TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
TiVo_Fanatic

Folder playlist ?

Ok, so you know when you have a a show that's got say 3 recordings in a folder because you slacked on watching them. Well, when you finally watch em you can just hit play on it from the now playing list and it rolls 1 of 3. Well, is there anyway to make a similar "playlist" of sorts for different shows so if you wana run a small marathon of sorts you don't need to go and play each one individually.

Thx.

Interested in trying to earn a free PSVita, then check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
TiVo_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
lpwcomp

No.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
TiVo_Fanatic

That sucks, was worth a shot.

Interested in trying to earn a free PSVita, then check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
out & PM me for help.
TiVo_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
bobfrank

Actually you can do this, but you'll have to do some work.

1. Download the shows to your computer.

2. Create new meta data using MetaGenerator or your program of choice. Create a common series ID for the show. For example seriesId : Playlist

Use this post for help in pushing files into one folder http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...81#post7555181. The actual series ID can be anything you want it to be.

3. Push the video files back to your Tivo using pyTivo.

You should then have all the videos in one folder on your Tivo that you can auto play the entire folder.

Bob
bobfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrank View Post
Actually you can do this, but you'll have to do some work.

1. Download the shows to your computer.

2. Create new meta data using MetaGenerator or your program of choice. Create a common series ID for the show. For example seriesId : Playlist

Use this post for help in pushing files into one folder http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...81#post7555181. The actual series ID can be anything you want it to be.

3. Push the video files back to your Tivo using pyTivo.

You should then have all the videos in one folder on your Tivo that you can auto play the entire folder.

Bob
Oh, I knew this was an option but I didn't mention it since it is way more trouble than it is worth. You also left out a couple of things:

1. the recordings have to be decrypted. This process will not work on .tivo files.

2. You loose most of the metadata.

It is is also possible to do this and keep most of the metadata if you pull them to a Premiere.

Personally, I think it would be silly to go to all of this effort just so you could play the entire folder with one press of the "Play" button, but you can do it if you want to.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #6
drkside

right on
drkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
bobfrank

lpwcomp,

It is too much trouble for you and me and probably not worth the work for almost anyone. But the question was "is there anyway to make a similar "playlist."

I wasn't aware of the need to decrypt, but VideoReDo would take care of that quickly.

The meta data can be replaced while he's using MetaGenerator to set the series id.

A lot of effort for little benefit, but is that is what he really wants it is possible.

Bob
bobfrank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
lpwcomp,

I wasn't aware of the need to decrypt, but VideoReDo would take care of that quickly.
As will tivodecode (used by the "Decrypt" step of both kmttg and pyTiVo) which, unlike VideoReDo, is free.

Quote:
The meta data can be replaced while he's using MetaGenerator to set the series id.
Yeah, but you'd have to do it file by file and override the seriesId and possibly the title. You would probably also want to add the actual Series title to the beginning of each episode title so you know which series this is actually from. That's for TV shows. For movies, you'd have to override the Title and use another method to set an episode title. You'd also have to create a default.txt file with seriesId in it.
Quote:
A lot of effort for little benefit, but is that is what he really wants it is possible.
Sorta reminds me of "Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine". They ended up doing far more work getting the data into the computer so it could do their homework for them than just doing the homework themselves would have required.

There's also the actual time required to do the semi-automatic two-way transfer (TiVo to computer and back to TiVo). Of course, if it were something I wanted to do, I'd write something to automate the entire thing, except for the actual selection of the recordings.