TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Comcast and Tivo

I was just setting up new Comcast service for my Mom and Dad in New Hampshire when I was told by the rep they won't be able to use their Tivo in just a few months, it will no longer be compatible with Comcast. Has this been out there, he said he just got this today, or is he just selling me on the Comcast DVR?
He said they are starting this in the Northeast, doesn't sound good for us Tivo users.
What do you all know about this.
I am 95% over the air so it won't bother me too much but I know it will a lot of you.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
gweempose

Considering the fact that TiVo is currently working with Comcast to roll out Xfinity VOD, I find this scenario to be highly unlikely. I'm guessing the Comcast rep was feeding you a load of crap.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
..I'm guessing the Comcast rep was feeding you a load of crap.
I think so too. It would be fun to call back and ask for more information regarding this, especially if you got a different person. Of course, he can back-track by saying since the information he got was new he just misunderstood.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Considering the fact that TiVo is currently working with Comcast to roll out Xfinity VOD, I find this scenario to be highly unlikely. I'm guessing the Comcast rep was feeding you a load of crap.
Comcast On Demand on TiVo is currently rolled out in several cities in the San Francisco Bay Area, and, by personal experience, is quite useable. The content is delivered over cable just like for set-top boxes, with the uplink using an Internet connection (not necessarily Comcast).
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

I just called comcast back, got a different agent and she said the email came down today as did the other agent. As of June 1st their cable cards will not be compatible with Tivo in the new England area. She didn't have any idea if this was going to expand from New England.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

I live in NH and have TiVo and as far as I know they don't have any plan on changing anything. If something were to change, we'd be the last state to get it.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Hunt View Post
I just called comcast back, got a different agent and she said the email came down today as did the other agent. As of June 1st their cable cards will not be compatible with Tivo in the new England area. She didn't have any idea if this was going to expand from New England.
So they are going to be switching to cable cards that aren't compatible with cable card devices? That's interesting and seemingly in violation of FCC rules. I don't think that's going to happen. But it is stupid and that sounds like something they'd do to me.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
andyf

It probably just means they're switching out their head end equipment. In Houston, we had to change out our Motorola CCs for SA CCs.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

All I'm doing is passing along what I was told, I figure there are people here with much better connections than mine that can find out the whole story.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Old 04-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
compnurd

I am going with line of crap or they are not reading something correctly... Comcast and Tivo are making great strides to get On Demand working, i dont see comcast doing something to shut them out of a market

may want to wait for DSL Reports to come back online and ask one of the comcast reps there
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

It is possible they are changing something but if they do they are going to have to exchange cable cards all across the board. By definition cable cards would have to be compatible with the TiVos, since they are cable card compatible devices. Comcast is required by law to provide them (and allowed by law to charge me entirely to much to do so). So the reps are either confused or Comcast is doing something that is going to be a problem for me and them.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

The fact that two of them told me the same thing leads me to believe something is going on, generally you can't get the same answer from two reps.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Old 04-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
tomhorsley

I suspect this means they are doing something like switching from Scientific Atlanta to Motorola equipment so everyone will have to swap their cable boxes. I know nothing about cable cards, but it may well be that means you'll need some different family cable card as well.

Always remember: everyone who works at a cable company is a complete idiot, so the odds are good that no one can tell you what is actually happening.

I know I got dire warnings from comcast here in Florida for months on end that I wouldn't be able to get any TV channels on my cable unless I took drastic action. What that really meant (as near as I can tell) is that they were ending analog signals and you had to have a converter or cable box after that to get TV. Of course, I already had a fully digital compatible system, which they knew because they were renting me the cable card, yet somehow it was still necessary that I get this dire and fuzzy worded warning at least once a week.

Last edited by tomhorsley : 04-19-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: fix typo
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
I know I got dire warnings from comcast here in Florida for months on end that I wouldn't be able to get any TV channels on my cable unless I took drastic action.
This. I kept getting weekly mailings from Comcast with big bold letters on the outside of the envelope, "Your cable service is changing. You must take action to keep getting your channels."

It was absolute hogwash. Just like you, it was to warn of the impending loss of analog service. They sent the same letter to everyone, including those of us who had already made the switch to all digital equipment.

Worst case scenario: change of equipment, as andyf mentioned. Required new cablecards. Easy peasy, never lost service.

Best case: They have no idea what they are saying, no action needed.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
MacQ2

+1 for hogwash.

The latest (very good) tech at my house installing a cablecard just a couple weeks ago said their own DVRs used Cablecards too internally. They are just not accessible from outside and then the cards are pre-paired to the box. This avoids the truck roll and odd nonsense problems with pairing sometimes.

So, if this tech was right, and if comcast is eliminating support for cablecards, well, goodbye DVRs.
MacQ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #16
jfalkingham

Quote:
The fact that two of them told me the same thing leads me to believe something is going on, generally you can't get the same answer from two reps.
This might be the official shutdown of the tivo software on the moto boxes. My neighbor still is using the comast/moto/tivo box, however was informed it is no longer an option on his new box they are moving him to. I can assure you, Comcast is not killing standalone tivo access, the FCC might something to say about this if it were true.

We usually get new Comcast offerings here before the rest of the country! Like the home security, any room dvr, 100mbps internet and the ill received (although better than dtv's attempt) comcast tuvo boxes. Maybe because Brian Roberts vacations here lol
1 Roamio pro
Comcast service
jfalkingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfalkingham View Post
This might be the official shutdown of the tivo software on the moto boxes.
This was going to be my guess.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
Soapm

What model Tivo? Is it an analog unit?

I know this is the premier section but that doesn't mean it's a premier.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

They didn't say anything about which boxes, they said their cablecards wouldn't work in Tivos after 6/1.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #20
janry

I recommend you post about this at the AVS "Local Info and Reception" forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=45

You should be able to find an existing thread regarding Comcast and the city your parents are in. Often Comcast representatives post to those threads.

If you get an answer over there, please let us know.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #21
seattlewendell

As someone pointed out this would be a violation of FCC rules so the agents clearly do not understand the memo.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
danjw1

Quote:
I was just setting up new Comcast service for my Mom and Dad in New Hampshire when I was told by the rep they won't be able to use their Tivo in just a few months, it will no longer be compatible with Comcast. Has this been out there, he said he just got this today, or is he just selling me on the Comcast DVR?
He said they are starting this in the Northeast, doesn't sound good for us Tivo users.
What do you all know about this.
I am 95% over the air so it won't bother me too much but I know it will a lot of you.
They are required by the FCC to support CableCard devices, and only can not do it if they have a waiver.