TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
myrick_69

Ghost transfer

i have a ghost transfer going and am unable to stop it i have power cycled the DVR's and the computer, the transfer does not show up on either to do list any ideas what i need to do?
myrick_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

IOW the Tivo *thinks* a transfer is happening (blue light is on) but nothing is being transferred? Is this a transfer from your computer, or a VOD source? The blue light illuminates for either.

If from a computer, this can happen occasionally, especially if you are using the Tivo Desktop software.
First thing to check, make sure the Tivo Server is running on your computer. I have a problem with the Tivo Server crashing on my Win 7 PC. If it crashes in the middle of the transfer, data flow stops but the blue light will remain lit. Most of the time I can restart the Tivo Server and the transfer continues. Other times I have been able to cancel and restart the transfer.

A transfer in progress 'should' show up in your Now Playing (My Shows) list or on the To Do list. If you don't see a listing on your Now Playing (My Shows) list or To Do list with a blue icon beside it, then you have a true "ghost" transfer.

Something to try (what worked for me when I encountered this anomaly):
First, if you have any transfers scheduled in the To Do List, cancel all of them and reboot the Tivo (This step may not be necessary, as it was just something I did in the process of troubleshooting my problem). Ignore this step if you don't have transfers scheduled in the TDL.

On the Tivo, set up a transfer from the computer (it might help if you still have a file that you know has transferred successfully in the past. At the very least, make sure it isn't the same file you tried transferring before). You should get the 'Will Transfer Later' screen. Click OK and go back to Live TV.
At this point, remove power from the Tivo (pull the plug, do not rely on the menu restart), computer, AND your router.
Wait 30 seconds.
Reboot router -> computer -> Tivo, in that order, waiting for each device to fully boot before you start the next.
When the Tivo fully boots, it should start transferring the newly requested file.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 05-10-2012 at 08:30 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
A transfer in progress 'should' show up in your Now Playing (My Shows) list. It won't be in the To Do List
Transfers in progress do show in the To Do List
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
lpwcomp

What is the indicator of the phantom transfer?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
ggieseke

Reboot the TiVo without a network connection and let it run for a while that way. Once it trys to download the "phantom" transfer without any network it will delete the request (what ever it is).
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Transfers in progress do show in the To Do List
You are correct. Thanks for setting me straight.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Reboot the TiVo without a network connection and let it run for a while that way. Once it trys to download the "phantom" transfer without any network it will delete the request (what ever it is).
Interesting. I'll have to remember this trick.

F*CK CANCER!