TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-03-2014, 02:23 AM   #10051
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

NEWS: WD renames "AV-GP" line of drives to "AV".

NEWS: WD renames "AV-GP" line of drives to "AV".

There are two WD Product SpecSheet PDFs now.

One PDF (old) is for "AV-GP", which only goes to 3TB.

The second (new) one is for "AV", which is the new name for the product refresh cycle. They dropped the "-GP". Includes 4TB model.
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...879-800015.pdf

I guess "AV" sounds sportier that "AV-GP". This is further proof that they are refreshing the line. I doubt it will bring anything good to the discussions here, likely more confusion, than anything.

From the new PDF:
WD AV (formally WD AV-GP) SATA hard drives store more
hi-def audio and video than ever before – up to 4 TB. They
are optimized with SilkStream™
technology to capture data
from up to 16 simultaneous HD video streams. With 24x7
operation, low temperature, and best-in-class reliability,
WD AV hard drives are ideal for DVR/PVR and IPTV
applications. 3-year limited warranty
Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #10052
valley_nomad

Thanks for the info on HD. However, I decided to continue using my current Hitachi HD by enabling AAM (Automatic Acoustic Management). But before doing it, I had to roll back the firmware to version 39C which is the last version with AAM support. Now the HD is very quiet with AAM level set to 128. I believe AAM may also reduce the power consumption and heat. The freezing frame issue seems to be improved as well.
valley_nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #10053
sender_name
I remember XM 202!

Just an Inquiry here...I've been searching the thread and need some clarity on steps

I have a Series 3 that shipped with the stock 250GB HD. I removed it at 2 months (12/2007) and used winmfs (via windows) to copy it to a 1TB and expand it.

That 1TB is now failing. (It may be due to years with the bad capacitors that I have since replaced).

I bought a WD20EURS on amazon for $74 and tried to use Winmfs (in windows) to copy the 1TB to the new 2TB. I monitored the I/O as it wrote to the drive and after about 4 hours it would get stuck in the same spot. I tried 3x and it kept getting stuck.

I made an Ubuntu Rescue Remix 12.04 boot disk. (I am a robot that can copy and execute commands but I don't always know what they do )
1. first I typed: Sudo Bash
2. then I typed: sudo lshw -C disk -short
-this showed me which drive was the 1TB and which the 2Tb
3. Now and I am using ddrescue to now copy the 1TB to the 2TB. I (command was: ddrescue -f -n /dev/sdb /dev/sdc tivo-rescue.log)

This seems to be working so far. Data is transferring and I am over 900,000 MB with 0 errors still.

Once this finishes it's my belief that (in case there are any unseen errors) I should
1. Place the 2TB drive in the tivo, power up and hold pause and run Kickstart 57 to force a repair of any disk errors
2. Then once that is confirmed to work remove the drive and run Winmfs in windows and use MFSadd to expand the drive (as I now believe that with 11.x.x the series 3 can handle the 2TB drive)
3. Now the drive returns to the Tivo for maximum awesomeness?

IS there anything wrong here? Or is this an acceptable way to do this? I didn't see the ddrescue option in the windows version of WINmfs and since I already had the Ubuntu Rescue Remix 12.04 disk burned I went with that.

Thanks all for any input!
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:34 PM   #10054
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sender_name View Post
2. Then once that is confirmed to work remove the drive and run Winmfs in windows and use MFSadd to expand the drive (as I now believe that with 11.x.x the series 3 can handle the 2TB drive)
I may be wrong, but it used to be that you could only expand an original image once. Since you expanded your original image to 1TB, I don't believe you can cloned the 1TB image and expanded it to 2TB. It won't work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Today, 07:45 PM   #10055
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
I may be wrong, but it used to be that you could only expand an original image once. Since you expanded your original image to 1TB, I don't believe you can cloned the 1TB image and expanded it to 2TB. It won't work.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Glad to. Yes, it used to be a problem but while I can't say for sure for an original Series 3, I had no problem re-expanding my 652160 from 1TB to 2TB.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:59 PM   #10056
worachj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Glad to. Yes, it used to be a problem but while I can't say for sure for an original Series 3, I had no problem re-expanding my 652160 from 1TB to 2TB.
Thanks! I hope it works for him.
Old Today, 08:23 PM   #10057
sender_name
I remember XM 202!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worachj View Post
Thanks! I hope it works for him.
It looks like I have 288 hours now (I had like 159 before) so it seems to be about 1.85TB if I do the math...IDK if some of it didn't expand or not. I am still finding issues with Fox Sports 1 on fios because while recording it appears to be recording but really is hung up on a gray screen like 20 min in...and then when you play it live to that spot it just stops and you have to stop the recording and re-record and it jumps 2+ hours to present time with everything in the middle not recorded. I didn't do the Kickstart 57, I'll try that after the Bruins game finishes. I would go insane if NESN started locking up. It's only been Fox sports one that I know of so far.

You know what...I just checked and the formatted size of a 2TB drive is like 1.8TB so it's probably correct but not "mega expanded" or whatever that last bit you can do with a series 3 is..

Last edited by sender_name : Today at 08:28 PM.
Old Today, 08:34 PM   #10058
lpwcomp

Quote:
You know what...I just checked and the formatted size of a 2TB drive is like 1.8TB so it's probably correct but not "mega expanded" or whatever that last bit you can do with a series 3 is..
Supersize, but if you had 159 hours on a 1TB, it was already supersized and it doesn't need to be done again. It's unfortunate that you didn't get a map of the drive. Also, did you use the most recent version of WinMFS?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:46 PM   #10059
unitron

Quote:
Just an Inquiry here...I've been searching the thread and need some clarity on steps

I have a Series 3 that shipped with the stock 250GB HD. I removed it at 2 months (12/2007) and used winmfs (via windows) to copy it to a 1TB and expand it.

That 1TB is now failing. (It may be due to years with the bad capacitors that I have since replaced).

I bought a WD20EURS on amazon for $74 and tried to use Winmfs (in windows) to copy the 1TB to the new 2TB. I monitored the I/O as it wrote to the drive and after about 4 hours it would get stuck in the same spot. I tried 3x and it kept getting stuck.

I made an Ubuntu Rescue Remix 12.04 boot disk. (I am a robot that can copy and execute commands but I don't always know what they do )
1. first I typed: Sudo Bash
2. then I typed: sudo lshw -C disk -short
-this showed me which drive was the 1TB and which the 2Tb
3. Now and I am using ddrescue to now copy the 1TB to the 2TB. I (command was: ddrescue -f -n /dev/sdb /dev/sdc tivo-rescue.log)

This seems to be working so far. Data is transferring and I am over 900,000 MB with 0 errors still.

Once this finishes it's my belief that (in case there are any unseen errors) I should
1. Place the 2TB drive in the tivo, power up and hold pause and run Kickstart 57 to force a repair of any disk errors
3. Now the drive returns to the Tivo for maximum awesomeness?

IS there anything wrong here? Or is this an acceptable way to do this? I didn't see the ddrescue option in the windows version of WINmfs and since I already had the Ubuntu Rescue Remix 12.04 disk burned I went with that.

Thanks all for any input!
As of v11.0h the original S3 and the HD and HD XL can handle 2TB drives.

With both WinMFS and the MFS Live cd v1.4, it's best to run

mfsadd

separately from any other operation (like a restore or an mfscopy). I don't know why, but that's just the way it is.

WinMFS will, if a third MFS pair has already been added in a previous expansion, further expand that 3rd MFS Media partition (assuming there's extra room on the end of the drive--which is probably called an Apple Free partition) instead of adding another MFS pair (which would put you one partition over the limit of 16).

I don't know if MFS Live can do that or not--never had enough spare TiVos and drives to do the experiment.

If running

mfscopy

or

restore

on the command line after booting from the MFS Live cd, skip the

-x

and

-z

options, and just go with

-pi

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:53 PM   #10060
sender_name
I remember XM 202!

Well I still have my original retail drive..So i could wipe the 2TB and then copy the Retail 250gb and then expand...but I have like 100 hours of shows on this one so it's going to be quite some time before I catch up enough to do it
Old Today, 09:09 PM   #10061
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

A 2TB drive should yield about 315 HD Hrs, after expanding and supersize.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:25 PM   #10062
unitron

Quote:
Well I still have my original retail drive..So i could wipe the 2TB and then copy the Retail 250gb and then expand...but I have like 100 hours of shows on this one so it's going to be quite some time before I catch up enough to do it
If that 1TB is failing, ice it up and "Xerox" it right now, or be prepared to lose all the shows on it in an instant.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote