TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
skruggie

Charter self install cable cards

I just got off the phone with Charter and they told me that they no longer do professional installation of cable cards, and that I can pick them up at the office when I return their dvr box.

Is there anything I should be aware of regarding steps I need to take regarding installation for my premiere? I'm anticipating the worst in regards to this set up - is it more complicated than popping in the card and running through the on screen setup?

If there is any where online that I can find instructions for dummies, that would probably be the most helpful. I didn't find Charter's website to be particularly useful in this regard.
skruggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's relatively simple. Once you put the card into the TiVo it will popup a black screen with a bunch of numbers on it and a line along the bottom that says something like "this screen is displayed on behalf of your cable provider". Don't exit that screen! Call Charter and say "cable card install" into the automated system. When someone gets on the line they will ask you for a few of the numbers on that screen and a few minutes later all your channels should start working.

If your area requires a tuning adapter then you'll need to split the cable coming from the wall and run one end to the TA and the other to the TiVo. (don't use pass through port on TA!), then connect the TA to the TiVo via USB cable.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If your area requires a tuning adapter then you'll need to split the cable coming from the wall and run one end to the TA and the other to the TiVo. (don't use pass through port on TA!), then connect the TA to the TiVo via USB cable.

Dan
I recommend using the RF pass-thru if it is a Cisco Tuning Adapter and you are not using a MoCA adapter, especially if your signal levels are a bit low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
skruggie

this

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I recommend using the RF pass-thru if it is a Cisco Tuning Adapter and you are not using a MoCA adapter, especially if your signal levels are a bit low.
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Dan
Is relatively in a foreign language for me. Is there any way to dummy this down a bit? I always used the IR blaster in the past and this is all new.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

See the following, Charter recommends using a splitter. I do not if you have a Cisco Tuning Adapter.
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Cus...px?MenuItem=79

Motorola Tuning Adapter
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Cus...otuningadapter

Cisco Tuning Adapter
http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Cus...otuningadapter

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
skruggie

I just got off the phone with Charter - I'm going to have them do the installation, its well worth the $30 to not have to deal with any of this, and for everything to just work properly, plus not having to go to their location to return my equipment.

problem solved

Last edited by skruggie : 01-17-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

In most areas you'll need a tuning adapter. They'll give you one along with the CableCARD if it's required.

Basically it's a small box with two connections. A standard RF connection (i.e. coax) and a USB connection. You have to connect the RF connector to the cable coming from the wall and the USB connector to the TiVo. Most TAs also have a pass through port which is a second RF connector. The intention is to allow you to connect the cable from the wall to the TA and then connect the pass through port to the back of your TiVo. However the pass through port on the Motorola TAs is terrible and will degrade the signal so your TiVo wont actually be able to tune your channels properly. So instead what you need to do is get a 2 way splitter. Connect that to the cable coming from the wall, then connect one output from the splitter to the TA and the other to the TiVo. It's basically a Y. Cable from the wall goes in the bottom and two cables come out, one for the TA and one for the TiVo.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote