TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2015, 10:51 AM   #91
s10023
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 76
so does anyone know if amazon is streaming it in the new remastered HD?

s10023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:07 AM   #92
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 15,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
so does anyone know if amazon is streaming it in the new remastered HD?
It wasn't the weekend they came out. There was a noticeable difference. They might have switched by now, but I would assume not.

TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #93
Peter000
Registered User
 
Peter000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Red Wing, MN
Posts: 18,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
so does anyone know if amazon is streaming it in the new remastered HD?

Yes, it appears so! The show now has HD banners on the graphics and looks much better.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #94
gweempose
Registered User
 
gweempose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 2,064
I just checked out the first episode on both HBO GO and Amazon Prime. For some reason, the Amazon version looked better to my eyes.

__________________
(1) Roamio Pro
(1) Premiere XL4
(1) Premiere XL
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #95
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 8,612
TC CLUB MEMBER
"Let's go home"


__________________
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #96
johnh123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Over there
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10023 View Post
so does anyone know if amazon is streaming it in the new remastered HD?
Says 1080p now.

johnh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #97
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 33,858
I see Battlestar Galactica (the original series), of all shows, is getting it "right." The new remastered blu-ray is available in a widescreen version, and in a version with both the widescreen and the 4:3!

I wish The Wire had gone that route. I would have paid extra for the "definitive" edition; but I won't pay anything for the altered version. I can live with the DVDs.

__________________
“There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you.”—The Doctor
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #98
gweempose
Registered User
 
gweempose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I see Battlestar Galactica (the original series), of all shows, is getting it "right." The new remastered blu-ray is available in a widescreen version, and in a version with both the widescreen and the 4:3!

I wish The Wire had gone that route. I would have paid extra for the "definitive" edition; but I won't pay anything for the altered version. I can live with the DVDs.
Perhaps I'm not a purist, but I prefer the new remastered versions of The Wire. They look fantastic in widescreen HD. The picture is so crisp and clear that I can't even imagine going back and watching them in SD now. I agree that it would have been nice to have a choice, but I think you gain a lot more than you give up.

__________________
(1) Roamio Pro
(1) Premiere XL4
(1) Premiere XL
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #99
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 33,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Perhaps I'm not a purist, but I prefer the new remastered versions of The Wire. They look fantastic in widescreen HD. The picture is so crisp and clear that I can't even imagine going back and watching them in SD now. I agree that it would have been nice to have a choice, but I think you gain a lot more than you give up.
But if they did an HD 4:3, you would give up zero and gain everything. And my Oppo does pretty awesome upscaling, so why pay for a defective product?

__________________
“There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you.”—The Doctor
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #100
Peter000
Registered User
 
Peter000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Red Wing, MN
Posts: 18,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But if they did an HD 4:3, you would give up zero and gain everything. And my Oppo does pretty awesome upscaling, so why pay for a defective product?
I would venture to guess that most people would prefer a widescreen picture to a 4:3 picture. For me, it's irritating having the pillarboxing space on the screen. If I get more enjoyment out of the remaster, it's not a "defective product." Wink aside.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #101
Peter000
Registered User
 
Peter000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Red Wing, MN
Posts: 18,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I see Battlestar Galactica (the original series), of all shows, is getting it "right." The new remastered blu-ray is available in a widescreen version, and in a version with both the widescreen and the 4:3!
Is there a thread to discuss the Battlestar Galactica BD release?

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #102
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 33,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
If I get more enjoyment out of the remaster, it's not a "defective product." Wink aside.
Yep. And the wink acknowledges that.

It's a little odd to me that some of the people who are praising 4:3 shows being converted to 16:9 solely so it will "fill the screen" are the same ones who railed against 16:9 shows being converted to 4:3 so it would fill the screen. But hey, people are odd (and complicated). Why, I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or two of you out there who maybe once in a while think maybe I'm just a little odd!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Is there a thread to discuss the Battlestar Galactica BD release?
Nope. It comes out tomorrow. I won't be getting it unless there's a sensational deal somewhere down the road (on the 4:3 version); I'm not that big a fan of the show.

__________________
“There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you.”—The Doctor
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:15 PM   #103
Peter000
Registered User
 
Peter000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Red Wing, MN
Posts: 18,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yep. And the wink acknowledges that.

It's a little odd to me that some of the people who are praising 4:3 shows being converted to 16:9 solely so it will "fill the screen" are the same ones who railed against 16:9 shows being converted to 4:3 so it would fill the screen. But hey, people are odd (and complicated). Why, I wouldn't be surprised if there were one or two of you out there who maybe once in a while think maybe I'm just a little odd!
my reasoning is that ideally on a 4:3 to 16:9 conversion there's nothing lost, only picture gained on the edges. Going the other way, there's lots of picture lost on the edges sometimes important stuff, depending on how the original shot was framed.

If the 4:3 to 16:9 is simply a top/bottom crop, then of course I'd rather watch it in 4:3.

If you're REALLY a purist, you'd watch it on a CRT TV in standard definition from a DVD. Oh, and on a TV manufactured around the time the Program was aired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Nope. It comes out tomorrow. I won't be getting it unless there's a sensational deal somewhere down the road (on the 4:3 version); I'm not that big a fan of the show.
Fair enough. I'm hoping it's remastered so the PQ is better... I have a DVD set that's pretty grainy.

Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #104
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 33,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
my reasoning is that ideally on a 4:3 to 16:9 conversion there's nothing lost, only picture gained on the edges. Going the other way, there's lots of picture lost on the edges sometimes important stuff, depending on how the original shot was framed.
In this case, some is cropped from the top and bottom, and some is added to the sides (which wasn't meant to be there in the first place). It was shot open matte (1.66:1), which is roughly halfway between 4:3 and 16:9.

I have to admit, I'm unusually sensitive to this kind of thing. There have been times in theaters where movies are ruined for me because they overdid the overscan (there's always a little, so there won't be bright strips around the picture; a good projectionist will size it so there's only a tiny little bit of overscan, but when there's too much it really throws off the composition for me). I stopped going to one theater when it happened one time too many there. So I have a feeling that watching The Wire when it's cropped and expanded away from the originally-designed image would probably look like driving spikes through my eyeballs. Babylon 5 has similar effect on me; they did what the Wire people did in trying to protect the open matte image for both 4:3 and 16:9. But they ended up either with a soft, vague composition, or one that was designed for 4:3 and ended up with faces cropped at the chin, etc, when shown 16:9. I suffer through the B5 DVDs because they're all that there is, but I think JMS's forward-thinking experiment was an abject failure.

I admit to being a bit unusual in that regard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Fair enough. I'm hoping it's remastered so the PQ is better... I have a DVD set that's pretty grainy.
Apparently it is.

__________________
“There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you.”—The Doctor
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #105
markb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
In this case, some is cropped from the top and bottom, and some is added to the sides (which wasn't meant to be there in the first place). It was shot open matte (1.66:1), which is roughly halfway between 4:3 and 16:9.
That doesn't completely describe what was done to The Wire. They evaluated each shot separately, when deciding what to do. This link has been posted before, but it's a much better description of how the The Wire was altered:

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/

markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #106
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 33,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb View Post
That doesn't completely describe what was done to The Wire. They evaluated each shot separately, when deciding what to do. This link has been posted before, but it's a much better description of how the The Wire was altered:

http://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/
Nevertheless, something is lost somewhere, and it takes it away from the way the shot was composed.

Now, there are places where by serendipity they end up with a better frame. But for the most part, I'm willing to bet that The Wire was filmed by highly-skilled directors who new exactly what they were doing when they framed their shots, and what they were doing is necessarily reduced when that shot is altered.

__________________
“There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you.”—The Doctor
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump







Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Advertisements





TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media


(C) 2015 DBNet - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.
Page generated in 0.09295106 seconds (84.12% PHP - 15.88% MySQL) with 18 queries