TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Doggie Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 229
Deception "Pilot" OAD 1/7/13

Hmm, not a good sign that there's no thread over a week since "Deception" premiered. . . .

I should note upfront that I passed on "Revenge," a decision I was regretting after the first season, but maybe it was for the best given some of the reviews I've read about the second season. Anyway, I realize that there are some similarities between the two shows, but I can't make any comparisons since I haven't watched "Revenge."

With that in mind, I liked the pilot episode. The Bower family dynamics seemed a bit trite, but Victor Garber is always a pleasure to see on screen. I thought Meagan Good was really strong as Joanna, the detective sent to infiltrate the rich and powerful family that she grew up with . . . as the daughter of the housekeeper/servant(?).

It's especially interesting that the lead actress and one of the other primary actors are African-American, yet the show hasn't, as far as I'm aware, made a big deal out of that. I think that's great, that this isn't billed as an "African-American show," but a mystery/soap that happens to have some primary characters who are African-American. There's not even an emphasis on Joanna's race/class, even that's an obvious part of the relationship between her and the murder victim that drives the main plot.
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Flop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 329
Do many shows make a point out of the race of the lead actors? I don't recall Scandal, Nikita, Last Resort, The Mindy Project, The Event or Undercovers doing it. (Yes, I know most of these were canceled/not renewed, but they were network examples I could think of with minority leads in the last year or two). I grant there are not a lot of shows with minority leads, but I don't recall any show going out of it's way to mention the race of its leads.

As for this show itself, I found it forgettable. I'll give it another episode or three, but wouldn't be upset if I found out it was canceled tomorrow.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
Doggie Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, USA
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
Do many shows make a point out of the race of the lead actors? I don't recall Scandal, Nikita, Last Resort, The Mindy Project, The Event or Undercovers doing it. (Yes, I know most of these were canceled/not renewed, but they were network examples I could think of with minority leads in the last year or two). I grant there are not a lot of shows with minority leads, but I don't recall any show going out of it's way to mention the race of its leads.
I guess not. "Undercovers," for some reason, struck me as a show that did kind of make a big deal out of its casting, but maybe that was more the TV critics than the producers.

"H 5-0" has quite a few Asian actors on it, and not many non-Asian minority actors (leads, recurring, or guest). But that makes sense given Hawaii's demographics. It would, in some ways, be insulting if the producers had made the 5-0 team the typical Hollywood multicultural cast . . . .
Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,780
I thought the show was just ok... I didn't love it and I didn't hate it.

I'll give it another episode or two to see where it goes.
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
JLucPicard
Registered User
 
JLucPicard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West St. Paul - Viking Country
Posts: 3,333
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I thought the show was just ok... I didn't love it and I didn't hate it.

I'll give it another episode or two to see where it goes.
This is pretty much where I am, but what I did get from watching the pilot is the feeling that I'm really not that interested in watching another show that centers around a rich family and the normally accompanying hoity-toity, better-than-you attitude most of the TV rich seem to have and all of what goes with it (greed, deceit, etc.). It just doesn't make me care for any of the characters.

I'll give it a couple more eps (mostly because of Victor Garber) to see if it evolves into something else, but if it stays the course it seems to be on, I'll more than likely drop it.
JLucPicard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop View Post
Do many shows make a point out of the race of the lead actors?
I must have totally missed it. What are you referring to, ads?

(While I too often make the reference to the "I have a TiVo, I don't watch ads" meme, I DO think I'm usually at least semi-aware of major ad campaigns.. but apparently missed this… Or else, like usual, I'm like Stephen Colbert and don't recognize race.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Flop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I must have totally missed it. What are you referring to, ads?

(While I too often make the reference to the "I have a TiVo, I don't watch ads" meme, I DO think I'm usually at least semi-aware of major ad campaigns.. but apparently missed this… Or else, like usual, I'm like Stephen Colbert and don't recognize race.)
I was responding to the OP. I didn't quote it since my post was the 2nd in the thread, and figured it would be fairly obvious to what I was referring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
It's especially interesting that the lead actress and one of the other primary actors are African-American, yet the show hasn't, as far as I'm aware, made a big deal out of that. I think that's great, that this isn't billed as an "African-American show," but a mystery/soap that happens to have some primary characters who are African-American. There's not even an emphasis on Joanna's race/class, even that's an obvious part of the relationship between her and the murder victim that drives the main plot.
I was responding to this from the OP.
Flop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 17,180
Oh, ok.. IMHO, it's great that that isn't mentioned. Who cares?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
I guess not. "Undercovers," for some reason, struck me as a show that did kind of make a big deal out of its casting, but maybe that was more the TV critics than the producers.

"H 5-0" has quite a few Asian actors on it, and not many non-Asian minority actors (leads, recurring, or guest). But that makes sense given Hawaii's demographics. It would, in some ways, be insulting if the producers had made the 5-0 team the typical Hollywood multicultural cast . . . .
Actually, it does not make sense that the actors on H50 would be Asian because Hawaiians are Polynesian/South Pacific Islanders. Hawaiians look very different from Koreans, Chinese or Japanese. But I don't watch H50, so I don't even know if the actors are Asian or whether the characters they play are supposed to be Asian or Hawaiian.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,429
I finally watched it last night. I rather enjoyed it. I'm sticking in.

Then I realized that it had been sitting there (I just recorded the Pilot ep to see if I'd like it, since I usually keep most things cleaned out from week to week) over a week and E02 had already aired. D'oh! Fortunately, E02 is re-airing on Saturday night, then E03 next Monday so - Whew!

I like Garber and Donovan, so those are two reasons I'm staying around. Also, right near the end, at a police station, I noticed that the actor who plays Batista in Dexter is in it. cool. Had to RW and look again as he was on for a split second to make sure it was him. It was his voice that actually caught my attention. Hope to see more of him. I've liked him since OZ.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |