TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #1
TiVoEvan74

Do you get used to the 30 second scan vs. skip?

From what I've read, the 30-second skip feature, which I love to use on our Series 2, has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

What's been people's experience in transitioning from one to the other?

I'm one of those people who values clever GUIs and gets irritated by pet features being dropped. I also dislike fast forwarding, being subject to a barrage of fast images! I can see myself being distracted by the change!

Or, is there a way of resurrecting the 30-second skip on the Premieres?
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
From what I've read, the 30-second skip feature, which I love to use on our Series 2, has gone the way of the dinosaurs.

What's been people's experience in transitioning from one to the other?

I'm one of those people who values clever GUIs and gets irritated by pet features being dropped. I also dislike fast forwarding, being subject to a barrage of fast images! I can see myself being distracted by the change!

Or, is there a way of resurrecting the 30-second skip on the Premieres?
I believe the 30-second skip Easter Egg is still available on the Premiere and is activated the same way as it has always been.

In regards to your question I use the 30 second skip on my 2 Series 3 units and the 30 second scan on my Premiere. I didn't like the scan at the beginning but now have no absolute preference for one over the other. Each method (skip & scan) has advantages (or disadvantages) over the other.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
velouria28

Much like atmuscarella the 30-second scan aggravated me at first, but now I'm completely used to it.
velouria28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
moyekj

30 sec skip SPS code still works and many people are using it for Premieres. Only difference in entering SPS codes is if using HDUI you must press Select first followed by the usual SPS code (i.e. extra Select press at the beginning).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

After using the 30 second skip for almost a decade I didn't think I would like the 30 second scan. But I ended up loving it. Now I can't stand using the 30 second skip. I've enabled it on the Premiere before but couldn't stand using it. I used to love it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
After using the 30 second skip for almost a decade I didn't think I would like the 30 second scan. But I ended up loving it. Now I can't stand using the 30 second skip. I've enabled it on the Premiere before but couldn't stand using it. I used to love it.
I'm just the opposite. I can't stand the 30-sec scan. It takes too long. Here's hoping they never remove the 30-sec skip option.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
TiVoEvan74

Whew! Glad to hear that the 30-sec skip is still there.

My wife is a scan expert; I'm a skip devotee. This way, we'll both be content--plus, I can also try the new 30 sec scan. I read that there's supposed to be a feature showing a picture or indication of when the program is coming back.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
Whew! Glad to hear that the 30-sec skip is still there.

My wife is a scan expert; I'm a skip devotee. This way, we'll both be content--plus, I can also try the new 30 sec scan.
You have his and her TiVos?

Old 06-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Can't speak for anyone else, but we've had his & her TiVos for years. I have an Elite, she has an S3 with an upgraded drive. We also generally watch on our own TVs, although for shows we both love we watch on "mine". Cause it's a big one.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Can't speak for anyone else, but we've had his & her TiVos for years. I have an Elite, she has an S3 with an upgraded drive. We also generally watch on our own TVs, although for shows we both love we watch on "mine". Cause it's a big one.
When I got my first TiVo in 2002, my SO thought it was silly. 3.5 years later, I was out of town for a month long contract and the hard drive dies in one of my, by then, 3 TiVos. Rather than wait for my return when I could replace the hd, she bought another TiVo.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
innocentfreak

Count me as another who thought he wouldn't like scan but I prefer it now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
compnurd

I like scan also... this way i can see if i am about to overshoot a recording coming off commercials
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
jrm01

I have used the Skip for so long, and loved it, I just can't bring myself to even try the Scan.

I watch Jeapordy every night. When it starts it is 52 seconds to the point they introduce contestants. Skip-Skip-Replay. Final Jeapordy starts at 26:30 every night. Multiple Skips to the 26 min mark, one more Skip, watch two seconds of Alleve commercial and I'm ready.

There are 112 seconds between innings of baseball (final out to first pitch). Skip-Skip-Skip-Skip-Replay, except 7th inning stretch (add one Skip). Have to add a Skip if game is on Fox.

Just too ingrained in me.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
ShayL

I am unsure how to enable the skip on the Elite. I am using the HDUI. Do I enter SELECT SELECT PLAY SELECT 3 0 SELECT?
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Dadorama

Scan feature

One thing that I have not seen mentioned is that if you hit the scan button twice or three or four times fast, you will see the scan interval change to 60s, 90s, 2:00 and the like. So, you can make your scan period pretty much as long as you like. Not a big thing, but interesting. And yes, I am used to it now.
Dadorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadorama View Post
One thing that I have not seen mentioned is that if you hit the scan button twice or three or four times fast, you will see the scan interval change to 60s, 90s, 2:00 and the like. So, you can make your scan period pretty much as long as you like. Not a big thing, but interesting. And yes, I am used to it now.
That is one of the things I like about it. I see, on screen, how many minutes it will scan through. Up to ten minutes.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #17
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayL View Post
I am unsure how to enable the skip on the Elite. I am using the HDUI. Do I enter SELECT SELECT PLAY SELECT 3 0 SELECT?
With the most recent update, you may have to briefly switch to the SDUI to enable it via S-P-S-3-0-S. It should remain enabled when you switch back.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
ShayL

Thank you lpwcomp. I will give it a shot.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
lujan

I came from using a Dish receiver which has the skip so when I first got the Premiere, I didn't like the scan. I immediately changed it to skip and have had it that way ever since.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm01 View Post
I watch Jeapordy every night. When it starts it is 52 seconds to the point they introduce contestants. Skip-Skip-Replay. Final Jeapordy starts at 26:30 every night. Multiple Skips to the 26 min mark, one more Skip, watch two seconds of Alleve commercial and I'm ready.
Wow, Jeopardy is one of the very few shows that I purposely FF through instead of skipping, because once in a while they have an 'extra' bit (extra info about a question/location -- sort of like the ones that USUALLY happen right when they go to a break) that I FF through so as to not miss them.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
ltxi

I've never liked/used 30 sec skip. Have always preferred multi-speed, fast fwd scan.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
TiVoEvan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Nope, just different styles depending on who has the remote!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #23
leiff

I'm a new premier user. 30 sec skip is not as responsive as it was on S3 unfortunately. From what I hear it used to be even worse. Even still, 30 skip is the only way to go for me since it's often the fastest way to get through commercials.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #24
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I don't use a Premiere, but from the descriptions I've read I think I would be able to stand the 30 second scan.

The main objective is to get through commercials AFAP, but 30 second skip has the disadvantage of not being able to see what your skipping. That often results in overshoots which requires many presses of the rewind button.

I think 30 second skip has the advantage *IF* you figure out the cadence a show uses for its commercial breaks.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #25
leiff

30 sec skip works fastest in combination with 8 sec back button for fast forwarding most short commercials. For live tennis which is always 90 sec commercials 3 quick skip button works great
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

Thanks for the tips in this thread. Count me as another one who prefers the 30 second skip to the scan. I was having trouble enabling it on my new Premiere but now I see there are a few new steps. I'll give it a try after the cable guy shows up to fix the standard cable card activation issues. He's already late and hasn't called.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
jilter
Happy to be here.

We have his and hers Tivos.
I have never used the 30-second anything.
/off to try it...
Old 08-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #28
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Scan is way too slow for me, and I wish skip worked as fast as it does on the S3s.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #29
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......

I switched to SD menus and the old method to engage the 30 second skip worked. Thanks again for the tip.

I called to see where the cable guy was and he isn't coming. They are having a "widespread issue" and all appointments were cancelled for today. Of course they don't bother to inform all the people waiting for their appointments! They won't let me reschedule now because they don't know when the issue will be fixed.

It's enough to make you give up cable TV entirely.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote