TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
SRHookEm

TIVO vs Xfinity DVR in Houston. Why stay with TIVO?

I have two TIVO units, a Premier and a Series 3. I am currently paying $32 per month for the TIVO service. My wife is on me about dropping the service and going to XFinity's DVR's.

I have to say---I'm considering it! They have the On Demand that I can't get. And they have programming from iPad/Phone/Computer that I love with TIVO. The rental for two DVR's would be far less than I am paying now.

We do use Netflix with the TIVO service. I don't know if I can still get that with XFinity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
SRHookEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Have you used a comcast dvr? It will cut your lifespan from the aggravation. Tried it prior to getting my premiere. Missed shows, uneven/unintuitive interface, slow to get around, no links to home PC, and small storage space were my major complaints.

In a major market, you will probably get on-demand at some point with the premiere.

No netflix with comast box.

Think longer term savings- get lifetime. Your old unit may end up qualifying for $99 lifetime if you threaten to cancel. search it.

Double check their DVR pricing, into offer? Including all of the charges? I remember they were quoting me incremental charges over their own box rental, so it appeared cheaper than it was compared to Tivo.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHookEm View Post
The rental for two DVR's would be far less than I am paying now.
Are you sure about that? The price schedule I have from Comcast shows the DVR cost at $16.95 each, effective June 1, 2012.

Also, what pricing plans are you on that cost $32? Current rates are $14.99 for the first Tivo and $12.99 for each additional.

Last edited by WhiskeyTango : 08-17-2012 at 04:45 PM.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
SRHookEm

I pay $19.99 for the Premier, 9.99 for the other plus tax. It totals $32.85.
Comcast also is charging $18 for cable cards
Old 08-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
You might want to complain about that because, again, according to their price schedule, the first is free and the second is $1.15
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
I pay $19.99 for the Premier, 9.99 for the other plus tax. It totals $32.85.
Thought I saw that Tivo is advertising that their current monthly plan for Premieres has dropped to $14.95. Wouldn't hurt to call.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
SRHookEm

OK, got a $99 lifetime for my HD DVR and 12.99/mo for the premier. Comcast also credited my account back almost two years of incorrect pricing! The cable cards should be free for #1, and $1.50 for each additional. Score!
Old 08-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
ajwees41

you will need a premier or newer to get ondemand.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Think longer term savings- get lifetime. Your old unit may end up qualifying for $99 lifetime if you threaten to cancel. search it.

Double check their DVR pricing, into offer? Including all of the charges? I remember they were quoting me incremental charges over their own box rental, so it appeared cheaper than it was compared to Tivo.
This was me a few years ago.

I paid over $700 to rent a Comcast DVR which stopped working properly. I didn't want to lose all of the recordings that couldn't be off-loaded (even though they were not protected and Comcast told me that off-loading would be possible "soon"). I offered to just hang on to the failing DVR at a drastically reduced rental rate but Comcast said, "no", and offered to replace it.

I created a spreadsheet and found that the cost of a TiVo -- not even lifetime, is cheaper after a couple of years. Lifetime is better if you can get the $99 deal. With all of the streaming opportunities, I don't see paying over $10/month to rent a DVR anymore
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
kellyjcook

Quote:
OK, got a $99 lifetime for my HD DVR and 12.99/mo for the premier. Comcast also credited my account back almost two years of incorrect pricing! The cable cards should be free for #1, and $1.50 for each additional. Score!
Soooooo....how did you pull this off? This is definately not how the pricing works. The useless CSR I talked to would not budge - said the $1.99 cost was for basic outlet cost and did not cover a CableCard. The CableCard cost was covered in the "digital reciever" cost of $9.25, but we get a $2.50 discount per outlet for having our own equipment - which is what my bill reflects.
kellyjcook is offline   Reply With Quote