TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
dannydodge

going wireless

im looking to hook up my series3 HD wirelessly to my network, ive noticed a few people talking about using aftermarket adapters on the tv, i think the official adapter they sell are WAAY over priced, i tryed search and haven't really found anything, can i pretty much use any one?
dannydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
supasta

Here is the official TiVo Support Page on the topic.
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405
(Hint without following link: ONLY the TiVo branded adapters are listed compatible)

My recommendation is an ethernet adapter. Any should work. The TiVo will behave just as if it was hard-wired. Most will work without a problem, depending on the rest of your network setup.

I am currently using an Apple Airport Express (2nd Gen), prior to that I was using a First Generation Airport Express, and before that a Linksys model.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #3
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I use a Dual-Band D-Link DAP-1522 but if you want to go cheep you should read the following postings for ideas.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...eless-network/

http://www.connectedhome.infopint.com/wireless-bridges/
http://www.connectedhome.infopint.co...-capabilities/

Here are a couple for the cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7228...dp/B005KN1YV6/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166044

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

My house was just too big for wireless. After trying for months with various configurations, I gave up and switched to MoCa. No regrets.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

A used Tivo wireless G adapter is not very expensive. I use older Linksys G routers that I pick up cheap and burn DD-WRT firmware into them. Then I can use them as bridges with lots of outlets for ethernet connections. They can also double as repeaters for your wireless signal.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
dannydodge

thanks for the great advice, didnt expect such a quick response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
link to roxwell bridge removed, cant post links yet
im actually going to order this and give it a shot, thanks!

Last edited by dannydodge : 01-08-2013 at 10:25 PM.
dannydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydodge View Post
im actually going to order this and give it a shot, thanks!
I have no idea what roxwell bridge he's talking about, but if it's a "wireless game adapter" or somesuch, it's probably VERY overpriced.

You can buy regular WiFi routers that can be used as bridges either (1) off the shelf, or (2) by installing things like ddwrt or tomato firmware. Not all can, but there are many that can.

Admittedly, after one of my routers died years ago, I ended up getting a Buffalo router that needed *two* of them to do its BUILT IN bridging capability, but even TWO of them was around $60, less than many of the well known bridges..

and routers that can be flashed are often in the $20 range at Fry's.. (Yes, I admit I was in kind of a rush to just GET IT WORKING years ago when I bought the Buffalo ones, I had previously used a ddwrt router.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I have no idea what roxwell bridge he's talking about, but if it's a "wireless game adapter" or somesuch, it's probably VERY overpriced.

You can buy regular WiFi routers that can be used as bridges either (1) off the shelf, or (2) by installing things like ddwrt or tomato firmware. Not all can, but there are many that can.

Admittedly, after one of my routers died years ago, I ended up getting a Buffalo router that needed *two* of them to do its BUILT IN bridging capability, but even TWO of them was around $60, less than many of the well known bridges..

and routers that can be flashed are often in the $20 range at Fry's.. (Yes, I admit I was in kind of a rush to just GET IT WORKING years ago when I bought the Buffalo ones, I had previously used a ddwrt router.)
Rosewill RNX-EasyN400 Wireless-N Broadband Router - $24.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833166044

I would never recommend this router as bridge if one were planning to stream to another Premiere though, But for Guide data and Netflix it should be fine.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 01-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
mattack

Well, I was able to use netflix streaming in a similar setup to my current one years ago.. over a wifi bridge setup.

that's reasonably priced though. And it does bridge to ANY other Wifi modem (not just another of the same brand) out of the box?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote