TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
HarperVision

Quote:
TiVo has been active with a program that enables it to port its UI to MSO-leased hardware. On Monday, GCI of Alaska became the first North American service provider to launch the TiVo platform on the Pace-made XG1 video gateway. Meanwhile, ActiveVideo, Charter's new technology partner, recently demonstrated how its CloudTV H5 platform could run the TiVo UI on a wide array of devices,. including the DCT-2000 (a QAM-only digital cable set-top model), .a Roku box .and a connected TV.
From here:

http://www.multichannel.com/distribu...o-boxes/144908
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo showed something at the cable show back in June where their UI was in a web browser. I wonder if this is what "CloudTV H5" is?
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
HarperVision

My interest was piqued when I read the "Roku" comment!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
TiVo showed something at the cable show back in June where their UI was in a web browser. I wonder if this is what "CloudTV H5" is?
That could be something similar to how Slingbox does it via web that TiVo may offer as a feature.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
My interest was piqued when I read the "Roku" comment!
Dave posted a pic of the TiVo UI running on a Roku
http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-06/...ud-initiative/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah that was the thing I was talking about. Forgot what it was called. Apparently it was exactly this that they showed at the cable show.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
sbiller

I think this is probably not the technology TiVo would leverage for their "TiVoToGo Cloud Service". ActiveVideo actually renders everything in the Cloud and just streams video including the UI directly from the Cloud. TiVo has been talking up their investment in "Cloud technology" for quite some time during their investor calls so I think the personal cloud stuff will be the first retail reflection of that investment. The ActiveVideo stuff is what Charter is considering moving to in order to light-up legacy set-top boxes with a more modern UI/Ux.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
tomhorsley

The UI in a browser would be wonderful, especially if I could connect to the TiVo directly over the network with a web browser in order to control the thing. Then TiVo wouldn't need separate apps for every platform, you'd just use a web browser (which would mean it would work on linux and windows too, not just android and ios).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote