TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Hustiniano

Automatic switch to HD if available

Hi
Just fired up my new VM TiVo having had ten years of great TiVo S1!

Two Quick questions

1> can you change the order that your favourite channels are displayed to you? I want the 5 main channels in hd listed in order at the top of my favourites list and that is not how they currently show.

2) - is there a setting to get it to record in HD if the programme is being broadcast in HD? So if I select a program to record in the guide on bbc1 and it is also being shown in hd, I want TiVo to default to the hd broadcast

Thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Tony Hoyle
Geek

1) no.
2) no, although as before a series link will always record from the channel that it's set to. Wishlists are a bit more random.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
Hustiniano

Oh that's a shame. Even my parents cheap tvonics freeview dvr box lets you do these things! Hopefully the hd v SD thing will get better as hd ecomes he default. Is there somewhere to leave suggestions for vm?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Zaichik

I don't really understand why they have separate SD and HD channels. Even my crappy old CRT TV will display an HD channel on TiVo (at lower res, obviously).
Zaichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
ColinYounger
It wasn't me.

Something that may help: after pressing Guide, press the blue button and select the HD category - you'll only get the HD channels then. Which means that any series links you set up from the guide are automatically HD too.

The setting isn't sticky, so after a while you'll have to do the Blue>HD thing again when you go into the guide. But it's no big deal.
ColinYounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
OzSat
Very Nice Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Hoyle View Post
1) no.
2) no, although as before a series link will always record from the channel that it's set to. Wishlists are a bit more random.
You can set wishlists to record HD only.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Hustiniano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaichik View Post
I don't really understand why they have separate SD and HD channels. Even my crappy old CRT TV will display an HD channel on TiVo (at lower res, obviously).
I agree - it will be much simpler when the SD broadcasts for BBC1,2 ITV, C4 and C5 are dropped. Once the digital switchover is completed will that be the next thing that happens?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Hustiniano

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzSat View Post
You can set wishlists to record HD only.
Thanks Tony and Oz
It is certainly helpful to know setting wishlists and series links from looking at the HD channel in the Guide, will always then record HD.

Shame we cannot order the favourites list so that my favourtite favourites are at the top and in "normal" order (bbc1 then 2 then itv then c4 then c5 etc).

Perhaps this might be an improvement offered in a software update? Or is it something that is technically not possible, do you think?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
SNJpage1

I have Comcast and they have some networks on three different channels. They have the SD version of ABC and then they have Two channels that have the HD ver of ABC. I went into the set up and unchecked the SD ver channels and also one of the HD channels. That way ABC only appears on one channel in the guide and that is the HD one.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #10
OzSat
Very Nice Moderator

On the old Series 1 TiVo in the UK you could uncheck the channels you got but didn't want - preventing wishlists etc. from searching them.

But the uncheck option is disabled on the VirginMedia TiVo so you can not avoid unwanted channels.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaichik View Post
I don't really understand why they have separate SD and HD channels.
It's because BBC HD and ITV HD are not fully regionalised like the SD versions.

Look what happens at news time - BBC HD shows a very annoying red screen saying "turn to your regional SD channel":

If you happened to be tuned to BBC1 SD at that time, you'd just be watching your regional news.

I'm not sure why there isn't a red button functionality on that screen to quickly jump to BBC1 ?

Last edited by mikerr : 04-23-2012 at 04:25 PM.
mikerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Zaichik

I guess that explains why for channels with regional variations, but there are lots of Sky channels where having separate SD and HD channels just seems pointless.
Zaichik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
mikerr
TiVoCentral.co.uk

As for other channels with SD and HD versions, on DVB-T (freeview) many/most SD boxes can't view an HD channel, so that's why they're separate.

VM doesn't create or own the channels, they just buy them in ....

I suppose VM could drop the SD versions of those if all their end user equipment is capable of decoding HD ( can the ancient pace boxes ?), but they wouldn't be allowed to change the name of a channel (e4 HD would still be e4 HD).
Old 04-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
dannylau

Many V+ owners record from the SD channels to save disk space
dannylau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #15
browellm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerr View Post
It's because BBC HD and ITV HD are not fully regionalised like the SD versions.

Look what happens at news time - BBC HD shows a very annoying red screen saying "turn to your regional SD channel":

If you happened to be tuned to BBC1 SD at that time, you'd just be watching your regional news.

I'm not sure why there isn't a red button functionality on that screen to quickly jump to BBC1 ?
I would rather sit and watch that than regional news.
browellm is offline   Reply With Quote