TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
lyriclisa

Almost a Tivo owner!

My Tivo will be delivered today, and I picked up my cable card yesterday so I'm all set! Guess I won't be getting any other work done tonight until I have it all set up. I can't wait to have recording back again!!!
lyriclisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
atmuscarella

Congrats - which TiVo did you get?
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

You're all set if your cable system doesn't use SDV, which a large number of them do. In that case you'll also neeed a TA box. Sometimes it's not easy to determine this so post your cable co and location so others here can help you.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
lyriclisa

I got a Premiere that was upgraded with a 2TB hard drive.

My cable company is RCN (Lehigh Valley) - what's a TA box?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyriclisa View Post
I got a Premiere that was upgraded with a 2TB hard drive.

My cable company is RCN (Lehigh Valley) - what's a TA box?
A tuning adapter. Your cable company *should* have provided you one along with the cable card if you need it. I need to pick up one tomorrow because Cox is implementing switched digital video (SDV) in my market this month for certain digital channels.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

As far as I can tell, exploring the RCN Lehigh Valley web pages, you do not have SDV and it is actually a fiber optic system. Interesting that they directly rent various TiVo boxes, see here:
http://www.rcn.com/lehigh-valley/dig...e-tv/equipment
I assume these boxes are modified to provide enhancements on the RCN system, such as ordering On Demand directly via the Tivo remote. Unless you purchased an RCN TiVo (if that is even possible) you probably won't have the enhanced features.

My TA has caused 99% of the problems that have made the TiVo experience far from reliable for me.
(Actually not just the TA but the way it interoperates with other system components). So you're lucky you won't have to have one.

RCN's bundles for Internet and digital TV are much lower priced, and have higher internet download speeds, than what I get with Time Warner. The only catch would be if RCN has data caps on their internet.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 03-19-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
lyriclisa

I'm not really interested in the features you can get with an RCN Tivo, so I'd rather own my own with lifetime, keep it for as long as I want or sell it when I'm done.

In general I don't have a lot of complaints with RCN - I was paying WAY too much until recently. The current deals are pretty good in my opinion.

Now I need to get a new router so I can actually get the full speed from my modem.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Based on my reading of the available information, if RCN ever does institute SDV, they wil do via IP back-channel rather than TA.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
1Scooby1

Congrats, you will love it!
1Scooby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
As far as I can tell, exploring the RCN Lehigh Valley web pages, you do not have SDV and it is actually a fiber optic system.
http://www.rcn.com/j/fiber

Is this FTTP or FTTN? I suspect it is an HFC (Hybrid Fiber Coax) system with Fiber to the node and Coax to the home.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
http://www.rcn.com/j/fiber

Is this FTTP or FTTN? I suspect it is an HFC (Hybrid Fiber Coax) system with Fiber to the node and Coax to the home.
It's FTTN. FiOS is here in the Valley as well, so they sometimes use the "we're fiber optic too" angle in marketing, but they're not the same. RCN's not bad here. If I didn't have Fios I would choose them.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
lyriclisa

Well, I wasn't as prepared as I thought! I had neglected to research the wireless adapter well enough and found out last night that I need one. And then of course, I recently found out that I need to upgrade my router from wireless G to N (to take advantage of my new 50 Mbps cable modem). Fortunately, I had started the research on that already, so last night I ordered a new router, and the Tivo wireless adapter.

Both should be here in a few days, then hopefully I'll have everything I need to do the install!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Just FYI:

FTTN = "Fiber to the node"
FTTP = "Fiber to the premises"

And "node" means essentially a neighborhood. Clearly FTTP is superior. My TWC is neither and when I asked a service supervisor when they might go either way his answer was roughly translated as "never". Well that's certainly worth paying TWC's higher rates for isn't it?

and
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
mattack

You could use a router in bridge mode instead of a Tivo wireless adapter, and then you'd be able to connect other things (e.g. game consoles) at the same location.. Plus, a router to use in bridge mode is likely cheaper.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote