TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
sbiller

TiVo iPad App Tells You “What To Watch”

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-01/...what-to-watch/
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

I've never used the iPad app to find new shows. I've used it to schedule shows I was specifically looking for and I've used it to watch my Stream, but I've never just sifted through it looking for something new to watch. But then again I don't really do that on my TiVo either. Although I did use that "new shows" collection at the start of the season to record the new stuff, most of which was crap and got deleted.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I've never used the iPad app to find new shows. I've used it to schedule shows I was specifically looking for and I've used it to watch my Stream, but I've never just sifted through it looking for something new to watch. But then again I don't really do that on my TiVo either. Although I did use that "new shows" collection at the start of the season to record the new stuff, most of which was crap and got deleted.

Dan
TiVo has been hinting for quite some time that they are looking at ways to improve TiVo Suggestions which is a bit old and not very relevant. I think this will continue to evolve but much of their competition is claiming similar capabilities.

At last Tuesday's Citi Global Internet, Media & Telecommunications Conference, one of the first things that Tom Rogers highlighted was content curation.

Quote:
They think about actors, they think about Stars, maybe Sundance and other film festivals. Yet the vast majority of 100 mn plus television viewers can't go up to their set top and get content on that basis. We brought to the table the normal ways people relate to the television world. That's basis TiVo functionality. Many ways we are expanding this to a multi-device world. All forms of content, linear, OTT, on Demand can be accessed regardless of the source. What we look to do. What really matters to a viewer. What curating, what filtering would make that experience that much sharper. You want to know what your friends care about, you want to know what your friends are immediately watching, your family members. Various pieces of data that need to be brought into the system to really perfect the issue... make truly relevant and customization. Many things coming that we think will further perfect this approach.

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
moyekj

From the Zatz article:
Quote:
And the hold up may have partially been related to effectively securing content on that platform, with TiVo now in a better place given current levels Android 4.0+ penetration.
Big . Don't know why TiVo is so anti-3rd party development... I'm hoping that means encrypting content copied from TiVo which MSOs and CableLabs will insist on, not trying to further lock down the RPC protocol which has opened up a lot of good features to 3rd parties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I've never used the iPad app to find new shows. But then again I don't really do that on my TiVo either.
Same here. I never browse the Collections or anything like that. I don't need the TiVo (or app) to tell me what to watch, I know what I want to watch because I've already TiVo'ed it.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
TiVo has been hinting for quite some time that they are looking at ways to improve TiVo Suggestions which is a bit old and not very relevant.
The only thig I find irrelevant is that statement. Actually, that's not true. It is relevant that something is old because if it is old, it is almost certainly good. Most of that which is new is total crap and will soon fall by the wayside. Most things which are good, and for the most part only that which is good sticks around. TiVo Suggestions works very well for me, indeed. I certainly would not want them monkeying around with it and destroying its usefulness like they did the filtered index search on the Premiere.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
davezatz
Funkadelic

I know I can do without TiVo Collections and Tim Tebow's recommendations, including his documentary. The trending is very interesting to me and that's the only reason I use the Verizon app over TiVo's - for live TV discovery. However, Season Pass management via tablet is so the way to go.

Here's what the new iPad app homescreen will look like come this spring.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
I know I can do without TiVo Collections and Tim Tebow's recommendations, including his documentary. The trending is very interesting to me and that's the only reason I use the Verizon app over TiVo's - for live TV discovery. However, Season Pass management via tablet is so the way to go.

Here's what the new iPad app homescreen will look like come this spring.

Dave will it be specific to the type of service you have? I'm OTA only.
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
Dave will it be specific to the type of service you have? I'm OTA only.
I would hope so, but can't say definitively as I don't have a whole lot of detail beyond what I posted.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
However, Season Pass management via tablet is so the way to go.
I still prefer KMTTG over the app, but I have a computer in every room so it is easy for me to sit at a desk and manage my season passes while watching TV. The problem I have with the App is I don't know when anything is on so managing conflicts is almost impossible without looking at some form of a guide. Whenever I use KMTTG, I run half the screen with KMTTG and the other half with the guide. I also usually have a background window of thefutoncritic.com/listings in the background to catch any new shows in the next two weeks.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
From the Zatz article:
Big . Don't know why TiVo is so anti-3rd party development... I'm hoping that means encrypting content copied from TiVo which MSOs and CableLabs will insist on, not trying to further lock down the RPC protocol which has opened up a lot of good features to 3rd parties.
The Stream uses encrypted HLS to protect the video. Android 4.0 was the first version to support encrypted HLS which is why the Stream functionality will be limited to 4.0+. I don't think this has anything to do with the RPC protocol.

Dan
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I still prefer KMTTG over the app, but I have a computer in every room so it is easy for me to sit at a desk and manage my season passes while watching TV. The problem I have with the App is I don't know when anything is on so managing conflicts is almost impossible without looking at some form of a guide. Whenever I use KMTTG, I run half the screen with KMTTG and the other half with the guide. I also usually have a background window of thefutoncritic.com/listings in the background to catch any new shows in the next two weeks.
Just get a 4 tuner TiVo. With my Elite My SPs are all out of whack and I never have any conflicts. The only time I've even seen the conflict message is when I turned overlap protection off and then tried to pad everything by 1 minute so I could stop missing that little end bit.

Dan
Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
innocentfreak

Quote:
Just get a 4 tuner TiVo. With my Elite My SPs are all out of whack and I never have any conflicts. The only time I've even seen the conflict message is when I turned overlap protection off and then tried to pad everything by 1 minute so I could stop missing that little end bit.

Dan
I see them all the time but I have an insane number of season passes. I worry more about the Prime Time shows that don't rerun.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote