. so in order to record those channels, you have to set manual time based recordings.

Now, here is the but:

if some SDiego channels and LA channels are on the same frequency, you will get interference and most likely cancel both channels out and wont be able to watch them. you will have to compare frequencies from both tv markets.

for example, if CBS in LA is UHF frequency 38 (virtual # 2.1) and the NBC channel in SDiego is the same UHF 38 (virtual 4.1), you will get interference even though they appear in different channel numbers in the guide.

your best bet, if its important to you to have LA channels, would be not to combine the antennas and run a separate coax to lets say your tv internal tuner. SD channels on the tivo, LA channels on the TV (with no recording capabilities) and just switch inputs.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
Arcady
Stargate Fan

When I enter a zip code for someplace in between LA and SD into Zap2it, it gives me a channel lineup with a mix of LA and SD channels, including networks for both regions. I used the zip for Camp Pendleton, which is 92055. Wouldn't the TiVo get the same lineup?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith1051 View Post

You can enter only one zip code into the TiVo, and it will download a channel list with the OTA channels that can be received in that zip code. If you can receive channels that aren't currently in the channel list, you need to notify TiVo or Tribune Media that those can in fact be received there, and they should add them.

Using a second 2-tuner Premiere would avoid the possible problems with combining two antenna signals to feed one TiVo, plus you would get two more tuners.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
You should be able to do a manual record by channel, with no data info.
Yes you can do manual recordings, but those aren't very practical in the typical usage scenario for TiVo.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
atmuscarella

In my experience, the OTA channels lists that TiVo uses are actually from a much larger area than what you are actually likely to be able to receive.

My list consists of channels from 2 countries and at least 4 cities/TV markets, the vast majority of which I can not receive with an amplified deep fringe roof top antenna.

Just for the fun of it I looked a my channel list. It has 28 core channels (not counting sub-channels) listed, I can actually receive 6 of them.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 11-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
When I enter a zip code for someplace in between LA and SD into Zap2it, it gives me a channel lineup with a mix of LA and SD channels, including networks for both regions. I used the zip for Camp Pendleton, which is 92055. Wouldn't the TiVo get the same lineup?
Yes, that's what I meant in my other reply.. The originator POSSIBLY will be able to get a lineup that meets their needs by picking a zip code halfway between.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
bsmith1051

Thank you so much for the informative replies! Hopefully after the holidays I'll have time to re-do my setup and test this :-)