TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
zerophin

New Elite User, Worried about No Signal Error

Been browsing this forum for a few months now and finally pulled the trigger on an Elite last weekend to replace a very old Series 2 that was just used to record overflow since it wasn’t HD and finally kill the hated TWC DVR. Shockingly the install went smoothly (self-installed) and we thought we were in the clear but the last few days a few issues have me worried.

Primarily when switching channels on a rare occasion we’ll hit a “No Signal”, often just switching back and forth will force the channel in. Yesterday this happened in the afternoon on MSNBC and the channel didn’t come back quickly. Later in the evening a recording scheduled on MSNBC did not record due to “No Signal” (other recordings at the same time occurred.) Checking the DVR Diag. we’re finding signal strength to be north of 90 with a SnR of 35-37; one possible concern is unresolved errors show in the 4,000 – 5,000 range but are not growing and overall picture quality once tuned is as good as with the TWC box. I’m not sure if this is “typical” but it does feel channels take longer to “tune” than with the TWC box (black screen delay of 2-3 seconds before tuning.) Also had 2 “lock-ups” that I’ve shrugged off as being on the Tivo side (these don’t worry me as much.)

I’m not ready to panic yet, but would really prefer not to have to set up a redundant DVR out of fear that signal drops will continue to cause recording failures (that would be a deal-breaker.) I’m also going to “simplify” my cable routing to the DVR tonight as there is an amplifier and a splitter involved currently. Anything else I should keep an eye out on or try? Should that unresolved error count worry me? Been hesitant to reseat the cable card or call support yet as it’s been pretty isolated.

Finally haven’t seen the Spring update push yet despite forcing back-to-back connects to the service and rebooting – is the roll-out just staged such that I may not be in que yet?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
zerophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerophin View Post
Been browsing this forum for a few months now and finally pulled the trigger on an Elite last weekend to replace a very old Series 2 that was just used to record overflow since it wasn’t HD and finally kill the hated TWC DVR. Shockingly the install went smoothly (self-installed) and we thought we were in the clear but the last few days a few issues have me worried.

Primarily when switching channels on a rare occasion we’ll hit a “No Signal”, often just switching back and forth will force the channel in. Yesterday this happened in the afternoon on MSNBC and the channel didn’t come back quickly. Later in the evening a recording scheduled on MSNBC did not record due to “No Signal” (other recordings at the same time occurred.) Checking the DVR Diag. we’re finding signal strength to be north of 90 with a SnR of 35-37; one possible concern is unresolved errors show in the 4,000 – 5,000 range but are not growing and overall picture quality once tuned is as good as with the TWC box. I’m not sure if this is “typical” but it does feel channels take longer to “tune” than with the TWC box (black screen delay of 2-3 seconds before tuning.) Also had 2 “lock-ups” that I’ve shrugged off as being on the Tivo side (these don’t worry me as much.)

I’m not ready to panic yet, but would really prefer not to have to set up a redundant DVR out of fear that signal drops will continue to cause recording failures (that would be a deal-breaker.) I’m also going to “simplify” my cable routing to the DVR tonight as there is an amplifier and a splitter involved currently. Anything else I should keep an eye out on or try? Should that unresolved error count worry me? Been hesitant to reseat the cable card or call support yet as it’s been pretty isolated.

Finally haven’t seen the Spring update push yet despite forcing back-to-back connects to the service and rebooting – is the roll-out just staged such that I may not be in que yet?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Do you have a Tuning Adapter Also? May want to try rebooting that. the spring update i believe is still rolling out. Did you receive the Winter Update with the new Guide?
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
zerophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Do you have a Tuning Adapter Also? May want to try rebooting that. the spring update i believe is still rolling out. Did you receive the Winter Update with the new Guide?
Yeah I have a tuning adapter, I will reboot that too. I guess my overriding concern is that I will be stuck in a cycle of constantly re-seating cable cards and rebooting tuning adapters and that there isn't a way to stabilize it (meaning recordings will fail on a recurring basis.) The occasional hiccup is understandable and that's what I'm hoping this is.

I'm current through the Winter Update so just waiting on Spring. No issues waiting, just wasn't sure if it was a long roll-out or if I should have expected it by now
zerophin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerophin View Post
Yeah I have a tuning adapter, I will reboot that too. I guess my overriding concern is that I will be stuck in a cycle of constantly re-seating cable cards and rebooting tuning adapters and that there isn't a way to stabilize it (meaning recordings will fail on a recurring basis.) The occasional hiccup is understandable and that's what I'm hoping this is.

I'm current through the Winter Update so just waiting on Spring. No issues waiting, just wasn't sure if it was a long roll-out or if I should have expected it by now
There appears to be an issue with the TA and the Elite as noted by some users on here. People with Elites and no TA's dont appear to have issues. Who knows at this point, maybe the TA cant handle 4 streams. Just keep an eye on it and just be ready to return the elite before 30 days are up if it persists
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Teeps

My TiVo had "no signal" problems, soon after tuning adapter install; that was due to a rodent chewed RG6 cable out on the utility pole.
Time Warner replaced the drop from the pole to the house and installed a "up to code" ground path to the power service panel; all is good.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote