TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
Zevida
witless and unarmed

The Walking Dead Season 3 Title Sequence *Spoilers Likely*

I've noticed in the first few episodes of the season that there's more meaning behind the imagery and placement of the actors' names than there were in the opening used in season 1 and 2. I decided to do an analysis and thought it would be fun as its own thread.

Expect spoilers through the currently aired episode, but please try to refrain from future spoilers or comics spoilers, or spoiler tag them.

Here goes! Hopefully I don't just talk to myself and you don't just make fun of me for analyzing the credits.

AMC Presents
Abandonded cars on a country road. Evokes the traffic jam from season 2, as well as the abandoning of the farm at the end of the season. Everything is in disarry. Things are going off the rails - cars in the distance off the side of the road.

Andrew Lincoln (Rick)
A newspaper blows away to reveal the sheriff's deputy badge underneath. Rick has hidden or put aside his roots as a lawman - but they are still there below the surface. Could foreshadow his return to those roots - or at the very least that he will again stand on the side of good and righteousness against the Governor.

Sarah Wayne Callies (Lori) and then quickly
Laurie Holden (Andrea)
There is a centipede of some kind crawling over what looks like shell casings. The shell casings foreshadow Lori's death and could indicate that Andrea will need to fight or is in danger as well. Their names do not share the screen at the same time, but the same image is used for both of them.

Norman Reedus (Daryl)
Arrows - duh! Daryl's primary weapon is a crossbow. But, it is not just one arrow, it is two arrows. That could signify the return of Meryl, or it could foreshadow a relationship for Daryl, perhaps with Carol which they've been flirting with since the end of season 2. Generally, it just seems to indicate that Daryl is no longer alone.

Quick fade to a house, looks like the farmhouse from season 2. No names, immediately fades to the next scene.

Steven Yeun (Glenn)
This is a pocket watch with the clock moving very quickly. I can't remember where the pocket watch came from - was it Dale's? I do remember it being important to Glenn. Time on the watch is moving fast, which shows how Glenn is developing, from a kid who took risks into a man who has responsibilities a relationship, and perhaps now, a family.

Lauren Cohan (Maggie)
A graveyard. Maggie lost much of her family last season, and I wouldn't be surprised if she loses the rest of it this season. Hershel's already down a limb!

Chandler Riggs (Carl)
Flowers in focus in the foreground change to an abandoned house in focus in the background. I believe the flowers were the ones that represented Sophia and so represent Carl's childhood, lovely, happy, good, playing with other children, going to school. But Carl has had to grow up fast and is now better represented by the building. He is cold, hard, and alone. His mother is now dead and his father is as cold and hard as he is. Carl the child has been abandoned, just like the house.

Danai Gurira (Michonne)
The bottom of a closed door. There is darkness on the near side of the door and light on the far side. We can see shadows moving. This represents both Michonne's hidden strength - she is staying cool and calm, biding her time before attacking - as well as her ability to see the hidden danger in the Governor's town.

Michael Rooker (Merle)
Close up of an eye, looks as thought it is a black man. The eye is bloodshot and is looking away, blinks and then the camera changes and the eye is seen closer. Merle is looking out for his best interests. He is also one that needs to be closely watched because of that. He is also seeking his brother - looking for him. There could be something around T-Dog, since the eye is from a black man, and T-Dog was the reason Merle was left on the roof in season 1, but that's more of a stretch.

Brief shots of the interior of a house. Abandoned, in disarry. The camera moves quickly through a kitchen/dining room towards some windows.

David Morrissey (the Governor)
The Governor is darkness (the disarry of the kitchen/dining area) and light (the windows with the shining sunlight and the fluttering curtains). There is some hope and good he has created with his town, but it is surrounded by darkness and if light shone on those parts of the house (the town), the mess would be seen by all.

Now we are in an hallway of a house, facing the front door. The door is open with sun shining in. The camera moves quickly out the door and shows the middle of the woods. Various shots of the prison, abandonded towns, tattered flag as the producers and creator credits are given.

The Walking Dead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Shaunnick

Nothing to add, I just found your post interesting and wanted you to know I enjoyed reading it.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
Nothing to add, I just found your post interesting and wanted you to know I enjoyed reading it.
Same here. I don't have much to add, but I liked what you wrote.

I really like the show's opening credits. Before the show first aired but after it was announced and the cast was in place, a fan came up with his own version of the credits, done in the style of the comics. This seems like a good thread to mention it in, if anyone here hasn't seen it before:

THE WALKING DEAD "Opening Titles" HD
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
trnsfrguy
Advanced !

I liked your post also.
As for Glenn, Hershel gave him the watch. I guess it was his way of accepting Glenn and Maggie's relationship.
MK code 1762-3068-7645/ Carlos

trnsfrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
Same here. I don't have much to add, but I liked what you wrote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsfrguy View Post
I liked your post also.
As for Glenn, Hershel gave him the watch. I guess it was his way of accepting Glenn and Maggie's relationship.
Thanks for the feedback!

I couldn't remember where the watch came from, but I knew it was an older figure. That it came from Hershel is even more meaningful to Glenn becoming a responsible adult with a family.

I will be interested to see if they change it with Lori's death - do they just remove Sarah Wayne Callies? Leave her in?

I feel like there is more to connect Lori and Andrea because they are the only characters that share the same image in the title sequence, but maybe they just did it because they knew Lori was going to die early and then they'd just remove her and it would only be for Andrea.

- billypritchard
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Interesting analysis. For me, the opening credits means "badoop, badoop" and then they're over. I think I watched the original ones once, and hadn't bothered watching the new ones for this season at all.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I love the credits for The Walking Dead. I never fast forward through them!

- billypritchard
Old 11-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
SoBelle0
What's next?

This is really cool, Zevida!

I'll have to admit, I usually FF them, as well. I hope the last ep is still on the TiVo, now! I want to re-watch.
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
sharkster

Thanks! I printed it and am going to have to watch the opening creds with it. I am one who always FFs through the opening so I haven't caught any of this.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Beryl

Nice Zevida. I always enjoy the opening but your analysis gives me more to observe. Excellent.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Zevida
witless and unarmed

After you all watch the opening through fresh eyes be sure to come back here and post your thoughts!

I might go back and watch the Season 1/2 opening and see if I can pull more from that.

- billypritchard