TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #31
dhoward

Looks like everyone has VOD again. After I realized my P4 had recovered I checked my P2 which uses the SD menu's. When I tried to go to VOD it just sat there at the please wait screen forever. I finally forced my way back to the My Tivo screen. I then attempted to let it call home and it took forever to get past the negotiating process. I finally stop looking at the screen and went back to live TV. It finally made its connection and when I tried the VOD it worked fine. My Mini had a big error message, C133 or C131 I think, that basically said some of its features were unavailable and please wait. These features were all the apps and the search features. Based on all this I think the problem was on Tivos side of the house and not Comcast. All Comcast was going to do was a useless truck roll. Tivo knew there was a problem but never passed that info to the CSR's causing a great deal of aggravation. It is not so much that there was a problem it is that no one could provide info on it and causes the customer to have to get frustrated dealing with both Comcast and Tivo and getting nowhere. Maybe Margret will read this thread and institute some method so we can tell which company is at fault and maybe a time frame for repair. That is all either one had to say and I would have been happy.
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #32
kenkuenzel

Yes the service is back up. In a thread on the Tivo site, they informed my the Comcast servers had a power outage and went down on Sunday. While the Comcast server was down and they should have had the good network practices to identify this, this is as much as a Tivo problem as anything else. Apparently, they could see requests from the many effected Tivo systems and the Comcast servers and could now see them working. Part of a well designed, well run network is the ability to use the various parts to help isolate faults and restore services. In this case, it appears the Tivo systems knew that all the individual users were making requests, that got to/through them and failed when talking to the Comcast servers. If they had bothered to monitor these failed requests or looked when the calls started coming in, they could have quickly informed Comcast of the issue. It appears there is little or no collaboration between the two companies to insure that we all get good service. At the very least, Tivo could have pointed Comcast in the right direction and avoided all the 'refresh signals', 'truck rolls', and other useless customer service requests. What needs to happen here, is that Tivo needs to be forced to take responsibility for the all the apps that run on its platform, especially the ones where their infrastructure is involved in the complicated network dance. Services and servers will always fail, we all understand that. A well run network can quickly recover from the failures and restore service. The Tivo infrastructure had the key to saving us all a lot of grief and getting the service restored. They choose to be lazy and leave us all hanging for a lot longer than was necessary. Comcast will never care about a few Tivo outliers. Tivo should.
kenkuenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #33
dhoward

Very well said. I could not agree more. This is a perfect example of poor customer service. I requested TivoMargret to view this thread. Maybe she can use this as a what not to do when customers are seeking help. If Tivo wants to draw new customers from the Cable Companies they have to show that their service is better when a problem develops. Oh well at least we have VOD back
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote