TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Exavior

TiVo unable to pause on one tuner

Greetings,

I have had 2 DirectTV HD TiVos, both model THR22-100, and both have had this same problem.

From time to time, one of the tuners is unable to pause/rewind/record live TV. If you are on that tuner, you will notice no green bar indicating that anything has been recorded. If you press pause, the tuner will pause, but you are unable to resume live TV. Pressing play, fast forward, rewind, etc. all do nothing. The only way to resume watching that tuner is to hit "Live TV" to switch tuners, and then switch back.

Attempting to record any programs on that tuner will result in a blank recording that can not be played.

Starting a recording (which will fail) and then stopping the recording seems to resolve the issue. The green bar will once again start to appear from the moment you started/stopped recording, and pause/play/rewind/fast forward all work again.

I have had this same issue on 2 TiVos.

This issue happened frequently on both devices. My last DirectTV HD TiVo had to be replaced after only a few months, as many recordings contained compression artifacts and would freeze/skip.

It appears to be a software issue as it can be resolved by a series of UI steps.

Has anyone else ran into this issue, and is there a known fix?

I also have an issue where the letterbox color (also shown as the screen background color when changing channels/tuners) keeps resetting to gray every so often.

I have to say I'm really disappointed in the lack of software updates, and frequency of bugs on both of the HD TiVos I've owned.

Would be nice if these devices backed up user data (season passes, favorites, ratings, etc) to the cloud, as it is really frustrating having to start over from scratch every time a device fails and has to be replaced.
Exavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
ScottyinIN

I was just collecting a list of issues that I've had with the three DirecTV tivo units (THR22) and ran across this thread as I too have had issues when pausing or rewinding live TV. The issue I have is similar where if watching live TV and want to rewind, I am unable to and no green bar showing the current recording progress is displayed. If I pause live TV, I often times run into an issue where it will pause but I am unable to resume the playing. I have to change the channel to an alternate channel then back to the original channel to begin watching again but obviously having lost anything that was paused. I've had the above happen on all three of the DirecTV Tivo units that I have over the last year and am going to call to attempt to have them replaced.
ScottyinIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Exavior

I'm still having this issue, it's very persistant, and there appears to be no help in sight.

I honestly can't believe that it's 2013 and we have people releasing networked hardware appliances that don't frequently update their firmware to address such major (show stopper) issues.

I've lost all respect for TiVo over their lack of foresight (providing updates to resolve their many bugs) and proper QA testing (to identify and resolve such serious bugs before product ships). I've had 2 units with the same issue, and have talked to others with the same issue.

How does such a major issue make it through QA and launch?
How are they getting away without providing firmware updates?
Why do they build hardware and software like it's still 1990?
Exavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyinIN View Post
I've had the above happen on all three of the DirecTV Tivo units that I have over the last year and am going to call to attempt to have them replaced.
Why would you get them replaced when it is obviously a software flaw? New units won't fix the problem; a software update will.

Good luck with that.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
AlecG
Alec

Angry TiVo unable to pause on one tuner

Same problem here!!!

Very frustrating. At the suggestion of DirecTV tech support they shipped me a new (new to me, but probably reconditioned) THR22-100 unit. Now I'm having the same issue again. I agree with "Arcady" that it is not likely a hardware problem, it is a software/firmware problem. The only thing that replacing the unit did for me is cause me to have to reprogram all the settings/season passes etc. What a PITA!

I don't fault Tivo for having the bug/issue, as all kinds of devices (iphones etc.) have software problems from time to time. However, after reading these posts from others with the same issue, I have little doubt that TIVO/DirecTV is aware of the problem and their lack of admission or response to the issue thus far is very troubling.
AlecG is offline   Reply With Quote