TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Ghost image

Can I make a Ghost image of my Tivo drive and put it on a bigger drive or even a SSD?
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Samantha Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
Can I make a Ghost image of my Tivo drive and put it on a bigger drive or even a SSD?
I don't think it works that way. I have done that with XP but with this i have no idea.
Samantha Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Depends. What model Tivo?

With any model other than the Premiere/XL/XL4, you can use WinMFS to make a backup image or copy/expand to a new hard drive.
http://www.mfslive.org/winmfs/quickstart.htm

If you have a Premiere, you can only do a copy/expand to a new hard drive. It's not possible at this time to make a backup image for the Premiere software.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968

Putting an SSD drive in a Tivo will not gain you anything significant. You can decide for yourself. Read this thread.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=454580

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #4
mr.unnatural

I think he's talking about using Norton Ghost. The short answer is no. You need to use tools designed to work specifically with Linux and even more specifically with Tivo drives. The sticky threads contain everything you need to know about creating and restoring backup images to any model Tivo.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
You still need to tell us what model TiVo you're talking about.

It's on the sticker on the back, starts with TCD.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Thank you all for the fast replys. I'm going to get the model number for you when I get home(S3 with LED time on the front) and the version of ghost is Symantec Ghost Ver 11.5.1.2266 not norton. It is the full blown Corp version
Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

I did read that thread from TexasGrillChef. And I agree the it might not be worth it.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Thank you all for the fast replys. I'm going to get the model number for you when I get home(S3 with LED time on the front) and the version of ghost is Symantec Ghost Ver 11.5.1.2266 not norton. It is the full blown Corp version
FYI - Symantec is Norton under a new name.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
FYI - Symantec is Norton under a new name.
FYI: Norton is retail product line
Symantec is the corp product line and also the company name. It is two diffrent product lines to very diffrent levels of support. But thank you for the update.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
...S3 with LED time on the front...
Original S3, the TCD648250

You can make a truncated backup image with either the MFS Live cd v1.4 (which superceeds the old MFS Tools) or with WinMFS running on XP or newer.

I recommend using both and doing one of each.

You can also use either to migrate to a larger drive.

Take some time to look around at mfslive.org

If I'm not mistaken, Ghost is sort of IBM-PC/DOS/Windows-centric, and expects the MBR type of setup.

The TiVo uses a somewhat modified version of the old Apple Partition Map disk structure.

The MFS Live cd has a couple of utilities

dd

and

dd_rescue

which will copy stuff byte by byte, sort of "Xerox"-ing, which means they neither know about nor care what kind of disc structure is involved.

You should be able to use a 1TB in that TiVo with no particular hassles or problems.

You might be able to use 1.2TB of a 1.5TB drive, and I think some people have managed to use all of a 2TB, but I'm not sure just what special tricks they had to employ.

Go

Read

Learn

Come back

Ask more questions

Old 05-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Original S3, the TCD648250

You can make a truncated backup image with either the MFS Live cd v1.4 (which superceeds the old MFS Tools) or with WinMFS running on XP or newer.

I recommend using both and doing one of each.

You can also use either to migrate to a larger drive.

Take some time to look around at mfslive.org

If I'm not mistaken, Ghost is sort of IBM-PC/DOS/Windows-centric, and expects the MBR type of setup.

The TiVo uses a somewhat modified version of the old Apple Partition Map disk structure.

The MFS Live cd has a couple of utilities

dd

and

dd_rescue

which will copy stuff byte by byte, sort of "Xerox"-ing, which means they neither know about nor care what kind of disc structure is involved.

You should be able to use a 1TB in that TiVo with no particular hassles or problems.

You might be able to use 1.2TB of a 1.5TB drive, and I think some people have managed to use all of a 2TB, but I'm not sure just what special tricks they had to employ.

Go

Read

Learn

Come back

Ask more questions
Thank you that is some great info I will for sure read around. If I do try to Ghost my drive and move the image to a bigger drive and for whatever reason it does not work I can just go back to org drive right?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Thank you that is some great info I will for sure read around. If I do try to Ghost my drive and move the image to a bigger drive and for whatever reason it does not work I can just go back to org drive right?
The answer is don't waste the time with Ghost since it won't handle the oddly partitioned Tivo drive correctly, just jump right to WinMFS or MFS, they're built to handle this the right way.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The answer is don't waste the time with Ghost since it won't handle the oddly partitioned Tivo drive correctly, just jump right to WinMFS or MFS, they're built to handle this the right way.
even more good info I had no idea the drive was partitioned. But to late time wasted I pulled the drive out already but thank you I'm going to take it to work with me tomorrow and try it and and see what happens if it does not work I can always go the WinMFS route or MFS. What about drive speed will it matter if I use a 10k RPM drive or even a 15K drive?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Ok did some reading at mfslive thanks for all the advice and help. Looks like this is my best bet. The only last question I have is drive speed make or model do it matter?

Last edited by Surrealone : 05-30-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: cuz i can
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
...What about drive speed will it matter if I use a 10k RPM drive or even a 15K drive?
Do you want a TiVo or do want to be able to make grilled cheese sandwiches on top of it?

A drive that runs around 5400 to 6000 RPM is plenty speedy for a TiVo, anything faster just means unnecessary heat.

Do you have access to used drives at a particularly good price?

If so, what brand and model numbers?

Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #16
L David Matheny

Quote:
even more good info I had no idea the drive was partitioned. But to late time wasted I pulled the drive out already but thank you I'm going to take it to work with me tomorrow and try it and and see what happens if it does not work I can always go the WinMFS route or MFS. What about drive speed will it matter if I use a 10k RPM drive or even a 15K drive?
If you clone the drive with Ghost or Acronis or whatever, the copy may work, but it will not make use of any additional space on the new, larger drive.
L David Matheny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #17
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Do you want a TiVo or do want to be able to make grilled cheese sandwiches on top of it?

A drive that runs around 5400 to 6000 RPM is plenty speedy for a TiVo, anything faster just means unnecessary heat.

Do you have access to used drives at a particularly good price?

If so, what brand and model numbers?
No grilled cheese but that is pretty funny I have access to all size and shapes and speeds. most of the drives that I have are newer so most of them are 7200 I will try and stick with that. Gonna give it a go today with mfslive
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
If you clone the drive with Ghost or Acronis or whatever, the copy may work, but it will not make use of any additional space on the new, larger drive.
I know the older version of ghost would not write or would waste the space if you went from a smaller drive to a larger drive but this new version just takes a snapshot image and you can lay it on whatever size drive as long as the new drive has more space then the image size. And it can care less what OS it is. I boot to my network and attach to the ghost server and the ghost cast server takes picture of the image and saves it. I never even boot to OS.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Ok I have two boxes
custom linux swap size?
No Optimized partition layout?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
unitron

Quote:
Ok I have two boxes
custom linux swap size?
No Optimized partition layout?
Not sure what you mean by 2 boxes.

(sounds like you're using WinMFS)

For the TCD648250?

You do want the optimized layout. That's what they started using with the Series 2s. Only the S1 doesn't use it.

Old rule of thumb is 1MB of swap partition for every 2GB of drive, so if you're going with a 1TB drive, that would be 500MB.

If it were me, I'd go ahead with 1000, in case anyone figures out how to get that model TiVo to accept a 2TB drive and add a single MFS partition the way that jmfs does for Series 4s and the later Series 3s, the HD and the HD XL. That way it's already the right size and 1GB is only about 15 minutes of best quality video so it's not a huge sacrifice.

You do, of course, need to be going onto a drive at least as large (250GB) as the Tivo's original drive.

And after you're done, put the original drive up on a shelf somewhere as a backup and diagnostic tool. Don't re-use it for something else. False economy.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Ok I did start and I'm going from a 250 to 600 gig drive and yes WinMFS and yes TCD648250B it looks like it is stuck not much going on I see drive lights but not much else.
almost 1 hour now
Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #22
jrtroo
User

Are you copying your shows? That could make it take many many hours.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #23
unitron

Quote:
Ok I did start and I'm going from a 250 to 600 gig drive and yes WinMFS and yes TCD648250B it looks like it is stuck not much going on I see drive lights but not much else.
almost 1 hour now
WinMFS has a trick where it sits there and looks like it ain't doin' nuttin', just let it be and eventually it'll tell you that it's done and do you want to expand into the extra room on the 600.

What's the brand and model number on the sticker on top of that 600?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Are you copying your shows? That could make it take many many hours.
Yes
Next time I will delete movies first I have some pretty big movies on the drive kids movies like barbie stuff and cars 2.
This TiVo is in the kids TV room.

Quote:
WinMFS has a trick where it sits there and looks like it ain't doin' nuttin', just let it be and eventually it'll tell you that it's done and do you want to expand into the extra room on the 600.

What's the brand and model number on the sticker on top of that 600?
Ok I had a feeling that's what it was just wanted to check. WD600HLHX This is more of just a test to see if I can do it. If it works I will do a WD1TB green label drive
Old 05-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

screen shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (37.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 05-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Well I waited almost 7 hours and no change I think it is the big HD movies I have on the drive going to take it home put it back in the Tivo and clean it off first and try again tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #27
jrtroo
User

I have had it take 24 hours. Seriously.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I have had it take 24 hours. Seriously.
Ok thanks I'm going to go home and clean it off and try again and start it tonight let it run all night and all day tomorrow if need be.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #29
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
The answer is don't waste the time with Ghost since it won't handle the oddly partitioned Tivo drive correctly
It's not "oddly partitioned". It's a rather straightforward byte-swapped Apple partition.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #30
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It's not "oddly partitioned". It's a rather straightforward byte-swapped Apple partition.
sorry, I should have put the caveat "oddly partitioned to non-techs and a lot of disk partitioning software" disclaimer in there, we're not all experts out here...