TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I told you I was too lazy to Google.

mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #32
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Just saw last episode. This is my favorite new summer show. Speaking of summer, thats how long we have to wait till season 2.. wow
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #33
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
I seem to be the only one that is confused about the death of his wife. How in the hell did the daughter not know that her dying with cancer mother had been murdered? I must have missed something.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #34
Gary McCoy

The daughter was going to law school in Philidelphia until her Mother's death. Walt never shared the details of the murder with her when she returned for the funeral. She stayed in Wyoming to help her Father Walt get over her Mother's death, he went on a drinking spree.

This is one place where the TV series and the books have diverged. In the books, the daughter remained in Philidelphia after becoming a lawyer, and became collateral damage in a mob hit with a severe head wound. Walt went to Philidelphia and solved that one in book #3, then returned to Wyoming and is caring for the daughter in book #4, which is as far as I have read so far.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #35
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
The daughter was going to law school in Philidelphia until her Mother's death. Walt never shared the details of the murder with her when she returned for the funeral. She stayed in Wyoming to help her Father Walt get over her Mother's death, he went on a drinking spree.

This is one place where the TV series and the books have diverged. In the books, the daughter remained in Philidelphia after becoming a lawyer, and became collateral damage in a mob hit with a severe head wound. Walt went to Philidelphia and solved that one in book #3, then returned to Wyoming and is caring for the daughter in book #4, which is as far as I have read so far.
I am thinking about starting this book series. Is each book roughly equivalent to an episode (until they diverged)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #36
Gary McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
I am thinking about starting this book series. Is each book roughly equivalent to an episode (until they diverged)?
Not really. The only commonality that I have noticed is the plot of the last episode (season 1 episode 8) "Unfinished Business" and book #1. Both concerned four white HS boys who raped an Indian HS girl suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome, and who were found innocent by a white jury.

The fact that Walt is being opposed for re-election by a deputy is also different, as his opposition in the books is one of the County Supervisors who may or may not be corrupt.

The differrences with regard to his daughter we already discussed. Let me further remark that in both the TV series and the books, the death of the wife and whatever actions that Walt/Henry took after the murder, have not been made clear - not at least in the first four books.

The books are worth your attention IMHO, but don't expect them to have much in common except the main characters. Walt's Deputy Sheriff's are very different with the exception of Vic between books and TV series, for example.

I'm enjoying both. Craig Johnson writes sparse prose that reminds me of Robert B. Parker (author of the Spencer, Jesse Stone, Sonny Randall books).
Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 PM   #37
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

I guess that could make sense.

I would think that a daughter would be more aware of the ups and downs of her mother's illness. Like if she had a turn for the worse sickness-wise, she would be made aware and given the opportunity to come home and say goodbye. I think even with a terminal illness, she should have some warning and not just, "She's gone. Come home for the funeral."
Old 08-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #38
RonDawg

In the scene where Cady confronts Walt about the truth of her mother's death, Walt kept telling Cady that her mother "didn't want to be remembered" any other way except to die from natural causes, as if this was her dying wish.

Unless I missed something, I'm starting to wonder if maybe her mother went to someone (in Denver) for a last-hope miracle treatment which perhaps hastened her death, and that Denver PD's inability to charge him with murder was not the inability to find him (as Walt seemed to be able to) but the inability to find enough evidence to make the murder charge stick.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #39
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I was pretty sure the Denver detective said something about the mother being stabbed. Didn't he? The real question is, does the dtective mean that they found the killer alive, or found his body (because Walt killed him)?

Anyway I don't see it being the result of a quack treatment. That's not something that Cady would have been so upset about not knowing, it seems to me. In that case the mother still died from cancer, just not quite in the same way. I believe the mother's death was violent.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #40
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
The real question is, does the dtective mean that they found the killer alive, or found his body (because Walt killed him)?
They found him dead. The detective said that they found him in a shallow grave I think.

It's not clear if Walt or Henry (Lou Diamond Phillips,) or somebody else killed him.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #41
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Ah. Must have been in the part at the end where my recording cut out. I read about what happened but it doesn't stick with you like seeing it.