TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
vastman

DirecTV knows their TiVo DVR is faulty. Won't replace it though.

Like many TiVo fans, I held off on switching to DirecTV until the announcement was made that they would be releasing a new TiVo box. I was thrilled to get out of our high monthly payments to Comcast and called DirecTV right away.

I was told I could get an HD DVR for $99. The customer service rep sounded surprised that I wanted instead to pay an $100 for their new TiVo DVR. It also ended up being $5 more per month for the TiVo service, something they didn't tell me, but I figured was worth it once I found out.

Well, since then, like many, many others with the THR 22-100, I have had consistent problems with it from the onset. Aside its internal clock being behind 30 seconds on every channel (resetting doesn't fix it), the biggest issue is the frequent stuttering and pausing. If you're watching a sitcom you're going to miss the punchline. If it's drama, you'll miss important dialog. Forget about enjoying a musical performance.

So, in when I called in April after many months of tolerating this, the guy was super nice and told me that it was probably just a hard drive problem. He also nicely told me that this was the first time he had heard of the problem but that they were relatively new. They sent me a new one free of charge with a return label so I could send the old one back with no additional cost to me. Very good customer service.

Then the new one came and it was exactly the same - stuttering, skipping and pausing. So I put off calling them for a long time. Too long apparently because when I finally called today I was told they knew about the problem and would not replace it.

So they DO know that their crappy equipment isn't working correctly! They told me there was no point in replacing it because the replacement would likely be the same way. They said it is a software problem, not a hardware one. They are writing a new program to try to fix the software problem, but there is no time frame. The woman I talked to rudely said "I am telling you that there is no time frame, which means it could be today or tomorrow or next week." I replied with "Or next year."

When I heard all of this I asked just to be "downgraded" to a the standard DVR (which in my opinion I should be paid $99 to do since the faulty THR 22-100 was $100 more). After getting the run around and being placed on hold for several minutes, I was told that it would cost $49 for a technician to come out and hook it up (as though the customer is not capable of plugging in a glorified VCR) and $20 in shipping. Last time it was a simple transaction: they ate the shipping costs and sent it to me to install myself. But now I'm told that is an impossibility.

This isn't customer service. I'm not sure what it is, but the people at DirecTV clearly do not care about servicing their customers. I would get rid of DirecTV in a heartbeat if it weren't for the over $300 in early termination fees I would have to pay.

So the bottom line for those of you who have this equipment is that they know it's broken and are working on fixing it. The bottom line for those who are considering switching to DirecTV is DON'T.
vastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

I suspect something else is wrong with your dish, cables or grounding. This is hardly a widespread problem. We actually see very few posts here, at DBSTalk or in the DirecTV Support Forum about problems with the THR22.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
frankygamer

No SW updates in since the box release 8+ months ago means

1 - The THR22 is the first perfect DVR out of the box

2 - The THR22 is the least supported DVR by DirecTV

Now that baseball is over (for me anyway) the DirecTV boxes are going back. I've been transitioning to a XL4 with TiVo stream and am much happier. DirecTV is worth the hassle anymore for me.
frankygamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I do agree it seems odd that there have been no software updates to the THR22, but then again it is emblematic of the "minimal possible effort" the THR22 reflects.

I did find that my THR22 is more sensitive to signal issues than my HR21. There is a method that DirecTV can tell you to have the THR22 run a special diagnostic and upload results to them. When I did this they said I had a signal issue, even though the signals were all in the 90s. A tech came out and replaced my dish and it has been pretty good since then (no stuttering, but some occasional odd behavior otherwise.)