Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #31
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
What makes you think this?

For one thing, she finished 5th in the 200 against Felix who won with a personal best time.
For two things, she was so bitter there was no way her head would be in the game. She and her coach both knew this.

If they thought she could win she would have run.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #32
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
For one thing, she finished 5th in the 200 against Felix who won with a personal best time.
For two things, she was so bitter there was no way her head would be in the game. She and her coach both knew this.

If they thought she could win she would have run.
Leave out the sour grapes aspect for the moment.

She finished 5th in the 200 against Felix who won with a personal best time. And there was also the turmoil around having to deal with the idea of a run-off or coin toss, though the coach tried to shield them from the media as much as possible. I can see why someone might not be mentally ready even if they weren't "bitter" about the way that the whole thing was handled.

Sure, in an ideal world, the classy thing might have been for Felix to offer to bow out of the re-match and let Tarmoh run in the 100. Felix had the spot for the 200. But I agree with Jim Caple. The track federation screwed up. There should have been a rule on what to do to break ties before the Trials even started. It's unfair to call into question the sportsmanship of either of these girls when the real problem is, the federation can't find its ass with both hands.

It's better now for Tarmoh and Felix to just move on from here and focus on training for London.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #33
bryhamm
randomize

200 and 100 are different beasts from what I hear. I thought I heard somewhere that Felix is a stronger finisher, which is why she does the 200 much better.

No reason to think that she would have for sure lost in the 100.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #34
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post

Sure, in an ideal world, the classy thing might have been for Felix to offer to bow out of the re-match and let Tarmoh run in the 100. Felix had the spot for the 200.
That's ridiculous. Why should anyone ever give up their chance to compete in an Olympic event just so the someone else can have that place? It's the Olympics, not a charity. Michael Phelps will be competing in several events, should he give up some of those so someone else can have a shot?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #35
tiams

Quote:
No reason to think that she would have for sure lost in the 100.
Again, if she thought she could win she would have competed instead of quitting. Why quit if you think you can win? Probably because her agent has a scheme for a lawsuit.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #36
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Again, if she thought she could win she would have competed instead of quitting. Why quit if you think you can win? Probably because her agent has a scheme for a lawsuit.
could be (about the lawsuit).

the bolded is what I am trying to figure out. maybe you were right earlier about her mind being in it and she's already admitted to herself that she would likely lose.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #37
tiams

Quote:
could be (about the lawsuit).

the bolded is what I am trying to figure out. maybe you were right earlier about her mind being in it and she's already admitted to herself that she would likely lose.
I would be willing to bet money that a lawsuit will be filed claiming she is owed millions of dollars.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #38
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
That's ridiculous. Why should anyone ever give up their chance to compete in an Olympic event just so the someone else can have that place? It's the Olympics, not a charity. Michael Phelps will be competing in several events, should he give up some of those so someone else can have a shot?
Apparently he is giving up one of his events because of the schedule. Are you going to complain now that since he won the spot in the Trials, he should compete in that event in the Olympics or be called a coward or whatever?

You guys seem to think that these athletes are robots and they can churn out the same performance every time they run.

It looks to me like Tarmoh trained to run the 100, but also tried to get in for the 200, and running the 200 took more out of her than she expected. If Tarmoh says that she didn't have the legs to run the race last night, why should she be forced to run, to prove to you guys that she is right? Why should she and Felix have to go through all this crap because the federation screwed up?

It's not like she's not going to the Olympics at all. Okay, she whined about it, but in the end, she decided not to put her training partner through extra wear and tear so the two of them could move forward and focus on the Olympics from here. What happens next is between them. Let them go and train for the relay in peace, I say.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #39
tiams

Quote:
Apparently he is giving up one of his events because of the schedule. Are you going to complain now that since he won the spot in the Trials, he should compete in that event in the Olympics or be called a coward or whatever?
Completely different situation. He can't participate in that one event because it conflicts with his participating in the team event. He has to choose one and he chose to help the American team get a win.

Tarmoh gave up.

I predict she fumbles the baton in London.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #40
tiams

Quote:
The track federation screwed up. There should have been a rule on what to do to break ties before the Trials even started. It's unfair to call into question the sportsmanship of either of these girls when the real problem is, the federation can't find its ass with both hands.
I'm sure her lawsuit will mention all of that.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #41
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
I'm sure her lawsuit will mention all of that.
That's twice that you have mentioned a lawsuit. What grounds does she have? She was offered the chance to decide the result on the track, and chose to withdraw.

Now, if the coaches were to decide not to have her run in either the preliminary or the final of the 4x100, so she wouldn't win a medal, then maybe she can come up with a case. Note that there is nothing in the rules that says that anybody is "guaranteed" a spot in either round of the 4x100 relay. Being in fourth place in the 100 just guarantees you a spot on the Olympic team.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #42
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMerk View Post
By now aren't people in the Pacific time zone used to this? Watch online on NBC.com if it's that big of a deal.
By now aren't the people in the Rocky Mountain time zone used to being the 4th wheel?
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #43
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69

By now aren't the people in the Rocky Mountain time zone used to being the 4th wheel?
Say what you will, but our prime time starts at 7pm. It's GREAT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #44
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Central time, too.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:37 AM   #45
rifleman69

Quote:
Isn't this a TiVo forum?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #46
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Isn't this a TiVo forum?
So he gets to TiVo things AN HOUR EARLIER. Which would be AWESOME.

Some of us actually do like to watch things same-night.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #47
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
So he gets to TiVo things AN HOUR EARLIER. Which would be AWESOME.

Some of us actually do like to watch things same-night.
Just an hour? I think you might want to redo remedial math again.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #48
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman69 View Post
Just an hour? I think you might want to redo remedial math again.
I'm not making my statement in comparison to Pacific time. I'm making it in comparison to a theoretical 8 pm start time.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 AM   #49
ewolfr

We still have the east coast feeds through Directv. I love recording network prime time at 5pm and watching it right when I get home from work.
ewolfr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #50
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
I'm not making my statement in comparison to Pacific time. I'm making it in comparison to a theoretical 8 pm start time.
And you'd still be wrong. Try again.