TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #31
Series3Sub

To the OP: It really is a matter if you want OTA, Cable, or Sat services. Both the TiVo Roamio line and the Hopper are excellent DVR's with nearly identical features, and both have their annoying fees. You can't go wrong with either service or systems. The only downside for TiVo is the stupid CableCards. This is not TiVo's fault but the cable companies fault. Some people are doing OK with Cable Card, but others are having living nightmares. Also, there is the additional expense of the CC and the cable cos. still finding way to INCREASE the monthly fees for CableCard.

For you, look at what each has to offer as far as channels, and, of course, crunch the numbers. No matter which you choose, it should be a good experience.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #32
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
2TB / 2000 hours = 2.4Mbps. There is no way they could do decent HD video in 2.4Mbps, so it has to be referring to SD. My new TiVo Roamio Pro with 3TB says 470 hours of HD. Which means TiVo assumes an average bitrate of about 14Mbps for HD. Even with H.264 you typically only see a 40% savings so that would still be about 8Mbps, so a 2TB drive would only hold about 550 hours of HD.
You also need to account for MPEG4 HD streams, the use of 8PSK to allow more throughput and Turbo Coding for even more throughput, and the hardware in sat boxes that exploit software that allows for high quality HD PQ at the users end while using less bandwidth and requiring less data to sent to the home.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #33
ncted

Rather than starting a new thread on this subject, I decided to resurrect this one. I currently have Dish Network and the original Hopper with 1 Joey. I like it fine, but the price is excessive given we also pay for access to Amazon Prime, Netflix, and iTunes. The interface can be a little sluggish at times, especially since they added Apps and "You Might Also Like". Dish PQ could be better -- it is between TWC and DirecTV in my experience. The Hopper has more space than I ever expect to need. It never gets more than 40% full, even with full seasons of shows and lots of movies we plan to watch. AutoHop is nice, but isn't a must-have.

I dislike the bundling of channels that cable/satellite requires. I am paying for way more than I will ever watch. If I were to just buy the shows we watch on iTunes, we would still pay less than paying for Dish every month, and it is the cheapest pay TV option I have right now. If I get an OTA DVR and factor in Amazon and Netflix, the price goes down even more. I don't need cable to get sports because we just don't watch them, and I can wait for shows that come on HBO/Showtime/Starz to come out on iTunes or Blu-Ray.

My question is this: From a purely functional standpoint, how does the base Roamio as an OTA DVR compare to the Hopper? What I am looking for is an easy to use, reliable, DVR which is not a pain to deal with, like the Premier was when I tried it out. I would add a Mini for sure and maybe a Stream later on to take some shows with us on the iPad when we travel. I'd be interested in how the mini compares to the Joey as well.

Thanks,
Ted
Old 04-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #34
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted View Post
What I am looking for is an easy to use, reliable, DVR which is not a pain to deal with, like the Premier was when I tried it out.
Were you saying the Premier was easy to use, reliable or a pain to deal with?
Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Sounds like he's saying the Premiere was a pain to deal with.

I'd say in general, the Roamio experience is nothing like what the Premiere was.
However, I might hold off on getting one until TiVo sorts out the mess they created with the last update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #36
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Sounds like he's saying the Premiere was a pain to deal with.

I'd say in general, the Roamio experience is nothing like what the Premiere was.
However, I might hold off on getting one until TiVo sorts out the mess they created with the last update.
I have had no problems with the last software update.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:44 AM   #37
atmuscarella

Quote:
My question is this: From a purely functional standpoint, how does the base Roamio as an OTA DVR compare to the Hopper? What I am looking for is an easy to use, reliable, DVR which is not a pain to deal with, like the Premier was when I tried it out. I would add a Mini for sure and maybe a Stream later on to take some shows with us on the iPad when we travel. I'd be interested in how the mini compares to the Joey as well.

Thanks,
Ted
I am guessing you will not find very many people that have actually had and used a Dish Hopper DVR and a Base Roamio DVR for OTA.

I do have a Roamio I use for OTA only and it is easy to use and reliable however I can not compare it to a Hopper as I have never seen one.

Just some random thoughts -
  1. With the Roamio when used with OTA "reliability" is mostly affected by how well it receives your OTA signals. If you have no reception issues it will be very reliable.
  2. Easy of use is in the eyes of the beholder. It may take you some time to get used to how TiVo's UI works compared to the hopper's as they are different, but after you go through the learning curve I think you will find it is a good UI and easy to use.

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #38
ncted

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Were you saying the Premier was easy to use, reliable or a pain to deal with?
The Premier was a pain for me due to reception issues, probably muti-path related since the TivoHD I had worked just fine with OTA, and buggy software, resulting is unpredictable reboots. The UI was fine, if slow in HD mode. I had DirecTivos for years and loved them, so I am familiar with using Tivos.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #39
ncted

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I am guessing you will not find very many people that have actually had and used a Dish Hopper DVR and a Base Roamio DVR for OTA.
Yes, that is my conundrum. I will probably try out the Roamio while I still have the Hopper, so I can compare, but I was hoping to come across someone who has at least some familiarity with both.

-Ted
Old 04-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #40
Bigg

The big part of the decision is DISH vs. Cable. If you don't watch sports, and don't watch much other TV, then you might be able to cut the cord, in which case the discussion is about OTA DVRs including Roamio, and Hopper is irrelevant. If you're going to have a standard "cable" subscription, then the big discussion is DISH/Hopper vs. Cable/TiVo, and to be fair, you have to include DirecTV/Genie. That can depend a lot on the market. DISH doesn't even bother to compete anywhere in the NYC market or CT, due to lack of SNY and YES, so I'm a little biased against them (even though as a Red Sox fan... but I need my SNY for basketball). They are the cheapest of all the major MSOs, but you get what you pay for...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #41
ncted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
The big part of the decision is DISH vs. Cable. If you don't watch sports, and don't watch much other TV, then you might be able to cut the cord, in which case the discussion is about OTA DVRs including Roamio, and Hopper is irrelevant. If you're going to have a standard "cable" subscription, then the big discussion is DISH/Hopper vs. Cable/TiVo, and to be fair, you have to include DirecTV/Genie. That can depend a lot on the market. DISH doesn't even bother to compete anywhere in the NYC market or CT, due to lack of SNY and YES, so I'm a little biased against them (even though as a Red Sox fan... but I need my SNY for basketball). They are the cheapest of all the major MSOs, but you get what you pay for...
What my wife and I are discovering is that we don't watch any sports other than the Olympics, and what we do watch from non-OTA sources, aside from HBO series, is all on streaming within a year or so. If we were to stay with a pay TV provider, Dish is our only real choice. TWC is horrible, and we have no LOS for DirecTV.

Thanks,
Ted
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #42
Bigg

Quote:
What my wife and I are discovering is that we don't watch any sports other than the Olympics, and what we do watch from non-OTA sources, aside from HBO series, is all on streaming within a year or so. If we were to stay with a pay TV provider, Dish is our only real choice. TWC is horrible, and we have no LOS for DirecTV.

Thanks,
Ted
Even the Olympics are partially only on cable. My point is that streaming and OTA can not, and for the forseeable future, will not replace cable. "Cutting the cord" is fine for people who don't watch much, if any, TV in the first place, but it is not a replacement for cable/satellite/telcoTV.

So if you barely watch TV in the first place, then it would probably not make sense to pay for TV. Streaming doesn't have much to do with that...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #43
mattack

Quote:
I like it fine, but the price is excessive given we also pay for access to Amazon Prime, Netflix, and iTunes.
Wow, I'm amazed you get all of those AND DISH. (I have Amazon Prime, largely to 'play' with the video, but I use it sporadically.. I have thought of resubscribing to Netflix for a month or so to catch up on their originals and a couple other things they have exclusively that I care about.)

Quote:
Even the Olympics are partially only on cable. My point is that streaming and OTA can not, and for the forseeable future, will not replace cable. "Cutting the cord" is fine for people who don't watch much, if any, TV in the first place, but it is not a replacement for cable/satellite/telcoTV.
For the Olympics, the "big events" are on the broadcast network (I think NBC for the foreseeable future).

I also think that your statement is not true of most people. I watch tons of TV.. I have _two_ Tivos that REQUIRE cable (Premiere 4 and Roamio -- I should sell one since I now have tons of tuners).. But the MAJORITY of the shows I watch, and I think is true for many people, are the broadcast stations. (You may say then why do I have cable? Because I _do_ watch cable shows, and even though I could watch many via other means nowadays, I couldn't watch them as easily _without_ commercials.. Also, while this is less true nowadays, when I originally got cable, the cable signal was generally more reliable than an antenna I had to rotate in different directions for different channels.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:14 AM   #44
ncted

Quote:

So if you barely watch TV in the first place, then it would probably not make sense to pay for TV. Streaming doesn't have much to do with that...
We only watch the evening NBC Olympics broadcast (which we almost didn't get to see due to a contract dispute), and even then, we FF through a lot of it. I've considered all that we watch, and the only thing not available on OTA/Streaming/iTunes is the Suze Orman show in CNBC. There used to be a free video podcast on iTunes, but it is audio only now.

There are a lot of advantages to streaming, including lack of commercials (except Hulu of course), and paying less for more appealing content. With Cable/Satellite, I pay for hundreds of channels with shows I don't care about just so I can get the few I do want to see. I already have to subscribe to Netflix and Amazon to get certain content I want to see, so why not watch more on those services for the same price? I may be paying for a lot of shows I won't watch on streaming services, but I will be paying a lot less in general, so the value proposition is better.

Also, not paying for Dish frees up money I can spend on cable shows on iTunes that don't have commercials and the money I spend is targeted directly to that show, not some channel I care nothing for. Anyway, I am not looking to "replace cable." I am looking for a solution that fits our content interests and financial needs better than cable.

Last edited by ncted : Today at 07:21 AM.
ncted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #45
ncted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wow, I'm amazed you get all of those AND DISH. (I have Amazon Prime, largely to 'play' with the video, but I use it sporadically.. I have thought of resubscribing to Netflix for a month or so to catch up on their originals and a couple other things they have exclusively that I care about.)
Well, we get Amazon mainly for the shipping, but we have watched it a lot more lately. We actually prefer it to Netflix as the apps load more quickly and it seems less likely to suffer buffering issues. Netflix we get for the original series and movies. iTunes is for stuff we can't find elsewhere. Apparently, we are very picky in what we like to watch, so we have to source content from various places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I also think that your statement is not true of most people. I watch tons of TV.. I have _two_ Tivos that REQUIRE cable (Premiere 4 and Roamio -- I should sell one since I now have tons of tuners).. But the MAJORITY of the shows I watch, and I think is true for many people, are the broadcast stations. (You may say then why do I have cable? Because I _do_ watch cable shows, and even though I could watch many via other means nowadays, I couldn't watch them as easily _without_ commercials.. Also, while this is less true nowadays, when I originally got cable, the cable signal was generally more reliable than an antenna I had to rotate in different directions for different channels.)
Luckily all my stations are in the same direction other than PBS, which is so close, I don't need to point an antenna in that direction to receive it.