TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #181
JimPa
S3 owner/user

Does anyone have any further information on the Tivo mentioned in this link?

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-05/...shadowed-2013/
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #182
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Can a mini access network resources like pytivo shares and HME apps?
pyTivo shares would be a no. Remember pyTivo is HMO and copies programs (in either push or pull mode), so since Mini doesn't have a hard drive (and likely not much storage other than for the OS) it can't do that. Won't work with streambaby either since that also buffers the stream to TiVo as well (I would think for streambaby you could probably start the app and browse folders, but it would fail when attempting to start streaming a video). I would imagine it should work for things like the Flash based YouTube & Netflix apps though which don't buffer stream.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #183
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
... Won't work with streambaby either since that also buffers the stream to TiVo as well (I would think for streambaby you could probably start the app and browse folders, but it would fail when attempting to start streaming a video). I would imagine it should work for things like the Flash based YouTube & Netflix apps though which don't buffer stream.
by "buffer" are you talking about a particular size?

I'm not following- doesn't ANYTHING that streams buffer some amount of data to deal with network hiccups or the like?

So if youtube and netflix (that both buffer- they even give messages sometimes about 'buffering')- why would the need for a buffer in streambaby matter?

somewhere I even though someone posted it will have 2GB memory with some amount (after deducting for the OS install) available to buffer. But i suppose i may have misread.

And again to deal with network hiccups wouldn't even premiere to mini streaming even need some amount of buffer?

Is it that streambaby builds a really large buffer that would be more than the (something less than) 2 GB available?

(I suspect it wont work either but more because Tivo wont bother completing the software to allow most 3rd party apps to work- rather than a lack of buffer).
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #184
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
somewhere I even though someone posted it will have 2GB memory with some amount (after deducting for the OS install) available to buffer. But i suppose i may have misread.

And again to deal with network hiccups wouldn't even premiere to mini streaming even need some amount of buffer?

Is it that streambaby builds a really large buffer that would be more than the (something less than) 2 GB available?
You didn't correctly interpret the 2GB reference. That was non-volatile storage (probably a flash drive of some sort). Buffering would be done in non-volatile RAM. However, your point still stands. I personally don't know how streambaby works. If it is truly just a stream that works with code that exists in the tivo, then if the mini has the code then it would probably work there as well.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #185
moyekj

Streambaby is not a stream. It actually saves content up to 1.1GB in size to the hard drive, so it's actually a copy residing on your TiVo. Only difference vs download is there is no entry saved to My Shows when you terminate the "stream". It works same way as the old HME based YouTube app that series 3 TiVos use which saves the entire stream to your TiVo. You can rew during playback and have instant access to what was already saved without having to re-stream that portion of the show. The play bar shows full show available when stream finishes.

True streaming solutions such as Netflix do have a small buffer for handling temporary network glitches, but probably on the order of a few MB, not GB since there are clients on devices with very minimal storage capability.

Last edited by moyekj : 01-16-2013 at 07:54 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #186
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Streambaby is not a stream. It actually saves content up to 1.1GB in size to the hard drive, so it's actually a copy residing on your TiVo. Only difference vs download is there is no entry saved to My Shows when you terminate the "stream". It works same way as the old HME based YouTube app that series 3 TiVos use which saves the entire stream to your TiVo. You can rew during playback and have instant access to what was already saved without having to re-stream that portion of the show. The play bar shows full show available when stream finishes.

True streaming solutions such as Netflix do have a small buffer for handling temporary network glitches, but probably on the order of a few MB, not GB since there are clients on devices with very minimal storage capability.

ahhhh- thanks for explaining to the clueless.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote