TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Shooter3k

upgraded Premiere boot loop after fall update

I have 3 Premiere's.....2 of them are the XL version and 1 is the regular version I updated with a 1GB drive. Last night, all 3 Tivo's received the fall update. However, the upgraded one is now boot looping.

I'm thinking my only option is to put the original drive back in, apply the fall update, then copy that image back over to the original 1gb drive that was in the tivo. If this is done, i obviously lose my recordings but what other options do I have?

Any suggestions?
Shooter3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Most likely your 1 TB drive might fail again. I would use a diagnostic program on it first.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Would it be a Western Digital drive?

Try pulling the Plug, Hard reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Last Updated: August/12/2010.

[*] Where are the Western Digital "Green" drives? Weren't those recommended before?

Western Digital "Green" drives are the quietest 1TB drives available, but all of those drives are now manufactured with an Intellipark feature that cause both the TivoHD and Series3 to hang after a software reboot. These hangs occur after restarts initiated through the TiVo menus and restarts that follow software updates. These drives only boot correctly in a TivoHD/Series3 after the power plug is pulled. These updated drives will not boot at all in the Series2.

This issue affects all recently manufactured Western Digital EADS, EARS, and EAVS drives. It also affects EVVS drives manufactured after September 18 and EVDS drives manufactured since November. Drives built prior to these dates work perfectly fine; they do not exhibit the issue. The manufacture date is printed on the top of every drive.

For newly built Western Digital "Green" drives that exhibit this issue, TCF member drey discovered a method to disable the Intellipark feature on these drives, thereby making them fully compatible with the TiVo (i.e. no more "soft reboot" issue). Instructions below:
Quote:
Download this bootable CD with wdidle3.exe. Burn the ISO file to any CD-R disk using Windows 7, OS X, or a free program like ImgBurn.

Connect the affected WD drive to any available SATA connector on your motherboard.

If you have a newer PC, you may need to enter your PC bios and temporarily switch your SATA controller to EIDE mode from AHCI/RAID. This change is needed before a bootable DOS CD can detect the drive on some newer PCs.

Boot from the above CD - hit "Enter" within 15 seconds to boot to DOS and then run "wdidle3 /S300".

A message should indicate "Idle3 Timer is enabled and set to 300 seconds (5 minutes)." That means you were successful.

That's it. You should no longer have the "soft-reboot" problem.

The procedure only works for drives connected directly to a computer with SATA or eSATA. It does not work for drives connected with a USB -> SATA adapter.

This procedure has no affect on the TiVo software, settings, or recordings on the drive, so it can be performed before or after a backup and restore.

If you think you may have installed one of these newer Western Digital "Green" drives in your TiVo, but are not sure, there is a simple test. Restart your TiVo through the Messages & Settings -> Restart or Reset TiVo menu. If your TiVo boots properly (give it ten minutes), then you have an older drive that does not exhibit the issue. If the TiVo refuses to boot until you pull the power plug, then the procedure described above should eliminate that problem. It has no known ill effects and it will not affect your TiVo software or recordings.

Last edited by Leon WIlkinson : 10-31-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Leon WIlkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
jfh3

Good plan. The boot loop (if to the first screen) is more than likely related to a hard drive problem.

You could also just use the original drive for a new upgrade and apply the updated sw to the new drive. That's how I do it, keeping the original drive untouched.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Shooter3k

I probably should have clarified on some of the details...sorry about that.

This is a western digital drive but it's a black label version and not a green version.

Also, this drive had been trouble free for the last year or so and only had the problem once it got the fall update.

I'm going to install the old drive and run the update to see how things work out.

Thanks for everyone's advice so far.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Shooter3k

The original drive worked and didn't boot loop after the fall update. I guess now I have to try getting the old drive working again...
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
jcthorne

Not sure what you think a black label has to do with this but a boot loop is likely a failing drive. The update changed which partition the tivo boots from, sounds like the drive has bad or failing sectors there.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote