TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #91
s10023

so does anyone know if amazon is streaming it in the new remastered HD?

s10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #92
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
It wasn't the weekend they came out. There was a noticeable difference. They might have switched by now, but I would assume not.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #93
Peter000

Quote:

Yes, it appears so! The show now has HD banners on the graphics and looks much better.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #94
gweempose

I just checked out the first episode on both HBO GO and Amazon Prime. For some reason, the Amazon version looked better to my eyes.

(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #95
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
"Let's go home"

Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #96
johnh123

Quote:
Says 1080p now.

johnh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #97
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I see Battlestar Galactica (the original series), of all shows, is getting it "right." The new remastered blu-ray is available in a widescreen version, and in a version with both the widescreen and the 4:3!

I wish The Wire had gone that route. I would have paid extra for the "definitive" edition; but I won't pay anything for the altered version. I can live with the DVDs.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #98
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I see Battlestar Galactica (the original series), of all shows, is getting it "right." The new remastered blu-ray is available in a widescreen version, and in a version with both the widescreen and the 4:3!

I wish The Wire had gone that route. I would have paid extra for the "definitive" edition; but I won't pay anything for the altered version. I can live with the DVDs.
Perhaps I'm not a purist, but I prefer the new remastered versions of The Wire. They look fantastic in widescreen HD. The picture is so crisp and clear that I can't even imagine going back and watching them in SD now. I agree that it would have been nice to have a choice, but I think you gain a lot more than you give up.

(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #99
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Perhaps I'm not a purist, but I prefer the new remastered versions of The Wire. They look fantastic in widescreen HD. The picture is so crisp and clear that I can't even imagine going back and watching them in SD now. I agree that it would have been nice to have a choice, but I think you gain a lot more than you give up.
But if they did an HD 4:3, you would give up zero and gain everything. And my Oppo does pretty awesome upscaling, so why pay for a defective product?

Old 05-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #100
Peter000

Quote:
But if they did an HD 4:3, you would give up zero and gain everything. And my Oppo does pretty awesome upscaling, so why pay for a defective product?
I would venture to guess that most people would prefer a widescreen picture to a 4:3 picture. For me, it's irritating having the pillarboxing space on the screen. If I get more enjoyment out of the remaster, it's not a "defective product." Wink aside.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #101
Peter000

Quote:
Is there a thread to discuss the Battlestar Galactica BD release?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #102
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
If I get more enjoyment out of the remaster, it's not a "defective product." Wink aside.
Yep. And the wink acknowledges that.

It's a little odd to me that some of the people who are praising 4:3 shows being converted to 16:9 solely so it will "fill the screen" are the same ones who railed against 16:9 shows being converted to 4:3 so it would fill the screen. But hey, people are odd (and complicated). Why, I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or two of you out there who maybe once in a while think maybe I'm just a little odd!
Quote:
Is there a thread to discuss the Battlestar Galactica BD release?
Nope. It comes out tomorrow. I won't be getting it unless there's a sensational deal somewhere down the road (on the 4:3 version); I'm not that big a fan of the show.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #103
Peter000

Quote:
Yep. And the wink acknowledges that.

It's a little odd to me that some of the people who are praising 4:3 shows being converted to 16:9 solely so it will "fill the screen" are the same ones who railed against 16:9 shows being converted to 4:3 so it would fill the screen. But hey, people are odd (and complicated). Why, I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or two of you out there who maybe once in a while think maybe I'm just a little odd!
my reasoning is that ideally on a 4:3 to 16:9 conversion there's nothing lost, only picture gained on the edges. Going the other way, there's lots of picture lost on the edges sometimes important stuff, depending on how the original shot was framed.

If the 4:3 to 16:9 is simply a top/bottom crop, then of course I'd rather watch it in 4:3.

If you're REALLY a purist, you'd watch it on a CRT TV in standard definition from a DVD. Oh, and on a TV manufactured around the time the Program was aired.

Quote:
Nope. It comes out tomorrow. I won't be getting it unless there's a sensational deal somewhere down the road (on the 4:3 version); I'm not that big a fan of the show.
Fair enough. I'm hoping it's remastered so the PQ is better... I have a DVD set that's pretty grainy.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #104
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
my reasoning is that ideally on a 4:3 to 16:9 conversion there's nothing lost, only picture gained on the edges. Going the other way, there's lots of picture lost on the edges sometimes important stuff, depending on how the original shot was framed.
In this case, some is cropped from the top and bottom, and some is added to the sides (which wasn't meant to be there in the first place). It was shot open matte (1.66:1), which is roughly halfway between 4:3 and 16:9.

I have to admit, I'm unusually sensitive to this kind of thing. There have been times in theaters where movies are ruined for me because they overdid the overscan (there's always a little, so there won't be bright strips around the picture; a good projectionist will size it so there's only a tiny little bit of overscan, but when there's too much it really throws off the composition for me). I stopped going to one theater when it happened one time too many there. So I have a feeling that watching The Wire when it's cropped and expanded away from the originally-designed image would probably look like driving spikes through my eyeballs. Babylon 5 has similar effect on me; they did what the Wire people did in trying to protect the open matte image for both 4:3 and 16:9. But they ended up either with a soft, vague composition, or one that was designed for 4:3 and ended up with faces cropped at the chin, etc, when shown 16:9. I suffer through the B5 DVDs because they're all that there is, but I think JMS's forward-thinking experiment was an abject failure.

I admit to being a bit unusual in that regard.
Quote:
Fair enough. I'm hoping it's remastered so the PQ is better... I have a DVD set that's pretty grainy.
Apparently it is.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #105
markb

Quote:
In this case, some is cropped from the top and bottom, and some is added to the sides (which wasn't meant to be there in the first place). It was shot open matte (1.66:1), which is roughly halfway between 4:3 and 16:9.
That doesn't completely describe what was done to The Wire. They evaluated each shot separately, when deciding what to do. This link has been posted before, but it's a much better description of how the The Wire was altered:

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #106
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
That doesn't completely describe what was done to The Wire. They evaluated each shot separately, when deciding what to do. This link has been posted before, but it's a much better description of how the The Wire was altered:

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/
Nevertheless, something is lost somewhere, and it takes it away from the way the shot was composed.

Now, there are places where by serendipity they end up with a better frame. But for the most part, I'm willing to bet that The Wire was filmed by highly-skilled directors who new exactly what they were doing when they framed their shots, and what they were doing is necessarily reduced when that shot is altered.